Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

So they'll cover the origin a bit, at least. Good.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can someone please explain to me the line of thinking behind this? Now maybe I'm confused because I like to use common sense, but this is exactly like saying The Dark Knight is aping Batman 1989 and Batman Forever simply because it reused Joker and Two-Face. By this same standard, anything that shows Clark Kent as a reporter who turns into Superman and Lois Lane as a fellow reporter and love interest fails to get past the content of the Donner films.

I will never understand this pick-and-choose mentality, especially when you know nothing of the actual script.

Hell, you could say that only Smallville has broken from the Donner films because it's about the Red-Blue Douchebag and not Superman! :lol:

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Contempt prior to investigation is the essence of fannishness. :lol;

4. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's exactly like what you're saying. There's a temptation to go back into my old argument again, but I think I've done that to death now, so I'll try not to. I can't speak for everyone else, but at least from my perspective part of the difference is how these characters are perceived.

The Joker and Two-Face are characters that both existed in many different media incarnations prior to the Burton/Schumacher movies and between them and the Nolan movies. There were filmation renderings and (for The Joker, not Two-Face), a live action take in the 60s TV series, and depictions in "Batman: The Animated Series" that many feel outdid their movie versions.

Again, I may just be speaking for myself, but I identify General Zod so strongly with "Superman II" that it's hard for me to think of him as anything but a character specific to that movie who belongs in it and nowhere else (at least as a live action character).

Yes, I know he first appeared in comic books and appeared on "Smallville", but that's beside the point. Someone countered my argument with that point, explaining how some of my examples of other characters who shouldn't be re-cast (i.e. Hans Gruber, Keyzer Sose) aren't the same because they were written specifically for the screen, unlike Zod. While that may technically be true, I still see him like them.

When I think "General Zod", I think "Superman II". I don't think of him as a comic book character that should be fair game for use in any number of live action takes on Superman. I like the whole movie, but I truly believe he carries it, and it would be much less of a movie without him.

That's why when I hear about him being included a new movie, I'm not intrigued to see a fresh take on a character that lends itself to multiple interpretations and has for years. I see people misappropriating something by taking out of the only context it should exist in. But then, I'm a rabid Stamp-as-Zod fanboy. :p

Also, I'm sorry but I am going to re-iterate one argument I made previously - The Joker and Two-Face were very shallowly portrayed in their big screen appearances, making their re-interpretation seem much more necessary and therefore, more welcome. We already got an awesome General Zod that couldn't possibly be topped, blah blah blah, etc. etc. :razz:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

Zod in Superman II, Zod in the "revamped" DC Comics, Zod in Smallville (you uchoose which one...the Lex version,...or the clone). Zod has been done to death...and I have read comics for over 30 years... ;) WHY can't we have a Superman that is not "Super"man,..rather Super"man"?..That is what I liked about Byrne's run in the comics that I thouroughly enjoyed. But I guess that I am in the minority of having him go up against someone that needs brains instead of brawn in an all out action fest.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If Zod isn't wearing a black bin-liner I'm out. I'M OUT.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

I only care about what the character is or is not going to do in this movie. I have no attachment to a character called "Zod" from a previous movie, at all.

8. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Capt. Mike, you had four years of Byrne's Superman on Lois & Clark. :)

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not surprised that the origin will be touched on in some manner. How has Zod been overused? Zod has been in two Superman films, "Smallville" (which maybe on average one point five million people watch on a weekly basis) and been revamped in the comics. Unless you've seen Zod in any of these films and are a hardcore Superman fan you're not gonna give a Kryptonian's arse if he is being used again.

Sometimes fans baffle me.

10. Captain Mike

And I would still like to see that on the air...;) Along with the couple decades of Jurgens, Breeding, Simonson(s), Ordiway, Kesel...and along the way I stopped after Waid wanted to revamp a "revamp"...I would prefer that rather than the old Zod SHIT once again...;)

11. Captain Mike

except that Zod is being used for "us" fans and we have given examples of this.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Because the director of Superman Returns said he liked the Donner films and was basing his movie as at least a partial sequel? Thematically there are several parallels between Returns and The Movie? ( Lex wanting to gain power through real estate, The movie beginning at the Kent farm with Clark's arrival from Krypton, Lex using Kryptonite to stop Superman, Superman succumbing to Kryptonite and falling in water, woman dives into water and saves superman, clumsy Kent portrayal...).
    as do I.
    No, because the characters were used in very different ways in those films.
    There is a difference between a character profile and reusing themes/plots.
    Pick and choose what? please enlighten me as to what I left out in my comparison?
    What script? I am referring to movies that have been out for years and noting that based on what little we know at this point it is starting to sound like Superman 2.
    You may think you're being funny, but truth be told, the various TV shows have been the only ones to break from the Donner films.(and the comics, obviously)

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Not a bit, actually.

You have a character name. That's it.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Dennis' response was a lot shorter and without the mocking tone my response would've contained. So I don't feel like hitting my head against the wall over this anymore.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

What part of the plot for "Superman: Man of Steel" sounds at all like "Superman 2"? By the way we know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of the plot for the new movie. Just pure rumors and the TEENIE TINY tid bit that Diane Lane stated about the origin. We won't know anything about the movie for a long while. I hate when fans freak out about stuff before anything is actually known lol.

16. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

No, but I do watch interviews and some of the things they say and see the things they do. I don't have to know someone personally to make a judgement call about people. Thierry actions speak for themselves. Maybe most is a strong word.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Latino Review Rumormill! :p

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-man-of-steel-will-reveal-a-new-krypton-more-13234

:shrug:

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^As long as we don't get the crystal planet Krypton I will be happy.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'd kind of like to hear your mocking tone. ;)

20. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm...Faora would be cool. Last played, well actually only been played by Erica Durance so far.