Flash ads suck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Nerdius Maximus, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's the deal? Are they counting on people clicking on them by accident? I hate that shit. What's wrong with good old fashioned banners? Nothing's more annoying than being in the middle of typing something and having some football player run across the screen, parking himself right in front of what you're doing. I've never understood why advertisers think the best way to sell their products is to piss people off.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've never understood it either. I think it actually accomplishes the opposite of what they're going for. When I see ads that do that to me, it makes me never want to buy anything from them again.

3. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

I agree Nerdius. Such advertisements only ensure that I avoid their product they are hawking. And having to click the close box every time I go to a different page is tedious, and only flames my hatred of their product. Not to mention lessening my enjoyment of the site, prompting me to spend my time elsewhere.

Good thing we don't have that here, eh? :shifty:

4. Nerdius Maximus

Er, yeah, that would suck. :shifty:

5. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like this XBox Live one that keeps popping up?!!
    I Fucking hate that thing.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was on a site a while back and flash-ad the occupied the text portion of the screen popped up. So I clicked the "close X" on it. It came right back. Kept doing that over and over, no matter what I did I could not get it to go away it kept coming back and occupying the space over the portion I was reading! :mad:

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

WTF are advertisers thinking? there was this one Incredible hulk movie ad (the Ang Lee Hulk, not the good one) that was 1 minute, 30 seconcs of your screen vibrating and cracking with loud booms going off then the hulk "smashing through your screen" and only THEN did you get a click to close, which promptly turned your browser to the official hulk movie site

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Lemme tell ya, this Boondock Saints ad is awesome. :klingon:

9. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These days you'd be crazy to have flash turned on by default, it's a gaping security hole. I have it enabled for YouTube and BBC, and nothing else.

10. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

Flash and javascript are the worst things to happen to the internet. My advice is to avoid them as much as practically possible. They're both hundreds of times slower to execute compared to equivalent interactive components and logic of standalone software. They're buggy and unstable. They consume too many resources. Also they're likely to be the reason your browser crashes when it crashes. But then, I don't much like the web in general. :(

Web browsing: Taking a decent PC and giving it 486 performance.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  11. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Internet ads in general suck. I'm not a fan of advertisements, but the Internet seems to attract the worst of the worst, especially on sites that play those nonskippable ads before videos. They not only play the same ads before each and every video, the ads are the most annoying ones you can find.

If I ever see or hear "who broke the copier copier copier" again I'm gonna puke!

12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here.

Firefox and a few choice addons make life so much easier. And quicker, too.

:D

13. Geckothan

Flash is the ONLY reason my browser ever crashes. Once in every 20 YouTube videos, operapluginwrapper throws up a general protection fault because of libflashplayer.so and I have to restart Opera (with Opera 9 it would freeze up and I'd have to kill -9 it, but with Opera 10 it pops up a handy "would you like to restart Opera?" window). In Firefox, the Flash objects just turn grey, or the browser freezes up completely. Maybe Adobe just don't care about Linux and do a half-assed job when it comes to porting stuff to it :(

14. Nerdius Maximus

I hate the ads for those smileys that go "Helloooooooo," or "HEY!" over and over. Who pays for smileys? Is somebody clicking on those ads?

15. Nerdius Maximus

I keep getting one on here for this "Armored" movie. It pops up every time I navigate to another page, which is stupid, because most sites recognize that you've already seen the ad. At least you can turn it off without going to the site. But yeah, that REALLY makes me want to go see that movie.:rolleyes:

16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Congratulations! You've won an iPod! ;)

And yes - I will never, ever ever see "Armored" after having to turn off the ad every other time I move from one page to another. I'm disinclined to use Gillette because of the football ad, but at least that one only popped up every once in a while.

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

They've gotten worse on this site as well. They seem to always pop up now, every single new page. Also, some are running a script that Explorer says is slowing it down. There's a long delay before I can do anything in Explorere, until I can abort that flash script. Irritating the users isn't a good way to get sales.

Mr Awe

18. Geckothan

19. Nerdius Maximus

Yeah, but what about all the sites that use flash as part of their content? Which is to say, about 99% of them. I like flash for the most part. It never causes me any problems, besides with the ads.

20. Geckothan

Use this or switch to Opera which is a million times better than Firefox and does most of the things people use Firefox add-ons for by default.