La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good interview, and good cue selection. I'm stunned to learn that the Act-1 opening cue to "Catspaw," which I'd always assumed was a Fried arrangement of the Courage fanfare done for that episode and is one of my favorite versions of it, is actually a library cue by Courage himself. Some interesting bits of texture to discover in the other cues as well. "Aberrated Captain" was the cue I'm the least familiar with; I don't think it was ever reused outside of the "Enterprise Incident" teaser. It's got an unusual sound for TOS; it actually reminded me a bit of Lost in Space music at some points (not surprising, perhaps, since Courage did a few scores for LiS and other Irwin Allen shows).

My main question for Neil is: How do we know that the laserdiscs were accurate to the originals in their audio mix, pitch, etc.? Or are they just the closest approximation available?

And when are we going to see the next track list? There are still six discs remaining to cover, and there are only six days left until the release.

3. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

The LDs were spot on as reference tracks. I had ways of confirming that. "Beyond Antares" was one of those ways.

LLL releases the track lists, not me.

The opening of "Catspaw" is tracked with the library cue. We have Fried's unused opening and closing. I think one note of his closing is used in the episode!

Neil

4. Christopher

Sorry, I wasn't asking that last question of you specifically. I should've put them the other way around to make that clearer.

I'm really looking forward to finding out how many of the library-only cues are pieces I know. I know there's one cue, a somber one at the end of a third-season episode with no credited original music, that's never heard anywhere else, and I've always wondered what it was from. I figure it must be a library cue. (I can't remember what episode it was, though.)

5. Indysolo

SEASON 2, DISC 5

I, Mudd
    Music Composed and Conducted by Samuel Matlovsky
    Episode #41, Recorded 9/22/67
    Aired #37, 11/3/67

1. Main Title* (soprano version, second season mix; arr. Courage) 1:03
    2006 Recording Conducted and Produced by Gregory Smith

2. Please*/You Listen M21/M23 1:25
    3. Harry Mudd/Mudd’s Series M24/M25 1:00
    4. Stella M31 0:44
    5. Control Room M32 0:55
    6. Eternal Beauty/Crew Gone M33/M36 0:42
    7. We Are Real M40 1:12
    8. A Gilded Cage/Not Programmed M41/M42 1:09
    9. Mudd’s Farewell/Stella’s Reprise M43/M44 0:59
    10. Alice in Wonderland M55 2:08
    11. Love’s Hate M56 0:50
    12. Tired of Happiness M62 1:26
    13. The Last Straw M63 2:12
    14. Mudd’s Detention/Stella 500 M65/M66 1:38

Total Time: 17:50

*Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

The Trouble With Tribbles
    Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Fielding
    Episode #42, Recorded 10/5/67
    Aired #44, 12/29/67

15. The Muzak Maker M16 0:55
    16. They Quibble Over Tribble/Kirk Out M21+M21S/M31 0:58
    17. The Scherzo Maker M34 0:44
    18. Bartender Bit M35 0:28
    19. Big Fite M36/M36A/M36B 2:15
    20. A Matter of Pride/Barrel of Tribbles/Tribble Hooks Kirk/My Chicken Sandwich/Come on Spock!/Raining Tribbles M42/M43+M43S/M44/M44A+M44AS/M44B/M51/M51A+M51AS /M52/M54+M54S 4:03
    21. Dead Heap!/Close That Door/Hissing Tribbles/Poor Jonesy/No Tribble at All M55/M56/M57/M63+M63S/M65 2:30

Total Time: 12:05

Second Season Library Music
    Conducted by Alexander Courage
    Recorded 6/16/67
    Composed by Alexander Courage:

22. Ship in Orbit* (Big) LM6 0:39
    23. Sad and Thoughtful on Captain’s Theme LM8 2:29
    24. Captain Playoff No. 1 (Heavy) LM2 0:07
    25. Smooth Neutral Ship Theme* LM7 0:39
    26. Playoff on M.T. Theme LM1 0:21
    27. Fight on Captain’s Theme LM5/LM5A 1:44
    28. Captain Playoff No. 2 (Neutral—Slightly Ominous) LM3 0:07
    29. Stingers LM17A/LM17B/LM17C/LM17D 0:50
    30. New Sexy Exotic LM9 2:16
    31. Captain Playoff No. 3 (Sad and Alone) LM4 0:19
    32. Prime Specimen (“The Cage” M21–30) LM19 3:14
    33. Monster Illusion (“The Cage” M42) LM18 2:33
    34. Mr. Spock (“Captain’s Wig” From “The Naked Time” M54–61) LM16 3:26
    35. The Big Go (“The Naked Time” M62) LM15 2:29

Composed by Fred Steiner:

36. Mudd’s Perfidy (“Mudd’s Women” M43) LM10A/LM10 0:33
    37. Zap the Cap (“Charlie X” M53) LM11 1:33
    38. Zap the Cap (“Charlie X” M53) LM11A tk 1 0:08
    39. Zap the Cap (“Charlie X” M53) LM11A tk 2 0:05
    40. Zap the Spaceship (“Charlie X” M54) LM12 1:28
    41. Zap the Spaceship (“Charlie X” M54) LM12A 0:33
    42. Zap the Spaceship (“Charlie X” M54) LM12B 0:07
    43. Ruk Attacks (“What Are Little Girls Made Of?” M43A) LM13 1:40

Composed by Gerald Fried:

44. 2nd Ruth (“Shore Leave” M31A, orch. Gus Levene) LM14 2:35

Total Time (22–44): 30:43

Second Season Alternates and Outtakes

45. Neck Pinch Sweetener (“Catspaw” M61A) (Fried) 0:04
    46. More Soup* (“Amok Time” M26–30/M26–30A) (Fried) 1:52
    47. Resignation* (“Amok Time” M61A) (Fried) 0:08
    48. Approach of the Enterprise* (“The Doomsday Machine” M11A) (Kaplan) 0:23
    49. Approach of the Enterprise* (“The Doomsday Machine” M11A/M11S) (Kaplan, with Fred Steiner brass sweetener) 0:24
    50. One’s Enough* (“The Doomsday Machine” M63A/M63) (Kaplan) 0:24
    51. Shuttle Helpless (“Metamorphosis” M12A) (Duning) 0:38
    52. Starship* (“Metamorphosis” M41 tk 2) (Duning) 0:14
    53. Nancy Sobs* (“Metamorphosis” M51A) (Duning) 0:19
    54. Nancy Sobs* (“Metamorphosis” M51B) (Duning) 0:10
    55. You Loved Me (“Metamorphosis” M61A) (Duning) 0:20
    56. Cochrane’s Decision* (“Metamorphosis” M62B) (Duning) 0:13
    57. We Are Real (“I, Mudd” M40A) (Matlovsky) 1:11
    58. No Tribble at All (“The Trouble With Tribbles” M65A) (Fielding) 0:13
    59. Poor Jonesy (“The Trouble With Tribbles” M63, orchestra only) (Fielding) 0:29
    60. Poor Jonesy (“The Trouble With Tribbles” M63S, trombone sweetener at recorded speed) (Fielding) 0:53
    61. Tribbles FX (unused) (Matlovsky) 0:52

Total Time: 9:23

Amok Time
    Source Music and Outtake
    Composed and Conducted by Gerald Fried

62. Vulcan Lyre M25 0:06
    63. Gong FX 0:12
    64. Bells 0:22
    65. Wind Chimes 0:36
    66. Contrary Order (Gerald Fried rehearsal) M16–20 1:37

Total Time: 3:03

Total Disc Time: 73:26

6. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmmmmm. :)

I didn't think there was any way that this could be better than I imagined.

Actually, I was thinking "Yes, I love the movie scores. And I certainly listen to the TOS scores I have. But do I really want ALL of it? Sure I want all of Where No Man Has Gone Before. And Charlie X, yes. But seriously, 17 hours?"

Now I'm thinking "This isn't coming FAST enough!!" The library cues alone are killing me! And those samples on TrekCore sound better than they do in the episodes.

7. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Awesome. Thanks again for posting these.

That's interesting, that we get the 2006 re-recording of the main title in this set. You guys weren't kidding when you said it would be everything. :-)

What's a "sweetener"? as in "brass sweetener" & "trombone sweetener"

Very interested to hear the Fried rehearsal.

Now that the listings of Steiner's music for By Any Other name and Fielding's music for Tribbles have both been posted, what cue is in By Any Other Name during the scene when Scotty & the Kelvan are drunk together?

8. Indysolo

The 2006 re-recording is also on disc 5 of season 1. You can figure out where it will be on season 3. :)

An additional overlay, recorded separately and dubbed in later. In the case of the "trombone sweetener" from Tribbles, they were an effect recorded in real time with the intention of being sped up to get a unique sound. We had the original real time takes and presented one of them on here as a bonus. If you know the score, it's really wild hearing it at the recorded speed.

"A Matter of Pride".

Neil

9. Christopher

Both the scores on Disc 5 have had versions released before. A suite arrangement of cues from "I, Mudd" was on Label X's Star Trek Volume 2, arranged by Clyde Allen & Tony Bremner and conducted by Bremner. Cues that have not previously had a version released are:

Please*/You Listen
    Harry Mudd
    Control Room
    Eternal Beauty/Crew Gone
    We Are Real
    A Gilded Cage/Not Programmed
    Mudd’s Farewell/Stella’s Reprise
    Love’s Hate
    Mudd’s Detention

There have been two prior releases of music from "The Trouble With Tribbles." The second volume of Steiner-conducted re-recordings from Varese Sarabande included new performances of "A Matter of Pride," "No Tribble at All," and "Big Fite" (spelled "Big Fight"), and GNP's Best of Star Trek Vol. 1 featured 11-odd minutes from the original score. The only previously unreleased tracks from "Tribbles" are:

My Chicken Sandwich
    Raining Tribbles
    Close That Door

The GNP album did contain "The Muzak Maker" and "The Scherzo Maker" even though those were not included in the episode.

Typos on the GNP track list: "They Quibble Over Quibble" for "...Over Tribble"; "Barrel of Trouble" for "Barrel of Tribbles"; no exclamation point on "Come On Spock" or "Dead Heap."

These should be interesting. Let's see, we know from the sample released today that "Ship in Orbit" is the Act 1 opening for "Catspaw." "Sad and Thoughtful on Captain's Theme" is probably the music that plays under Kirk's climactic speech in "Mirror, Mirror." "Fight on Captain's Theme" is a cue that I believe is also in MM (and maybe "Journey to Babel" when Thelev attacks Kirk?). I look forward to discovering what the others are.

Great Bird of the Galaxy, you guys are thorough! It never even occurred to me to think of those as source music. And rehearsal audio? Interesting. Might we hear the composer's voice?

On to season 3! Given that there was less new music in that season, it should be interesting to see what fills out the set.

10. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

It was definitely reused in "The Way To Eden" (right between the "jam session" and the Enterprise veering off course to Eden. It may have been reused another time; I thought maybe "Plato's Stepchildren" but that was a scored episode so I'm not sure...

11. Christopher

^Hmm, okay, but that would've just been a small part of the whole cue. Those cues that were only used once are harder to get to know well than the oft-repeated ones. Luckily now we'll be able to repeat them as much as we want!

12. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Oh! Were those trombones sped up to make the, uh, "mewling kittens" sound that we hear in the score when there are a ton of tribbles in the scene? Not sure how to describe that sound any better.

13. Christopher

Exactly. A technical way to describe the sound might be a downward glissando, or more accurately portamento -- one note sliding down to another, as a trombone can do.

14. Indysolo

That's the sound!

Neil

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, those sound terrific. Thank you!

Does this mean we get another, um, 27 tracks? (Yes, yes, in another week or so I'll have HUNDREDS of more tracks.)

16. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the new sample tracks with that interview.

It's amazing how every cue brings back memories. Probably some of the most evocative score in TV history.

17. Christopher

True, but I wonder how much of that is really due to the music and how much is due to us growing up hearing it a million times in endless reruns. Not that the music isn't great, but there was other great music being done in TV then too, often by the same composers. But it's these episodes that we got to know so intimately in syndication.

18. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You have a point, good sir. :)

I'll be listening quite intently when I pick it up Monday night.

19. Indysolo

20. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

That is awesome, sorry to hear about the damage to the paper. I remember those images fondly, and have the regular Spock holding the Enterprise model poster still, but this ASCII work is just brilliant!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012