Real-world religions on futuristic sci-fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by alpha_leonis, May 21, 2014.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Why wouldn't he be? Did he say otherwise?

That seems like a really close minded attitude. Just because a sophont is not from Earth doesn't mean they can't be what they want. That's specist.

I don't see that, although I remember in the old Mechwarroir rpg background info, it said Muslems were rather put off by space travel and stayed on Earth.

I don't know why any religion would be bothered by more people unless their whole basis is there is no more people, in which they'd be pretty much out.

And just to add, I thought the atheists, Garibaldi and Marcus, were well done on Babylon 5, too. They weren't constantly trying to mock the characters that had a religon or make them feel stupid for believing in something bigger than themselves. I really liked the one time that Garabaldi told Sinclair, "You better pray to that God of yours Jeff..." something, they were having trouble. It might be seen as mocking, but he said it as We need all the help we can get and I thought it was two freinds with different beliefs interacting in a believable manner.

2. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Besides, he's half-human. Why can't half-humans be Christians?

3. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They already explained that in season 6 of TNG...

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The end of Kirk's eulogy: "Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...human."

Well, what's the Catholic Church's stance on polygamy? I imagine that would be a sticking point for Phlox.

7. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Old Testament doesn't have a problem with polygamy. Who's to say the Catholic church hasn't changed that particular doctrine in the coming centuries? (Certainly a wwiii apocalyptic environment could trigger social changes aimed at restoring the population).

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Does the Old Testament endorse Polygamy, or is that just something Solomon did?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ It doesn't "endorse" the practice. Some people did it, but it's not being advocated or commanded or anything like that. Just something that happens.

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Jacob had two wives and two concubines.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And probably not a moment's rest. *runs away* :D

12. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I've been intrigued by is how Roddenberry and Meyer, for all their differences, seemed to think humans and others in Starfleet would be overwhelmingly atheist, with McCoy and Spock referring to Genesis as myth (the latter as ancient myth) and Valeris not even recognizing a representation of the expulsion.

I would imagine that a lot of the writers had some antagonism toward the religions of their day (and may have wanted to imply that they would diminish as progress) or, even without hostility, felt they couldn't write a religious character convincingly enough or it would introduce too much conflict between characters and distraction from the main plots.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, this goes back to "The Cage" when Pike's hellfire-and-brimstone torture is attributed to "a fable you once heard in your childhood."

And, honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would expect Valeris to recognize an image out of Earth mythology when she's not even half-human like Spock is. There must be thousands of creation myths in the Federation alone; there's no way even a Vulcan could be familiar with every cultural reference on every planet.

The expulsion from Paradise is a common theme in Western art and culture, on the planet Earth, but on Andor or Vulcan or Romulus? We might as well expect Sulu to immediately recognize a scene from Argellian myth or history.

This isn't even necessarily a religious thing. Would Valeris recognize a painting of, say, Aphrodite rising from the foam, Arthur receiving Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake, or even Washington crossing the Delaware?

Maybe she just never took Terran Humanities 101?

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Well, probably not with Leah, anyway. They had six boys and one girl together.

15. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True but Valeris was at the top of the class and in both 23rd and 24th century Starfleet personnel have generally been characterized as overwhelmingly human so I would assume historical and cultural influence in training and socializing would also be Earth-centric. If so this emphasizes how much humans were portrayed as moving away from awareness, let alone taking seriously, major religious ideas.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anybody brought up this dialog in "Balance of Terror" yet? I always liked this:

Very pluralistic and inclusive.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Probably just a happy coincidence, but I noticed he said "two people" rather than "man and woman" or something like that.

18. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Great post, I love that episode and that's a really good part of it.

I think in a future with many different kinds of sophonts, man and woman sound very human-centric. Even Spock says, "No. Nor am I a man. I'm a Vulcan..."