Who Could Carry Their Own Series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jetfire, Jan 17, 2010.

1. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dixon Hill?

2. Degobunny

Degobunny Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

:lol: heck yes the should just redue to all the TNG episodes but from Spot's prespective. Of coarse it would start when Data got him. I can imagine it now, Spot running around the ship during 'Genesis' and we slowly watch as he morphs into an iguana.

I wouldn't mind a Guinan series TBH. After all, she was not always a barkeep.

3. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Riker on the Titan would be the most likely bet. The lead on Trek series in usually the captain or the one in charge and he fits that role.

A Data series would get old in a hurry, given the way they used him in the movies with cheesy catch phrases and gimmicks.

Maybe Worf, he got a lot of development and backstory. But he's too grumpy to carry a show. Star Trek: Tales from the Security Office.

Maybe Geordi, we never knew that much about him. Give him his eye surgery in the pilot to get rid of the VISOR.

Beverly would be ER in Space. And no way for Troi.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we except Stewart/Picard - any other series starring him is essentially a continuation of TNG - then the answer is "no one."

5. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Most of the cast are in their 50's, 60's or 70's (well Stewart is almost seventy).

Whether any of them, at this stage in their lives, would want another 7-season show seems unlikely IMO, money aside (I doubt Stewart really needs the money anyhow, as out of all the cast he has by far the biggest international name, and the only one with a knighthood lol).

I think a better bet would be mini-series, or one off TV movies. Frakes may be more up for a USS Titan mini-series, which could feature in some fashion all of the cast.

6. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I disagree with the idea that "no one" could carry another series, but I also disagree somewhat with the premise of the question.

Could even Patrick Stewart "carry" a ST series? Did he carry TNG?
    It's fairly well known that he led the cast in terms of acting, and that his range and intensity - basically his chops - were beyond the rest.

But could he carry a ST show? My point is that although Stewart is great, and Picard episodes were great, ST worked as an ensemble - thus the warming from S1-S3, and so I think the whole question is off base.

I feel the answer is more one of having critical mass, between TNG/DS9/VOY characters. Having one stick out as a star or leader can be good, as in Stewart's case, or it could be bad. Thinking of TOS, by contrast - the Triad were fairly well matched (I think Kelley was the best actor, then Nimoy, then Shat, YMMV), but it was the interplay of those characters that made it work.

As for me, I like the mini-series idea of Riker and the Titan, checking in with as many TNG/DS9/VOY characters as makes sense and fits the story.

7. Maxillius

Maxillius Commander Red Shirt

The only thing keeping me from mentioning a Captain Riker of the Titan story is Troi. Remember, they're married at that point in the timeline and Troi is the most irritating drag on every story line she's ever been in.

8. ndcarlin

ndcarlin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you think he'd fit in a Captain's chair now? Not good to have the Captain cruising the corridors in his scooter.

9. Withers

Withers Captain

I honestly don't think any of them could seriously do it to much acclaim. Riker and Troi aboard the Titan would be the most likely candidate (as has been said) but... I'm not sure that's a show I'd want to watch given the fact that it would seemingly be easier to just put a brand new cast together and start from scratch.

I wouldn't mind an amalgamated cast of some sort- like they take a person or two from the three series (obviously Enterprise is excluded) and have them do a show together. I don't know what the premise of such a show might be but depending on it there are characters from TNG who would be nice additions. I always thought Beverly and Troi kind of sucked because they were never really fleshed out (I mean they were barely used in the movies at all). That might be a chance for one of them.

-Withers-​

10. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

a series about Riker and the Titan in a post-Nemesis setting could be a winner, IMO.

I haven't read the novels but a new series would obviously be able to go any direction it wanted.

Include (without going overboard) a core of familiar characters around Riker and Troi --Worf?, Tuvok?, Ezri? --with a crew of new faces, stories, and plots....it could be successful, both financially and critically.

Going that route would also be an easier sales pitch to the powers-that-be because it would offer a reliable core of cast members that audiences are already familiar with...just a safer bet to take a chance on. Whether or not the actors would be interested or not I have no idea.

But the writing and production would need to be good right out of the gate. People would love to see a good crew on a cool new ship exploring new places and going on new adventures.

I still think there would be a nice TV market for good Trek. The Riker/Titan angle could be good Trek if they did it intelligently.

my .02 fwiw.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

For several years, yeah he did. Maybe more than that...

12. Withers

Withers Captain

I think that is a really important point- regardless of what they make the show about, if Trek ever gets another shot at a series, the first few seasons cannot be shaky or it simply won't last. Television series don't get that "trial period" of a few seasons anymore. It has to be good out of the gate or they just yank it (the list of examples is longer than my arm.) In thinking about that I wonder if some of the series would've made it if the exact same shows were made today.

-Withers-​

13. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

That's primarily why I'd favor the Riker/Titan angle.

The writers could build on proven characters that are already familiar to the audience. Now, there would be no way to group together everyone's most favorite 3-5 characters but the chances of having several dud characters (no need to get ugly -- you know who they are ;) ) really plummet.

Throw in a cool new ship and a handful of diverse new characters and it could sustain a large audience.

That would also leave the writing team more time and energy to focus on hammering out a good setting and direction for the show. You're right...there just couldn't be two or three seasons for the show to "find itself." It would need to hit the ground running, and that would be easier to do with a few familiar faces.

obviously its all hypothetical, but the ingredients would be right for a dedicated audience if they made it immediately comfortable and interesting imo

14. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Geordi, and he already did. It was called Reading Rainbow, and there was no difference between the character he played there and Geordi. Including the amount of action he was getting.

Barclay, and he already did, during the last few seasons of Voyager. Cause that show was freakin' USELESS without the Barclay episodes.

Wesley, going from place to place solving problems in the shirt he wore during Season One, with The Traveller, and a chimp. Now there's a concept we can't get enough of - a man-child, his alien pedophile, and his monkey.

:devil:

15. Mirror_Barclay

Mirror_Barclay Commander Red Shirt

I'm not too big a fan of Riker or Troi, so I'm not sold on the Titan plan.

Certainly, using characters from the previous shows might be cool. We'd see new sides of some familiar characters (ten or so years older, more experienced and senior) and how they relate with people new to them, and probably about half the cast new to us.

I'd definitely want Ezri included in that. The EMH from Voyager (possibly a different EMH).

16. John200

John200 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Worf ,in a series set strictly in the Klingon Empire.

Enough with the human perspective. :klingon:

17. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

it would be real cool if they did yearly mini-series, featuring the TNG cast, as well as the recurring characters like Q, Guinan, Alexander, Barclay, Martok (well we had Gowron in the show, and obviously now Martok is Chancellor), etc. I'm sure John de Lancie, Whoopi Goldberg, Dwight Schulz, J.G. Hertzler et al would be up for it. Even bring back Brian Bonsall as Alexander, since both the actor and the character would be men now.

They could even bring in characters from other series. Sisko coming to terms with Wolf 359 with Picard would be good (if he still had resentment after all those years). We could have Admiral Janeway, Tuvok, 7 of 9, Bashir, Dax (to see how she and Worf interact), etc.

18. Withers

Withers Captain

We are familiar with Riker and Troi because we're Trekkies. That show has been off the air for almost two decades now and there hasn't been a blockbuster movie featuring Riker since First Contact. I think it would be in dispute just how well the "recognizably" card would play. If they wrote him as though everyone knew exactly who he was the show would probably only appeal to Trekkies. If they wrote him as though it needed to be explained who he was it would seemingly defeat the purpose of having a show featuring that character as a Captain in the first place.

Haven't laughed so hard in a while.

-Withers-​

19. Diddle

Diddle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

None of them. Well, maybe, maybe Worf, but if he were more like what he was in DS9.

20. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

None of them. A new series set at least 20 years post-Nemesis, with perhaps an appearance by Admiral Riker and Admiral Janeway every now and again, as a reward for faithful watchers of other Trek shows.

The Federation should have access to transwarp technology, with the ability to visit the delta and gamma quadrants easily, without resorting to wormholes. A new ship, a new crew, new adventures in the post-Borg delta quadrant and the post-Dominion gamma quadrant.