So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

Finished up the S.C.E. novel Orphans. Not the best but not horrific either.

Started to crack Declassified

2. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading Walter Mosley's "The Wave"...

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It's been about a decade since I last tried to read The Wheel of Time, so I figured it'd be best to start from the very beginning.

4. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Finished "The Wave"....

Coulda been great, but fell short after the first half....

I'm currently re-reading "Somebody Owes Me Money"....

(Then I have to do some reluctant readings for classes)...:lol:

5. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You will like Star Wars: Darth Plagueis. I've read 151 pages of it so far and it is a very intense novel in some places. :techman:

6. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished Star Wars: Choices of One by Timothy Zahn, a follow-up to his Allegiance (2006). A small band of 'rogue' stormtroopers -- deserters turned do-good vigilantes -- hooks up with Mara Jade, the Emperor's Hand, to deal with a case of treason. It seems an Imperial governor in the hinterlands is offering the Rebels (who just recently destroyed the Death Star) a base in return for their assistance in resisting the expansion of a mysterious alien overlord. Luke, Leia, and Han have gone to see if this offering is a trap, and presently all of the characters are involved in a tangled plot of intrigue with plenty of action. Quite enjoyable, though I preferred reading about Jade and the Stormtroopers more than anyone else. Thrawn and Pallaeon are present, as well.

One of the secondary characters, a mysterious masked man named Lord Odo, confused me throughout the novel. I kept reading his lines in Constable Odo's gruff voice. Considering that Odo is supposed to mean 'unknown', and Lord Odo's identity and mission are a secret to the main characters, I wonder if it's a reference on Zahn's part..

7. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    ^ I always took that as read myself. (if you pardon the pun).

I still fell for what should have been an obvious twist at the end of that book.:lol: I hope that Zhan writes more Star Wars...

I've also started on Darth Plagueis and thus far am loving it. (I did spent the first few chapters eagerly awaiting Palpatine's appearance. What can I say, as a character he's a very effective complete monster, even more so in this book.) Some very intriguing looks into both Sith philosophy and galactic politics and great characterizations make this a worthy addition to the star wars universe. (And I'm not even half way through yet...)

I'm currently reading my way through the Laundry series by Charles Stross. Its basically the British civil service vs Lovecraftian horrors with a lot of computer geek in jokes and homages to other horror/thriller writers. For example, the second book is a pastiche of the James Bond novels.
    It's a lot better than I made it sound.;)

8. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Whose side are we supposed to be on? :p

9. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Well, you and I are both British and I've worked in Her Majesties Civil Service so...

Cthulhu wgah'nagl fhtagn it is.:lol:

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Most unlikely. The name Odo has existed for over 12 centuries; it hardly originated with DS9. It's a Germanic name related to "Otto" (actually meaning "rich person"), and was common in the Middle Ages. There are a number of nobles, clerics, and other famous people who have borne the name over the centuries, and it's been used in works of fiction predating DS9 such as Lord of the Rings and The Dispossessed.

11. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

That's on my must-read list for this year: I may have to buy it if my library never picks it up. Palpatine is fantastic villain. Have you read the Darth Bane books?

I've heard of Odoacer before, but not the shortened version. I suppose I'm not surprised: a lot of proper names in Trek history that sound interesting have obscure roots in Earth's own cultures. Still, if "Lord Odo" had been a shapeshifter... :lol:

12. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I finished 'The Hunger Games'- pretty good, quick read.

Just started 'One Day', by David Nicholls. Haven't seen the film so don't spoil it for me.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Cross by Scott Mariani:)

14. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

Well I just finshed DEEP SPACE NINE Number 3 : Bloodletter by the wonderful K W Jeter who finished this book by nailing all the Deep Space characters dead on as they were in early season 1 ! Plus the idea of impulse bufferes while entering the wormhole was still in use, the CArdies are the good old Biff Tannen of the week, and of course there's that goofy Bajoran politics roaring its ugly head. So all in all this is a nostalgic book for sure, and as a kid the only DeepSpace book they didnt have at my waldenbooks, therefore the only DeepsPace book number 1 to to 19 i didnt have. I did get out of Star Trek around that time from being od'd and burnt out from it. But i loved this book the end was too simple and left me with more questions but all in all 3 popcorns.

oh i had finshed Eddie Guerrerros Autobiography after that and while prevous World Wrestling Fedeation autobiographies by Mankind (Mick Foley), HBK SHawn Michaels, Rocky "The Rock" Maivia, and Stone Cold Steve Austin were all good in thier own style for each indivvidual, this one far and away was the most compelling story of all. It gave me so much respect for Guerrerro not only as a worker and athlete, but more importantly as a person. It was well written and enthralling, plus had many elemnets I could relate to addiction, family, hard work, respect and faith in God.

Lastly have begun reading JM Dillars STar Trek Generations novelization, and William Shatners Star Trek Memories. I am enjoying both emensly, I am suprised about how much more detail and depth the novelization of Generations adds to this story it turns a 2 star film in the a 3 and hald popcorn read very well. Plus the addition of scences particularly in the STAR TREK TOS MOVIE ERA is not old welcome, but actually necessary in order to bring closure to that era's characters and thier dealing with the change they have all had to deal with in thier lives.

On deck is Book 2 of the Inerno Series from DeepSpace, Shatners CAPTIAINS BLOOD, or maybe even his other one Star Trek Acadamy. We will see what my little mind is in the mood for when time allows. Work and family are priority one. Taking care of myu body and music are priority 2. Friends and cleanig are 3, then its fun time where all this recreational stuff fits into. Plus my primary things of reading are nonfiction books, and the Bible, but for the sake of the pop culture/ entertainment direction of the British message board, we shant go into those! Im gonna now Enjoy this warm day in Baltimore, 2 days after snow, and proceed north 15 miles on I 95 to my place of work where I shall create dinner for the masses. Until next time computer posters in the pretned world of Star Trek, enjoy it, but dont loose yourself in it like some dorks, be aware of the real world (unless of course u are a writer and writing star trek is your job or something :), but dont become like the neighbor kid whose life is living in the basement obessed with Star Wars, and Magiacal Cards or somehting, and stupid midless video games hes got no social skills and fucking no concept of reality. He is not learning life lessons from ST star wars or anything, he is wasting his life, and that is of much concearn to me this day, and i hope he may heal soon! HEalthy amounts of anything is the key, moderation, and discipline in things that could become addictions.
    I should know ive wasted much of my life drinking and drugging, and and only now beginning in the last few years to recover. Anyway this rambling session ends now.....BYE!:)

15. Keturah

Keturah Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just finished Children of the Storm. It was good, but not my favorite. I'm not sure if it was the book, or if it's because so much time has elapsed since I read Full circle and Unworthy. I just couldn't get into it as much. It felt long.

Just started Blind Man's Bluff. Looking forward to this one. After that, a first pass at the No Limits anthology. :)

16. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished Krad's buffy novel about Spike and Nikki, one of the slayers he killed. Blackout was awesome, I didnt want it to end.

My wife begged me to read the first Stephanie Plum novel One for the Money, it reads quickly enough, I picked it up yesterday afternoon and in about an hour read 65 pages of it, she is dying to go see the movie this weekend.

Im also reading book one of the TNG ebook series a few years back, the first one is Sea of Troubles. So far Im enjoying it, Im about 20 or so pages into it. Kinda cool to step back to that time period, the Ent E's first year, the Dominion War still raging, and hey Lt. Hawk!

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That was a fun book. I liked that one, too.

18. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Almost finished with Vanguard: Open Secrets, then on to Precipice. :techman:

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have either of you guys read KRAD's other Buffy novel The Deathless? I thought it was pretty good. It's a second season story, so if nothing else I thought it was fun to go back and revisit that period in the show. (It also takes a special place for me since KRAD used my name for a character in a couple scenes.)

20. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I havent read that one yet, will have to add it to my list. I did recently read Carnival of Souls which is also set in season 2.

KRAD is really good at writing Spike so Im sure I will like the Deathless :)