SUPERMAN

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Feb 18, 2010.

1. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

If they reboot Superman again, I also think they need to skip the origina story. Maybe do it through a montage during the opening credits and then have the opening scene move straight into Superman or Clark as an adult, all settled in and ready for an adventure.

WE ALREADY KNOW HE'S FROM KRYPTON THAT WENT BOOM AND GREW UP ON A FARM.

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just Superman is fine by me.

What's not fine is that we may have to go through a freaking origin story yet again. :scream:

3. DonnyBaker

DonnyBaker Lieutenant

YESSS!!!!

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is that whenever we have a thread on a Superman movie that it inevitably turns into a "they better not have an origin story" discussion? Ugh. Anyways I have no problem with them using "Superman" as a film title. Nor do I have a problem with them using a subtitle if it's something like "Man of Steel" or "Last Son" etc like has been suggested. I just have a problem with studios using subtitles on projects that the majority of people know because they think we don't know what the movie is supposed to be about.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'd rather they included a subtitle to it. Even if it's not a sequel to anything, there's still precedent for having the 1st film of a series use a subtitle. SEE G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Pirates of the Carribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant.

I'd go with Superman: The Man of Steel or Superman: Last Son of Krypton.

Frankly, I'm really bugged by the lack of subtitle in the new Star Trek movie. It makes it more difficult to easily reference it in a discussion with the other 10 movies.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

But how many people actually call any of those movies by their full title? Certainly, in cinemas, people just ask for tickets to 'Pirates of the Carribean' or 'GI Joe' or 'Wolverine', I've yet to hear anyone say the full names.

God knows how long it would take the queues to disperse if they did ...

7. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I'd love a Superman movie that actually focuses on the character, isn't an origin story, and isn't a rehash of the shitty movies and television series (not including the animated series; they actually got it right). No "deconstruction" of the character, no "reimagining" him as a gothic dweeb with a suit in a can, no hot pink kryptonite that turns him into a flaming homosexual, etc. Just a real Superman story with the real Superman character being a real superhero.

I'd even be okay with another Lex Luthor story (preferably as the businessman or president versions), though it's high time some of his other villains got the limelight. Sure, his Rogue's Gallery isn't as awesome as Batman's, but he has some cool ones hidden in there. Brainiac (particularly the animated series version) and Bizarro (ditto) are two that come to mind, though the "Hollywood" types would probably prefer someone shiny and "cool" like Metallo or something.

Lois Lane should just be the damsel in distress that she's supposed to be, not the lead character with Superman being a pussy-whipped, bastard-fathering stalker in the background. Jimmy Olsen could use some updating; I thought Lois & Clark did a good job in that respect, though it needs to go farther. And for the love of God, they don't need any other "last sons of Krypton" floating around (with Brainiac being a notable exception).

8. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

I still like the old rumored title from way back in the mid 90s ... Superman: New Genesis.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Wherein Superman replaces Phil Collins.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Superman origin story is the Superman story, period. That's why it gets retold over and over - if there's anything like an actual legend or folklore associated with Supes, it's the story about the rocket and adoption and growing up on a farm and going out into the world. It's John Henry and the steam drill; it's Robin Hood and the archery contest.

11. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree. Thousands of issues of DC comics, multiple movies, serials and tv episodes have nothing to so with Supes's origin.
    Death of Batman's parents and radioactive spiders keep popping up, and of course define the characters, but aren't the entirety of the story.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And every time they want to create an "event" they go back and retell Superman's origin. Because it's the Superman story.

13. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

For literalists
    Superman: There is going to be a lot of Punching in this Movie.

For a Doomsday Trillogy:
    Superman: 10 till Doomsday
    Superman: Doomsday's Arrival
    Superman: Doomsday's End

For Inducement of Heart Attacks in Superman Fans.
    Superman: Krypto the SuperDog's Big Day

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Precisely. Subtitles are easy enough to ignore. Yet once the sequels come out, it makes it alot easier to refer to all of the movies in the series opposite each other. I much prefer saying "The Curse of the Black Pearl" as opposed to just "the 1st one." I'm also glad that George Lucas added "Episode IV: A New Hope" to the opening crawl of the original Star Wars in 1979.

Kinda sounds like what the title would be in the universe of The Invention of Lying.

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sort of like the idea of just simply naming it Superman. It would be a good way to really start fresh.

Though I like some of the other suggestions, like Superman: Last Son of Krypton, I think that's a mouthful.

Perhaps it could go something like:
    Superman
    Man of Steel
    Man of Tomorrow (though I guess it would probably be redundant to use man twice)
    Last Son of Krypton

Superman has universal name recognition. I don't think his name has to be at the beginning of each title so long as its announced in the commercials and his "S" shield is prevalent in the marketing of the film.

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if the next film does get called...

SUPERMAN UNLEASHED!

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

You've earned the right to continue using your username for a little longer. :)