Britons Rejoice - eBooks are coming

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BrotherBenny, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

If you mean my sentance length, yes I know they are pretty loooooong, I was always told when writing news copy at uni (I was a Broadcast Journalist student) I should refrain from those lengths as we were not meant to go over fourteen words before a capital letter cropped up.

2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Take the book Forged in Fire. The list price is $7.99. The eBook price is $5.19. Now take 15% off the cost of the pBook and with no sales tax, you get $6.79. That's a difference of $1.60. Now if you have to add sales tax and/or shipping, that increases the price even more for the pBook while the eBook stays the same. So eventually, you would save enough money to have paid for the reader.

3. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

As long as I am where I left off when I shut off the reader, I can just turn it back on and it comes right up to the place I left off. Very fast.

Te reader I have has 210.2MB of free internal memory for content and according to Sony can hold about 160 eBooks. I have 78 eBooks and a few photos on it and have 139.6MB left. I could use an SD card or a memory stick with it for even more memory. But I find I have no need at present as the internal memory is enough so far.

The battery is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It lasts quite a long time. You can either turn off the reader fully or turn it off into standby. Standby is where it turns on right away towhere you left off. But if you don't plan on using the reader for a few days or longer, then turning it fully off is the best way to preserve the battery. It lasts quite a long time. More then a week easily. But how much you read also has an impact on battery life. The reader uses eink and once the screen is drawn, it takes no power to keep the screen visible. It still takes power otherwise. But if you were reading on say an iPod Touch, you'd need to power the device and the LCD screen where eink need no power to the screen except for making changes to the conents of the screen.

Most online eBook shops allow you to redownload already purchased content. But as these are just files, once you download them, you can back them up. Also, you can backup the contents of your reader. So if you were to lose the conents of your reader, you could either redownload from where you purchased or just reload from your computer.

Yes, it is nice to be able to look at the bookshelves and see the books you've purchased and want to keep. But, there does come a time when you won't have room to display all of your books in a way that you can see them.

When I am laying in bed on my side, it's a lot easier to read using my reader then it is to read a hardcover or omnibus edition. The normal paperback is not a problem though.

4. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I just bought a bigger house.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That's how I did it - my house looks like a library.

People always ask "where's the TV?" and then make their excuses and leave when I tell them I don't own a TV.

6. Brefugee

Cheers for all that Jwolf, I saw a leafleat in Waterstones yesterday, it's looks ok, but I'll still pass.

Oh and I have no problems paying fall wack for a book if it's worth it, if not, I just use my student card which is anywhere between 5 > 20% discount, but that runs out soon!

Not a bigger boat then?

And that can be a problem, but one thats easily solved, get a new bookshelf :vulcan:

7. Dayton Ward

^ I bought more bookshelves when I bought a bigger house. :)

8. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had too many books and not enough money for a bigger house. So I bought some mortar and solved both problems in one swoop.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. Brefugee

Although on my income and the whole credit crunch which is constently in the news, I found it more cost effective to just buy a new bookshelf or two!

10. Dayton Ward

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ohh, that image is going to get a lot of use, I can tell...

12. Brefugee

That aimed at me as if so, I know :klingon:

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where does that picture come from?

14. Dayton Ward

It's a screencap from "The Tholian Web."

15. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Specifically a POV shot of a deranged Chekov as Spock tries to calm him.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah cool, thanks.