In praise of Vaughn Armstrong

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Melakon, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I love the guy's work with Star Trek, and didn't become aware of him until TNG: Heart of Glory, where he just put everything he had into it. I rarely spotted him in anything else, because I'd never seen his real face.

It must have been nice to do Enterprise without heavy makeup all the time.

I've only read/seen a few interviews with him, but he sounds like he'd be great to see in person. Something about a Trek alumni band or something.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's awesome from all accounts. His appearances on Enterprise as Admiral Forrest were great alone, (sorry they killed him off really - twice!), but considering the few Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and even a Borg he played... I don't attend the convention circuit much, but there should be no shortage of questions to ask while asking for an autograph. He must hold some kind of record for playing the most number of characters in Star Trek.

Enterprise Blues Band is their name with Casey Biggs (Damar) , Richard Herd and Nathan Philips joining them on occasion.

3. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a very robust quality that I find he's quite expert in embodying over a wide variety of characters. At the same time, he's also able to convey a very personal quotidian tone that is very appealing in its lowkeyness. I think that his skills are enhanced by the interesting timbre of his voice as well.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vaughn Armstrong is my favorite actor of all time. Bar none.

5. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was a great addtion to the Enterprise to the series.:)

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Pity that in my other favorite TV franchise (L&O), he only appeared once, and was killed off (the East Pasadena episode of Law & Order: LA). :(

7. Melakon

I think another reason I like him is we're near the same age, and there are so few outstanding examples of actors of that generation. So often it seemed like everyone on tv was under 30.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

I hope he gets a role in an Abramsverse film. TOS is the only Trek he's never done.

9. Melakon

^ He was probably in high school, like I was. He's about six months ahead of me, and his birthday is coming up on July 7.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yay! I finally get to mention it in casual conversation! :D

I got to meet Vaughn Armstrong at the Trek convention in Chicago back in 2010, and he was a gem of a human being. Funny, articulate, entertained a whole bunch of us for hours while we sat in the hotel bar. Just a genuinely warm, and funny man.

Here we are after several rounds of drinks:

[​IMG]

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Vaughn Armstrong on Enterprise I liked his Admiral Forrest character and I imagine he was glad to play a human after playing aliens on the different Star trek series. I just saw him in a Season 1 Ds9 show Past Prologue he plays a Cardassian in it.

12. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought the guy was one of the best guest star actors in the franchise. It takes a certain amount of skill to play multiple characters in multiple shows from different species in each of them.

He ranks high in my favorite guest stars.

13. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

He played a Klingon and Kreetassan captain as well on Enterprise, not just Admiral Forest He is a great actor. He and Suzie Plans on are my two favorite. The work they have done on Trek is memorable and outstanding.