Atlantis: Complete Series on sale

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Brikar99, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey everyone,

I just saw that the Complete Series box for Atlantis is on sale at Best Buy. I already own the individual seasons, but for anyone who was looking to take the plunge, this is a pretty great price for 5 seasons of TV:

Stargate Atlantis - Complete Series, $49.99

Just thought I'd throw out that heads up, because apparently this sale is only for this weekend.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The individual season sets appear to be on sale on Blu-Ray as well, at $19.99 each.

I already have the series on DVD, so I'll be passing on this. I might pick up the complete series on Blu-Ray for $50, but at $100 I'm quite happy with the DVDs. I really only loved the series for one season, anyways.

3. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. It's already up to $89.99.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If I keep enjoying SG-1 as much as I have up through 2.4 then I may look into this.

How drastic a shift is this series in tone from SG-1, without being too spoilery?
    Is it like going from ship based with TNG to starbase based with DS9 or another explanation works better? Thanks.

That price($50) would be enticing but once I finish SG-1 I have Babylon 5, Sliders and Fringe up next. I need to try and avoid stockpiling too much. That was what I did 2yrs ago and why I'm just now getting to SG-1!!

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I know about stockpiling, I bought Babylon 5 on sale and it took me about 2 years to get around to watching it! If I were you I would take a Stargate break with another series and then do Atlantis which is only 5 seasons.

6. gturner

gturner Admiral

It's prety close to the tone of SG-1, perhaps taking itself a bit more seriously most of the time, but with the same basic format. A staff of Stargate personnel and SG teams operating out of a base, but the base is in an advanced, abandoned civilization's city, far far away.

Stargate Universe went for the Battlestar Galactica format, gritty, real, and dark, on ship with characters you're not sure you can trust. It lasted two seasons.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

And only 2.5 of them are watchable! :lol:

Stargate after season 6 lost focus and got worse every season. Atlantis becomes very much like seasons 9 and 10 of SG1. In other words cheesy and over the top, but at the same time they try to be serious, so its really just ridiculous.

Season 1 is really good, and half of season 4 (the one after SG-1 ended) is fun. It's decent, i miss cheesy sci-fi on TV, but it's not the same tone as Stargate season 2.

8. teacake

I think it's less complex than Stargate. I say that as a huge Atlantis fan. There's some fabulous characters and since it has my all time ever favorite man on it it will always be dear to me. But Stargate the original has more going on.

9. teacake

Whut? :wtf:

Oh well to each his own. As I've said elsewhere if Bab5 had a fandom on par with Trek I wouldn't even be here. That show is really a peak for me.

10. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Season two and three of Atlantis are mostly dreck, but the others are worth watching. Season four the high point for me.

11. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I just wish that they'd be back on Netflix.