The next Discworld TV mocie is: Going Postal...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rincewiend, May 30, 2010.

1. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Trailer...
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VlX9cMEbw[/yt]

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

First part is tonight on Sky One.

3. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

This looks great! I'm surprised there's been absolutely no buzz about these productions. I greatly enjoyed Hogfather, but even with that one I heard about it when I found the DVD! Both it and, it seems, Going Postal look like they could have easily been theatrical releases. I'm surprised they're "slumming it" on SkyHD.

Alex

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^If I recall Going Postal had a budget of £6m.

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read a few of the books, but not this one.

Overall I enjoyed the first part:)

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

who was playing Horsefry? cuz they bloody squished the credits and i couldn't read it....

and Angua was HOT!

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Madhav Sharma I believe.

And yes, I liked Angua too. I was wondering if it was her when she first appeared. Less than a moment later, that question was answered in her own fashion:D

8. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I think this was the best yet with Colour slumming it at the bottom under Hogfather. I can't wait to see the enxt part. Didn't forsee any of the casting with no one looking wuite how I thought they would be I'd say them all playing them perfectly so that when I re-read I'll defiantly be seeing them in future.

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the first part, so far this is better than Hogfather or TCOM. Then again, I prefer the novel of Going Postal to the other two (three) novels, so it's not hard for the film adaptation to interest me more. Richard Coyle makes a good Moist von Lipwig, which is good because David Jason being horribly miscast as Rincewind really hurt TCOM for me. In fact, all the main characters were casted well, my only problem is that they didn't bring back the guy who played Ridcully in Hogfather because he fit that role quite well, the new guy acts too wise to be Ridcully. But that's only a minor part in this story, so it's okay.

I've heard that they've already begun work on the next adaptation which is to be Sourcery. That sounds good to me (so long as David Jason doesn't return), Sourcery is one of my favourite novels from the early part of the series along with Mort and Guards! Guards!.

I'm going to state the bleedin' obvious here, but the novel is better. ;) You should read it if only to read the sequel, Making Money, which was my favourite Discworld novel since Night Watch. Pratchett also has plans for one more Moist novel called Raising Taxes.

10. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you for that snippet of information TheGodBen, i've been wondering if Sir Pratchett was going to revisit Moist and co. in the near future.

11. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I also really enjoyed it and am looking forward to part 2 later. Going Postal is my favourite Discworld book so I'm glad they've done it justice. That cast was never going to hurt of course, and 4 hours of this plus another hour of Pulse is a very suitable amount of Claire Foy to have in my week!

And yeah, Angua was hot. Turning into a werewolf in public isn't something she'd do though, surely? Unless it's hyperbole, the account of the arrest coming as it does in Moist's letter to Adora Belle? I know he finds out she's a werewolf in Making Money though so it's not too big a deal.

Is Sourcery really next? I haven't even read that!

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Defiantly better than 'Colour of Magic', but that's not saying a whole lot. I like the little cameos of Angua and Otto. The watch books are my favourites so I got a real kick out of the former...still I can't help but feel her characterisation is a little too "sexy". I've always pictured Angua as being...well not tomboyish exactly but certainly not quite so feminine. Still for such a brief appearance it's understandable, if it was 'Men at Arms' or one of the others then she'd get a more faithful portrayal.

I'm surprised to hear that 'Sourcery' is next, I'd have thought they'd be doing one of the witches books, but Sourcery is still a good choice.

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Angua is definitely gorgeous in the books. Dangerous but gorgeous.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Oh sure, but I didn't mean physically. I was talking more about personality and demeanour.

15. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I've read, I think they revealed it at the press screening, just like they revealed that they were working on TCOM at the press screening of Hogfather. They certainly are choosing the adaptations in an odd order.

Sourcery is my favourite Rincewind novel, it did the best job of making him into a relatable character rather than a cowardly caricature, and he comes away from that novel as a sort of heroic figure that was willing to stand up and fight for the things that matter to him. He even cried at one point. Without spoiling it for you, it doesn't have a traditional happy ending, but it's very touching. It will be interesting to see how the TV adaptation will handle that without Eric following it up.

I would have thought Mort would be next, but I've been thinking that since Hogfather was announced. For years before Hogfaher, Mort had always seemed like the obvious choice: it was the first Death-centric novel, it was early enough in the series that it didn't have a complicated back-story, and it's a good story in its own right. Pratchett was even in talks with a Hollywood studio many years ago about doing a film adaptation of it, talks that fell apart when they insisted on getting rid of the Death angle from the story. I still don't know what drugs those guys were taking, but they must have been good.

16. HappyDayRiot

^ That's good. I'm not much of a fan of Rincewind, other than his appearances in Last Continent and Unseen Academicals.

I've only got about 6 left to read... but I've been saying that since last summer now. Best get to it.

I just hope Sourcery has a different Rincewind. As for future adaptations, I wouldn't mind seeing them going for something different entirely and do the wonderful Monstrous Regiment. Stand-alone, no backstory, no recurring characters, hilarious...

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Sourcery is indeed next, although Lord Terry's not happy, because he's not overly fond of it, saying he wrote it as fans demanded Rincewind's return.

Angua wouldn't change publically like that. no way. it'd ruin her 'cover'.

18. HappyDayRiot

It would, but as this scene was being recalled by Moist in his letter, I wouldn't put it past him to exaggerate what actually happened or what his surroundings really were. In the books, it's only the Watch, Moist and Vetinari who know she's a werewolf IIRC, so it's not really that much of a problem.

19. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Otto might know...
    Vampires and werewolves and all...
    I do like Marnix Van Den Broeke has another part in this one...
    First he was the person behind Death's mask, now he is a Golem...
    A little Dutch touch...

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't think they'd worry too much about inter-continuity between the minis, even assuming they ever do a subsequent Rincewind story. Still, if they do do one and wanted to make the connection it shouldn't be too hard to get him back in less than 30 seconds.

I'd certainly like to see another Death/Susan adaptation but I don't see Mort being at the top of the list now that they've jumped in the middle and done Hogfather. 'Thief of Time' is a more likely candidate IMO.