Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He says that was part of his inspiration in an interview.

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=15IRXKn9LSU[/yt]

Another trailer for A Touch of Cloth.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I like the look of this a lot. One week to go!

4. Bob The Skutter

Black Mirror series 2 starts on the 11th of February. The trailer is very creepy.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5AKVtvkdc[/yt]

5. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting! -it reminded me that I still hadn't seen the first series :rommie:

6. Bob The Skutter

The first series is on 4oD still if you haven't seen it yet.

Here's a trailer for the first episode

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ld9m8Xrpko0[/yt]

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I definitely like the look of the first one...

8. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I LIKED IT BETTER WHEN IT WAS CALLED CAPRICA.

(I'm sure it'll be good.)

9. Bob The Skutter

So anyone watch? I thought it was a good episode but what was that ending? Weird is what it was.

Oh and in some other weird news, Robert Downey Jr. has bought the rights to make a film of "The Entire History Of You" from the first series.

10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the episode was okay, but it kinda went a bit too far when not-Ash became "real". For the first half-hour it seemed like the story was taking place 10-20 years in the future, then there were suddenly replicants. I'd say it was actually my least favourite episode so far, although it was still enjoyable enough.

As for The Entire History of You, it was my favourite episode of the previous series, so a feature version of it should be cause for celebration. But it's Hollywood, so my initial reaction was that they'll probably butcher it and change it from being a story of mundane horror into some sort of cop story. Then I read this:

Wunderbar. :sigh:

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I quite liked it, in particular the first half, thought it was a great performance by Atwell, but when it went from plausible near future to Blade Runner I felt it lost its way somewhat, which is a shame. That said the ending redeemed it somewhat for me, the notion of things being put in the attic nicely foreshadowed it, and I thought it was an interesting allegory for the life of a lot of modern fathers who are no longer with their wives; the kid only getting to see them at weekends and special occasions.

In a way I wish Brooker had cut out some of the sex scenes (not that I'm prudish I just didn't see much point apart from fake Ash being great in the sack when real Ash was a bit rubbish) and spent more time with the family unit. I mean, whilst the mother knows this person isn't Ash, from the daughter's perspective he's her dad, and is a fake representation of him better than just a few old photos? Like I say it would have been interesting to take that a little further.

I'm afraid The Entire history of You was my least favourite of the three, nice idea but done with such a lack of empathetic characters that frankly I didn't give a shit about any of them. The one with the PM and the pig was the worst idea of the three, but it was better, in my eyes, because I could at least feel some connection to the characters. So for me Downey's version sounds like it might be more fun to watch :)

12. Bob The Skutter

I don't know about it being the worst idea per se. The idea was about how much of life is focus group and opinion poll driven, and how they can get away with some awful things if they can sell it right to the public. The actual shagging a pig distracted from the point of the episode.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I agree, though I still found it a stretch that everyone watched it. Perhaps I'm naive but I don't think they would, I mean there are all sorts of horrible things out there you can find if you go looking for it, but on the whole people don't, or at least I don't.

Heck I never even looked up the Harry/Kate pics last year :lol:

14. Bob The Skutter

No, but it was broadcast on every TV network. Much harder to ignore than the stuff you'd have to actively look for. Also there was a huge public interest in the safety of the Princess.

15. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

She put 'Ash' up in the attic, the same place his mother had put all the photos of his father and brother up in the attic when they died.

I did really like this one though I'd agree that it maybe went a bit too far with the concept in bringing a robot doll avatar to life. The rest doesn't seem like something that's quite so far away or impossible.

16. Bob The Skutter

Oh, I got that, I meant the whole "Be more like him, jump, plead, fight, etc." the screams when he does only to cut to 6 years later with him there. Guess it makes sense in the light that it resolves the story quickly but it felt a little weird.

17. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

The robot section may have dragged on a tad too long, but apart from that I really liked it. I was expecting a twist, so in a way I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't one. Ash being put away in the attic was a nice callback to the conversations earlier on, as well as showing that whatsherface (?) was still messed up about the whole thing.

18. Belbo

Belbo Ensign Newbie

Black Mirror 2x02 - White Bear

Whoah! After the slow but sensitive (and beautifully acted) start last week Charlie really went for the throat this time - I thought that was even better than 15 Million Merits.

Not so much Passing Through Gethsemane as Endlessly Climbing Golgotha ...... that was one hell of a convincing Jeremy Kyle impersonation from the Irish guy too.

Hopefully someone will send Karla Homolka a copy, just in case she thinks we've forgotten her. ;)

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking... Joss Whedon is going to sue.

Joss was still complaining about Dollhouse on Robot Chicken LAST NIGHT.

Although?

Was she the only attraction?

And it would have been nice to know how much a ticket on this ride cost?

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You do have to wonder at the logic of building a theme park around one individual. I wondered whether she had a life sentence or not? I imagined he was counting the days off her sentence which suggests it is finite. You do have to wonder at the logic of punishing someone who can't remember who they are, although its obviously about mob rule by this point.

I dunno, maybe I just wasn't in the mood because I didn't overly enjoy it. Frankly by the end I felt like Charlie Brooker had walked up behind me and hit me over the head with a sledgehammer. I think there was the kernel of a decent idea here, but I thought the direction lacked something, I’m sure it was supposed to feel creepy and threatening but I just never felt it, but then maybe that was the point and we were supposed to realise it was all being staged. Certainly when the reveal happened I wasn’t the least bit surprised, and actually at this point the show got somewhat more interesting, although then it got silly again.

And let's be honest, given that people have candlelight vigils outside of US prisons for murderers being executed, you'd have thought there would have been protests of some kind in this situation, irrespective of what she's done the entire population aren't going to go along with that.

Last week's wasn't perfect but it was more subtle, and actually creepier. Next week’s looks like it should be awful, which probably means it’ll be the best of the three…