The Agnostic Prayer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: The Agonstic Prayer

I see what you're saying, and I do agree. I guess it was a bit for me to wrap around the idea that "God probably doesn't exist, and though we don't really know, I'm praying just to be sure." Your point makes it clearer.

Thank you, tsq! :D
    (Also, yes, I'm an agnostic atheist).

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I consider myself to be agnostic but don’t feel that it matches with your description here. As an agnostic, I feel that we as humans have no way of knowing whether a “higher force” exists or not. There may be a supernatural power, it may be God, or it may be something else, or it may not exist at all and life is only a result of our physical world. Unless substantial evidence is provided within my lifetime, I will have to wait until I die to find out the truth. If life simply ends and there is no afterlife, then I won’t give a damn anymore anyway.

So, I don’t feel that there can necessarily be a common prayer among agnostics, to express our common morality. We don’t have a common morality; everyone follows their own intuition of what is right and wrong. I express my morality in the choices I make and the way I treat others on a daily basis.

I can think of a basic mantra for agnostics though: “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Yes, agnosticism and gnosticism are about knowledge, while atheism and theism are about belief.

When it comes to the god of the Bible I would say say that I do not believe in him, and I know he isn't real. When it comes to some other forms of god I would have to say I have no knowledge concerning that god, an in lieu of any evidence of that god I see no reason to start believing in him.

However I am of the opinion that anything that can exist in or react with this Universe is natural (but possibly unexplained). Because everything that exists is natural than nothing is supernatural. Not sure where this leaves some of the gods.

Added to this is the fact that someone needs to define 'god' before I can even start to say if I believe or have knowledge of that god at all.

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I am not a religious agnostic. Agnostics reject religion but not a higher power. Atheist are those who don't believe in a higher power. To call me a religious agnostic sounds ridiculous to me. I consider all religion to be man made, an attempt to understand and explain the universal force.

I don't have a materialist view of the universe like Atheists. I do believe in Spirituality. Calling me a spiritual agnostic is more suitable.
    You can be Spiritual and still pray without invoking a religious based deity.

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I don't think that I believe in a "higher power" though I don't really know what a higher power might or might not mean. Like 'God' it is such a broad and ill-define term that it is next to useless.

I consider myself to be an agnostic atheist to the general term of God (or Higher Power), I have seen no proof of it, have therefore no reason to believe in it but I am open to fact that. someday, someone might provide some evidence to prove that their God (or Higher Power) is real.

However I have dismissed totally all the Gods and 'Higher Powers" that have so far been put in front of me. The evidence put before me has not been convincing in the slightest.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Exactly. Or Non-Vision Statement.

7. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Prayer and ritual are ways of focusing thoughts and desires and as such can be amazingly powerful. I have no problem using a tool that works and have simply replaced any deity with 'spirit' or 'universe' when I do what's commonly known as praying.

Jan

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Some agnostics reject religion but not a higher power. Most agnostics I know are actually pretty apathetic towards spirituality.
    However you want to label yourself is cool, but remember, not all agnostics share your views. Be wary of labeling other people.
    That's how the friend I mentioned sees it. She 'meditates' (prays) to the 'Universe.'

9. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

I don't find myself reciting it on a regular basis or anything, but I actually have it written on a little piece of paper in my wallet.

10. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe you labeled him first. He's just correcting the label you gave him, not labeling others.

As for myself, I'm a Witch who believes that all gods are simply metaphors for something that will eventually be explained by science.

This will not stop me from prayer, ritual & magic however. I sincerely believe that some folks can be satisfied with perfectly logical explanations. Others of us *need* metaphor & creativity. It's simply the way we're built.

11. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

By giving that definition of agnostics, he is labeling others (he gave that definition in the OP as well). As for labeling him, I did ask to be corrected if I was wrong, though upon rereading my post I see that I could have been clearer; as it's written it looks like I was only asking J, when I meant that to mean both of them.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  12. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Also, as others have mentioned, his definition of "We agnostic still believe in a higher force but reject organized religion" and that "agnostics reject religion but not a higher power" are simply wrong.

All definitions of agnosticism I've ever seen have dealt with lack of knowledge about god/gods: they had nothing to do with believing in "higher power" but "rejecting organized religions" (a definition of "general-purpose spirituality", which is a completely different position from agnosticism).