Question.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kenbushway, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

Simple question.
    Does anyone here get offended or hates the way nerds are portrayed on Big Bang theory? Just thought I had to ask.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Simple answer: No.

They are comic characters. It's not a documentary. Not that there isn't a bit of truth in the representations... But, no. The portrayals don't rate being offended or hate.

It's not like they are doing blackface or something.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

You mean, how they're portrayed as nice, decent people with good jobs, beautiful wives/girlfriends, respected by their colleagues, and who socialize with friends regularly around a variety of activities and interests?

Yes, I'm so pissed off...if I had my phaser right now I'd show those bastards a thing or two....

:lol:

;)

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen enough of the show to fairly answer the question... but from the bits and pieces I have seen, I can answer "yes" to the extent that I can't derive even mindless enjoyment from it the way I can, say, Friends, even if my interests might overlap more with TBBT's characters.

It might be more personal taste than objective criticism, but either way, every minute I've seen of the show has repulsed me.

@ 1001001: From what I've seen, Sheldon is quite the opposite of "nice" and "decent", an insufferable a-hole, and without the accompanying wit of characters like House. I see that the show's writers play coy about whether the character has Asperger's/OCD, maybe as a means of avoiding accusations that they're making fun of a mental condition, because he's definitely got something.

5. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't offend me. I find it fascinating because I know many people who are just like them in real life.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Not really.

Now the real question is do people who see sports fans potrayed as a bunch of rabid rioters when there side loses get offended?

You can pick just about any potryal of a type of person and ask do people get offended.

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I have always assumed he has Asperger's.

Sure he can be insufferable, But Amy, Leonard, Raj, Bernadette, and even Howard are basically decent, hard working people. Successful in their fields, with friends and love interests.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

A little bit yeah. Though from whenever I've watched, like and Two and Half Men, what most offends me is how popular it appears to be despite how godawful it is.
    I can't stand US shitcoms where every single line spoken by any character has to be a joke or some zippy one liner. And yet despite that no one on the show ever laughs.

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Nope, not at all. The portrayals and humor seem good-natured to me.

Jan

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it's just really unrealistic. It is a portrayal of what the mainstream thinks nerds/geeks are like.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Speaking as a nerd/geek I'd say they get a lot of it right. Does it exaggerate some elements? Of course it does. Are all people with similar interests exactly like the characters? No. Its a comedy.

If anyone should be offended, it's blonde wanna be actresses from Nebraska. ;)

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I laugh at stuff on TBBT, then I realise I'm laughing because I know what they're talking about, which a lot of people wouldn't, and I realise all over again what a big nerd I am.

Offend me? No.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nope. Speaking as a lifelong nerd, I never miss the show. It's a farce and not to be taken seriously. And, yes, I chuckle in recognition a few times.

15. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

As do I.

Just go to any science fiction convention...

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or comic book store.