Star Ship AJAX Production

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by JimTheBuilder, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Somewhere else on this board is information on where they got and what they used for the button on the set for TOS, and where they can be bought today. Since I have ZERO personal interest in producing fan films, I didn't take note of it. But somebody might be able to guide you to that posting.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Really? What's the problem with them?

I have several trays that I used to make buttons for the Starship Farragut bridge. I could take a look at them and see where they came from.

5. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

With this set the cubes don't taper, they are square but the corners are rounded inward. If you look closely, at the tray, where the edges of 4 cubes meet it looks like a circle. Hope that makes sense.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Ah.

Good luck.

7. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

This is an area where I think "close enough" would be "good enough". Even though ships may come from a specific line, each one is going to be a bit different, so if you're switches and buttons are slightly different from another version, that adds to authenticity in my opinon, instead of detracting from it.

8. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Remember we do have Exeter's set. I can use their buttons to create my own molds, only I was hoping to not need to. I've never made a mold for anything before. Until a couple of weeks ago I had never casted anything before or even thought about doing it. But by this time next week I'll probably have slightly irregular molds filling my trash can, and in a couple of weeks some usable molds and maybe even new buttons.

9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Well, one of the reasons I got involved with a fan production was to add to my skill set and after a long, slow learning curve I have certainly done that! Good luck and when things get too frustrating, just remind yourself how much fun you're having!

10. Tribble Herder

Tribble Herder Lieutenant Commander

I sense a run on iPads in the Oklahoma City area coming soon...

11. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If memory serves, the name of the person who created the buttons for Starship Exeter is Art Retallick. Here's his linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/artretallick

It might be worth your time to send him an email and see if he'll respond.

12. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

How about a short video or some pictures to see how things are going???? Please

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The reality is that unless you're doing super tight closeups of the button, the difference isn't going to be noticeable. It can become a problem if you lose sight of the set as a film set with a practical function and start treating it like a "museum piece".

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

What Maurice says ...

But I want to add that this is also the type of thinking that I feel plagues fan films. So overly concerned with inconsequential minutia, such as matching a button detail that won't even really be seen, rather than things that should really matter —*the story they are telling.

15. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is true, but none of the ice trays are even close so it would stand out. I think I have this problem solved thanks to some friends at the TPZ. Looks like the marble problem is solved too. At least things are moving forward on that end.

As far as the build goes, we are right back to where we left off before the move, getting those *^$!@&%$ roof pieces in place and lined up.

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic but if you want to see video of where we are now, you can look at the video we posted the first of January. That's where we are now. While I was away for my paying job nothing got done with the build. I'm back at it now and hopefully we'll start making progress again as soon as we get those *^$!@&%$ roof pieces in place and lined up.

Actually since I've been back we've achieved quite a bit but much of it has been work on the new building instead of the bridge. I promise as soon as we get something new to show I'll post it.

On a side note, we sat in our bridge the other night and watched, on the view screen, Star Trek Phase II, "The Child". If you have not watched this yet it is a must. They have done an incredible job and achieved a new level of quality for a fan film. Great acting, Great story, Great sets, Great CGI, Great directing. It is really like watching a brand new TOS episode. I can't wait for the next episode which as I understand it, won't be long.

16. AjaxSupportCrew

AjaxSupportCrew Lieutenant Red Shirt

as stated by X-32, work is progressing slowly once again.........
    Pics WILL BE posted as soon as we have something new to show................

17. Tribble Herder

That must've been a surreal experience, sitting on the bridge watching a Star Trek episode on the viewscreen.

18. x32

x32 Lieutenant Red Shirt

If just seemed fitting.

19. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just FYI, work is being done to recondition and rewire the old EXETER center seat. It's gotten a little banged up and dirty, but soon it'll look just like new! BTW, does anyone know the dimentions of a commisioning plaque? I'd like to get one made for the AJAX...in fact, I'll take suggestions on what shipyard she was built in...

Fire away!!

20. Tribble Herder

Roddenberry.com was selling replicas. The product description should have the dimensions.

Or someone could ask Mike Okuda.