Comic-con news

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Just starting up a thread for the Comic-con announcements.

The first of which, as announced on KRAD's blog, is A Singular Destiny by the aforementioned KRAD, which deals with the aftermath of the Destiny trilogy, due in Feb '09. Cool!:techman:

http://kradical.livejournal.com/1244158.html

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great idea for a thread.

To quote from KRAD's announcement:

"More details when I can post from a computer instead of my Treo, but Voyager fans will be very happy next April. *grin*"

Very interesting... Could it be that the Voyager Relaunch will, eh, relaunch after 4 1/2 years? I'll be buying this!

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yes, yes...but what about New Frontier?! :p

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Of course, KRAD will be providing more details later, but I'm wondering if this book will retain the crossover element?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless he got a little jumbled I think KRAD must be referring to two things, A Singular Destiny out in February and something new from Voyager in April. (not that both might not be pleasing for Voyager…ites)

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Give PAD a break! We've only just seen issue #1 of the NF comic, with numerous instalments yet to come. You can bet there'll be more NF.

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Well, since Karen was kind enough to start this thread....

Here are the new projects that were announced at NY Comic-Con at the very well attended Star Trek Books panel this afternoon, which was run by Marco Palmieri, Margaret Clark, David Mack, Christopher L. Bennett, and myself. (Note that these are just the new things announced here for the first time; the panel presentation included the entire current schedule, but the other stuff has already been announced and is easily findable on the 'net.) (Note also that the following is tentative and subject to change, as always.)

September 2008:
    Star Trek 101 by Terry J. Erdmann & Paula M. Block

February 2009:
    A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido

March 2009:
    TOS: Mere Anarchy by Mike W. Barr, Christopher L. Bennett, Margaret Wander Bonanno, Dave Galanter, Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore, and Howard Weinstein
    Titan: Over a Torrent Sea by Christopher L. Bennett

April 2009:
    VOY: Full Circle by Kirsten Beyer

May 2009:
    Vanguard Book 4 by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore

There is also now an author list for Mirror Universe: Shards and Shadows, still set for January 2009 release:
    • Christopher L. Bennett
      Margaret Wander Bonanno
      Peter David
      Keith R.A. DeCandido
      Michael Jan Friedman
      Jim Johnson
      Rudy Josephs
      David Mack
      Dave Stern
      James Swallow
      Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
      Susan Wright
    Other notes:

Vanguard Book 4 doesn't have a title yet. My money's on it being a Rush song...... ;)

The February, March, and April books are jokingly being referred to as "cleaning up Mack's mess." :guffaw: All three will follow up on the events of Destiny.

Full Circle will actually pick up initially where Spirit Walk Book 2 left off, and take Voyager aaaaaaall the way through to Destiny and beyond -- which means the book will cover a few years, all told, and it will set the tone for future post-finale VOY fiction.

Over a Torrent Sea will pick up where Destiny leaves off, as Christopher picks up the pieces from whatever Dave leaves of Titan. :evil:

Yes, that's really Mere Anarchy on an actual schedule. :D It'll probably also have an introduction or afterword or some such by me.....

Star Trek 101 is a book designed for people who don't read this board. :lol: It's meant as a primer for the casual fan, someone who's been hearing the buzz about this movie, and knows that Star Trek exists, but doesn't know much about it. Having said that, there are fun things there for the more dedicated fans. My personal favorite: there'll a list of the 10 essential episodes of each live-action series, as well as a "Spock's Brain" award for each series. :D (I asked Margaret if "Spock's Brain" won the "Spock's Brain" award, and she assured me it did...)

Finally, A Singular Destiny is a little bit of a different beast. The people who've been clamoring for a Clancy-style political thriller will like this one, as it's about the political fallout from Destiny's events (which will be considerable). It won't feature any of the main crews, although a ship that plays a big role in Destiny will also play a big role here, as well as familiar faces from other parts of the Trek universe. The protagonist will be a civilian character of my own creation.

Oh, and those of you who want to see more of the Bacco Administration from Articles of the Federation, both the Destiny trilogy and A Singular Destiny will feature those characters in good-sized roles.

I think that covers the high points. Dave or Christopher may remember other stuff I've forgotten....

Oh, the covers for Greater than the Sum, Kobayashi Maru, and Destiny Book 2: Mere Mortals have also been revealed, but I don't want to post them until I check with M&M tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  8. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

KRAD, thanks for the update!

Let me get this straight... three months straight of Titan in the Destiny trilogy, and then Christopher writes the next installment due in March '09?

Pants, meet soiled. :drool::drool::drool:

Edited to add: I love that title, Over a Torrent Sea.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

An excellent set of authors. That'll be a must buy.

So when does Peter David do his bit in the cleaning? :p

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I might check it out.

10. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Niiiice, I tend not to get/read a lot of the books as soon as they come out, but there's loads I intend to do so late 08/early 09!

11. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Uummm... ewww??

12. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most excellant. More Titan goodness from an ass-kicking Titan author.

Fuckin' A. It's about bleeding time we see movement on this front, and can I mention how astoundingly happy I am that we've finally switched authors, or does that go without saying? I remember enjoying Beyer's String Theory book, so this seems like a good choice. I presume the title means something will finally be made of all that advanced tech Voyager brought back with it. Must say I'm a bit guarded about covering that much time in one book, but I figure there must be gaps that can be filled in at a later date, and hopefully the book will be of considerable size to cover that much time. In any case, I will buy this.

Bacco's a civilian, he mentions hopefully. But if it were her, you'd probably have told us, yeah? Still, I'm pumped. Primed. Whatever.

Book 2 but not Book 1? Curious.

Edited to add:
    The Cloud wasn't his best piece (I'm a big Ozymandias fan myself), but I'm always happy to see Shelley get some love. I just wish my curriculum had more Shelley and Coleridge and less bloody Wordsworth.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  13. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

President Bacco will be in the book, but that's not who I was referring to. This is a new character who's never appeared before.

Not really. :lol: It was just one of those weird things. Books 1 and 3 will be available soon enough.....

14. Therin of Andor

All most excellent news! Thanks KRAD!

15. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, it looks like this'll be my only new Star Trek purchase during the first half of last year. It's weird; there seem to be fewer books by authors I enjoy every year.

16. Therin of Andor

It's weird, but your loss. ;) I'm stoked.

17. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good news so far, I'm hoping the ENT Relaunch Romulan War Trilogy is still planned for 2009?

18. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Indeed. I used to buy about eight or nine books a year, on average, but I've watched that slowly sink to the point that I bought only two book last year.

I'm glad you'll enjoy yourself. :)

19. bennyrex

bennyrex Lieutenant Red Shirt

Dude! I felt spoiled by what a wonderful year *this* one was going to be for Star Trek books. Next year looks just as awesome! More Vanguard! More Titan! More KRAD exploration of the Star Trek world beyond the TV crews... Be still my heart! (plus that anthology looks uber-awesome.) I continue to feel very spoiled as a fan.

20. ensign niner

ensign niner Cadet Newbie

The most reassuring thing about the book list (which sounds great) is that David Mack will let some characters live (otherwise subsequent books wouldn't exist)! Now, we need to all chip in and get these authors some coffee (maybe intravenous for KRAD) so that they can keep writing such good stuff.:rommie: