The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

April 14th.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

And the only other time we see it (in The Southern Raiders) it's used during an extremely dark, even sinister time of Katara's life.

4. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, thanks!

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the free hour long premier on Itunes yesterday and I loved it. I'm not real familiar with A:TLA, but I know enough that I was able to enjoy the appearances by Katara, and refernces to the other characters. Honestly, I think they way they approached this was perfect, it is obviously built upon what was established by the original show, but at the same time it has it's own identity, and can be enjoyed purely on it's own. I really really liked this, and look forward to the rest of the season.

6. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"I figured that if Aang's spirit-bending could let him take away someone's bending ability, it could also let him imbue someone with bending ability." - That's a rather large assumption.
    For a comparison - it's easy to turn a cow into hamburgers; the other way around, all but impossible.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just managed to watch the first two episodes. Pretty good so far. I definitely like Tenzin's kids. They're hilarious. So far, though, we haven't gotten too much info on the main conflict of the series. I'm hoping they find a way to make it feel as epic as TLA. After you save the world from Fire Nation oppression after a 100-year war, fighting some anti-bending protesters seems a little lame. Obviously, though, we don't have enough information yet to make that kind of judgment.

One thing I really would like to see, though, are some flashbacks or something to the original characters. As much as I appreciate this show's ability to exist on its own, I couldn't help but miss the original crew.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Don't worry, I'm certain that sooner or later, Korra will go on a spirit journey and meet Ang. So there's that at least. ;)

Maybe it's just the story being restricted to one city, the implied shadowy conspiracies or the anthology style narrative, but the tone of the show reminds me a lot of the latter half of 'Book Two: Earth'. Which suits me fine since the Ba Sing Se arc is still my favourite part of the old show.
    As for what the core conflict actually is, I read somewhere that it has something to do with Zuko, or his legacy. Not sure if that's political--Republic City is build where the old fire nation colonies were--familial like an heir or pretender or something more personal, perhaps tied to his Blue Spirit alter ego.

9. Christopher

There is a graphic-novel trilogy in the works called The Promise which is set a year after "Sozin's Comet" and tells the canonical further adventures of the original cast, as well as laying groundwork for the world of Korra. Volume 1 is already out, Vol. 2 comes out next month (IIRC), and Vol. 3 is slated for September.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's The Promise as Christopher mentioned, but a comic book just isn't the same. I'm hoping we get a full episode flashback with the original cast at some point.

11. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

But this is a new show. The old characters already had 3 seasons to themselves. They are gone, let the new characters grow without "flashback bombing" the new crew.

12. Christopher

I agree. If they wanted to make more A:TLA, they would've just done a fourth season. This is a new show in a new era, defining its own distinct identity.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there were plans for spinoff movies that apparently never got green lit.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not saying I want them coming back in full force or taking the spotlight from the new characters. Maybe some flashbacks dealing with the founding of Republic City or the political situation there while Aang was still alive. I don't want them to shoehorn the characters in just so I can see them again, but I feel there might be some valid reasons to get a glimpse into what they were doing between TLA and Korra.

15. Christopher

^Occasional flashbacks, maybe, but doing a full episode of A:TLA content in the middle of TLoK would feel intrusive.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Having a rising tide of people who want to put an end to bending seems pretty big to me. Like I said up-thread, it strikes me as a bigger threat to the world of Avatar than one nation going rogue. What remains to be seen is how well the show handles the issue.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

But Amon doesn't have the resources of an advanced nation-state behind him. At best all he has are chi-blockers,

steampunk mecha and possibly his own version of spirit bending.

So while his organization is less impressive than the Fire Nation. As an individual nemesis, he might be more threatening than Ozai.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think right now it seems like less of an issue because, as far as we've seen, it's only happening in one city, whereas Fire Lord Ozai was hell bent on taking over the world. It's still early, obviously, but I really hope we see more of how this anti-bender movement is affecting things on a global scale.

19. Christopher

^But Republic City is a microcosm for the new world. It's a city where people from all four nations live together in a unified society, just as the whole world does in this new era. As it goes, so goes the entire new global order.

After all, this is a new, industrialized world. In the 70 years since Sozin's Comet, the world has modernized and been brought closer together by radio, automobiles, and other industrial-era technologies. So the world of A:TLA, where the various nations and cultures were more separate, is giving way to one that's growing more interconnected. Korra is about events and changes that affect the whole world; it's just that we're seeing them happen in the place that serves as a social, political, and economic focus for the world as a whole.

Here's a nice new interview with Konietzko and DiMartino that gives some new insights:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/...el-dante-dimartino-bryan-konietzko-interview/

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I get that. Again, after only two episodes, we just haven't seen that much of the conflict yet. I'm not complaining about anything, just expressing my hopes. If Republic City is in fact supposed to represent the world, I hope the show does a good job of expressing that.