Nu-Kirk and family

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by TyberiusDeAngelo, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TyberiusDeAngelo

TyberiusDeAngelo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Though we will probably never get to see this, I wonder how Kirk in this AU would be as a husband and father to Carol Marus and David. Given that Kirk did not have a father-figure in his life growing up, I wonder if he would allow David to grow up without a dad as the prime-Kirk did. Might be interesting to explore how Kirk managed exploring the galaxy and balanced a family life. Just an idea that popped into my head today and wanted to see what other people thought. Cheers!

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I got the impression that Kirk-Prime wanted to stay as a father figure, but it was Carol who told him to butt out. If NuCarol is somewhat the same, NuKirk might be asked to butt out too.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

nuKirk does not seem like the type who would, or could, ever be a father.

4. Broccoli

Neither did Kirk-Prime during the run of the original series.

5. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be so sure. Orci and Kurzman originally wanted to have a cameo appearance by a younger version of Carol Marcus, but decided against it because of the time limits and because it wasn't essential to this movie. But this might suggest that they had/have plans to have Carol appear in a substantial role in one of the sequels.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

I think he did. Kirk of TOS wasn't the snotty, immature jerk that nuKirk is.

7. TyberiusDeAngelo

TyberiusDeAngelo Lieutenant Red Shirt

That would be interesting

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Perhaps nuKirk will never meet Carol, because he apparently hasn't met Gary Mitchell - and Gary set Kirk and Carol up in the first place.

9. Spork111

Spork111 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Possibly. However, we don't know for sure that's who Gary Mitchell was talking about - he just says "that little blond lab technician." For all we know, that could have been Ruth from "Shore Leave" or even someone else.

Anyway, I'm not sure what direction they're going to go with nuKirk's love interests. He had that fling with Gaila in XI, but I'm going to guess that's all that was and it was really there to satisfy demand that Kirk get it on with a green alien woman.:p (BTW, I'm really glad they cut out the subplot about Kirk using Gaila to cheat on the Kobayashi Maru - now THAT would have been immature.)

I heard that the writers initially had a scene with a young Jim and Carol in Iowa, but that it was cut out. So it seems there's at least an interest in bringing Carol into the story, but TPTB may opt to have different love interests. After all, he's got a reputation to uphold, not to mention it adds a little freedom to write new characters. They could even do something like Janice Rand, although that's really tricky in this day and age. Kirk having a relationship with his glorified secretary may not be very well received in this day and age. Hell, even back in TOS, it was only mildly flirtatious - whatever the ultimate intention was.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It was never made clear during TOS whether Jim Kirk's parents were alive. Non-canon fiction depicts the father as a Star Fleet officer who dies in the service, A corrupt security officer, even a ambitious Iowa politician. In the prime universe it's possible that Kirk senior was alive well into the movie era.

Mitchell's referances made Kirk sound serious as a younger man, unlike Pine's character. The presence of a father may have been the difference.

11. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Gaila and Kirk; you never know, if Pike is his father figure in nuTrek, maybe young Kirk inherited a thing for green women, a la The Cage era Pike... ;)

12. Broccoli

Who is to say that NuKirk can't grow into that? Also to keep in mind, that we meet NuKirk 8 years or so before we met Kirk-Prime.

Well, Spock-Prime did mention how Kirk's dad was alive at least until Kirk took command of the Enterprise.

13. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    I think Carol as the love interest of young Captain Kirk could still fit, Starfleet gave the wild fatherless young Kirk the discipline and self confidence to attract Carol now after his academy years. Carol could be a Starfleet officer, young, brilliant, in the science department, on board the USS Enterprise. Marcus and Kirk fall passionately in love during the course of the next film and eventually Carol decides that because of tragic or dangerous events that occur during the course of the film that Starfleet isn't for her and resigns to pursue a career as a scientist. Knowing that being with Kirk would be impossible since he is in Starfleet she she decides that marriage with Kirk is out of the question.