Why did Damar never tell Kira that Dukat was posing as a Bajoran?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ainhoa, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Lieutenant Red Shirt

As the title says. If he and Kira were fighting side by side and developed a type of respect for one another then why did he not tell her about Dukat?
    Was it because he just thought Dukat had gone crazy and would cause no serious mischief?
    Was he still extremely loyal to Dukat?
    It has been bugging me for quite some time now.
    Any takes?

2. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I never thought about it!

I think it might depend on how much he knew about Dukat's plans. I suppose he might know nothing, as it didn't seem like Dukat shared anything with him, or if he did, Damar assumed that Dukat simply lost his mind (which was the truth).

Or he thought that mentioning Dukat could destroy their fragile alliance. It wasn't easy without Dukat's shadow over them, so why to bring his former mentor who lost his mind and now was doing gods-know-what on Bajor.

3. Ainhoa

That`s true. Damar knew Kira hated Dukat and she knew what he was capable of. As you said, their alliance was rocky, if Kira knew she would have probably went back to DS9.

4. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Why do you know they never talked about him? We only see a very few scenes of them working together. Of course I know its not real, but if we would asume, it would be, then we did not see what they talked about the other 23 hours of the day. ;)

Oh and in one fanfic story at least the author does have him tell Kira, that Dukat looks like a Bajoran now.

TerokNor

5. Gul Re'jal

I think it would have some influence on Kira and would be shown. She would show. She would tell someone. She would notify the authorities on Bajor and Dukat would be looked for. It's not only a matter of the conversation itself, but also--or perhaps rather--the results of it. Kira wouldn't just shake it off and go on.

And I don't think they talked 23 h/day. Cardassians sleep, too :p ;)

6. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

But they also don´t sleep 23 hours/day. Besides, if he told it to her when they were in the basement, she had no possibility to tell it to someone. And we also only get to see what the writers wrote and what got filmed. As we don´t know exactly how long they were in the cellar, maybe we didn´t see the 5 days Kira ran around grumbling about crazy Dukat and demanding Garak or Damar should find a way to let her send a message to DS9. Maybe we saw her just when she was already calmed down again and had more important things to worry about... like the Dominion. :p ;)

TerokNor

P.S. Do not get into a debate-match with me, my cardassian fellow. You know I win! ;) (Hach...I wonder why people find Cardassians arrogant... strange..)

7. Gul Re'jal

Possible, but imho less probable than the fact that Damar didn't tell her anything. I can find more reasons for him not to tell her than find proofs why we didn't see her anger after he told her. Actually, I only see proofs that he did not tell her anything. Kira wouldn't just "calm down." She was one to hold grudges for years. Working with Damar was bad enough, adding Dukat to this mixture and the Dominion or no the Dominion, she'd tell the Cardassians to go to hell and return home to protect it from its former prefect who became a threat again. She already knew he was mad, she knew he followed Pah Wraiths, she would care more about her home than about her home's former butchers.

PS. And that's true, the Cardassians don't sleep 23 h/day. They were busy fighting the Dominion. That was more important than discussing the madman, who sold them to it.

8. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Oh but she was not fighting ONLY for Cardassia, she was fighting the Dominion. She was fighting for the Alpha Quadrant and Bajor within it.

Though you know what I would find interessting to know, if he would have told her about Dukat and that he helped him again, which shows that he still was not totally free of him so late in the war (and if he would have met Dukat again while rebelling, who knows... maybe Dukat also there still would have a little influence over him at least)... anyway..now I lost my point... uhm... it would have been interessting to see her questioning his loyalty to Dukat, in a time where he is already somewhat open for questioning himself. Pitty DS9 is about the Federation and mostly on those characters and not mainly on Cardassia. I am still dissapointed he didn´t get mentioned anymore after he died.

TerokNor

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I always wondered about that, which is why, while it would have been sort of nice to have Damar survive, he did help Dukat.

10. Ainhoa

The look on Damars face when Dukat walked in as a Bajoran was priceless. He was like wtf??? At that point maybe Damar realised that Dukat had gone loco and was beyond help. Whatever Dukat planned to do on Bajor wasn`t a big concern for him. He probably came to the conclusion that Dukat wasn`t going to save the day for him and that he had to do it himself. It made sense not to tell Kira. He needed her skills on Cardassia.

11. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I think only part of him realized that. Another part of him, strange as it is, seemed to respond to Dukat's little motivational speech. I'm not sure how much of the hero worship he ever really lost.

12. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Damar still had some loyalty to Dukat. Even tough he was crazy. After all, Damar did agree to help Dukat.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Purely selfish - Damar knew that if he told Kira about Dukat, either she would stop helpin' the Cardassian Resistance to go back to Bajor, or attempt to contact someone on Bajor to warn 'em, not that she would have much to go with..."Picture Dukat, but without scales...and with a tan!"

It seemed to be that once Kira, Odo & Garak were in Cardassian space, they were cut off from DS9, so any attempts to contact the station or Bajor itself would have been risky.

Damar needed Kira's help and he wasn't goin' to get it by bein' completely honest. That simple.

14. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Agreed. Actually I think that Dukats encouragement played a big part in Damar finally coming out of his depression with the Breen then being the last kick needed.

TerokNor