Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Dammit! I wanted to be the one who said "Huzzah!!"

Well.. DOUBLE Huzzah!!

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Infinity Huzzah!!!! Ah ha!!!

3. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decent episode this week. I agree too much Chang, and I'm really not interested in Shirley's storyline either. Really, I'd be happy if the whole series was just about Troy and Abed. Best bromance on tv.

4. Admiral_Young

When it comes right down to it the show is basically about Troy and Abed's antics and what's going on between Jeff, Britta, and Annie. Pearce is comic fodder and Shirley seems to have her own separate thing. The show is best when all of these aspects come together.

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Anyone else think the 3rd series is gonna be the last? I mean, I think they only "need" to be in Community College for 3 years, and I can't think of a feasible reason for them to hang around.

6. Admiral_Young

I think that it's a likely possibility. I can't imagine them milking the show past a fourth season, and of course it will probably depend if the ratings plummet. I really wish "Community" was promoted better on NBC.

7. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well the weeks episode was great I like chang over pearce . the jail seane was hillarious .

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Jeff mentioned that he was taking a four year degree and that he screwed up his strict four-year-plan by taking that second class with the study group.

Full-time community college degrees usually take two years with an associate's degree given at the end. It's only more recently that some community colleges have started giving out full-time four-year bachelor's degrees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/education/03community.html

Edit: Also, I think season 2 only corresponds with the second semester rather than the second year. That pattern would leave the show as finishing in 8 or 9 seasons.

9. Admiral_Young

^ This is why I think they could push it to a fourth season. If they wanted to...they could do a one year after Community college type season where we follow where everyone has gone. That could be interesting.

10. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I added an edit in which I mentioned that each season appears to correspond with a semester rather than a school year. That would mean 4 school years would equal 8 seasons. Though, it sounds like Jeff might need an extra semester or two to graduate. I could see the registration system forcing everybody to stay in school for 9 or 10 semesters (meaning 9 or 10 seasons).

11. Admiral_Young

Damn. I meant fifth season...

12. 14thDoctor

14thDoctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. Show's taking place in real time, such as it is.

That's how everyone ended up in Anthropology in Season 2, because they'd already done two semesters of Spanish and completed their language requirement in Season 1.

13. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

And they've been pretty explicit about holidays, we've seen 2 Halloween episodes already.

14. Admiral_Young

^ Yep they're pretty much in real time. 2 Halloweens, etc.

15. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Okay, that would mean four or five seasons would be needed for Jeff to graduate. Their registration system seems pretty terrible, so I could see it going for five seasons.

Edit: Though, they always have the option of slowing down to one season per semester should they really want to continue for a bit longer.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

As others have said one season is one year.

More so because we had a Halloween episode this year and Shirley will give birth this season.

I'm fine with a show getting four seasons, I'm just happy we are getting a 3rd. Maybe they will get 100 episodes and end it.

17. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Christ. Since when do TV shows last precisely as long as the premise logically allows? :lol:

It's an NBC show. It'll go 'til it gets cancelled and then it'll stop, and that will be decided by the network based on ratings not when they "graduate" or when they're out of stories or whatever.

Also, if you NEEEED to justify it, it'd community college. People can go to community college as long as they please, whether they're getting a degree or not. Doesn't matter. That's the point.

18. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

^Well, hey, M*A*S*H went eleven seasons, yet the Korean War only lasted three years!

19. Admiral_Young

Yeah it's nothing to get worked up about, the question was simply brought up. I think the season finale will be truly something special to watch and that will also touch on lingering plot lines. For me I hope there is some kind of definitive resolution for Jeff and Annie, although I suspect this will continue to linger into season three. I know Jeff doesn't do committed relationships but I think the three of the them: Annie, Jeff, and Britta need some kind of separate relationship arcs.

20. Admiral_Young

Looking forward to tonight's episode, it's the "Pulp Fiction" homage episode and Abed's birthday.