Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Yminale, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember the late, great Christopher Hitchens doing something similar by defending David Irving's right to publish holocaust denial books.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

And I remember Locutus saying "What does this have to do with anything anyone is saying in the boycott or the thread, because no one is calling for his book, movie, or other writings to be made illegal?" People just think Card is an anus tart, not that he should be silenced by the government.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

4. DalekJim

Already we've seen at least one person in this thread give the uninformed view that Ender's Game is a homophobic novel. I don't think falsities like that should be perpetuated.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

You two were talking about making books illegal. NO ONE brought that up. It's a strawman argument.

6. Locutus of Bored

Okay, so correct the inaccuracies. I've got no problem with that. Ender's Game was one of my favorite novels growing up. Of course, that was before I knew the author was a tool, but still. Good book, and not homophobic like its creator.

But comparing either the boycott or what people have said in this thread with government censorship is an even bigger inaccuracy then being mistaken about the content of the novel. You can't correct inaccuracy by piling on some more.

7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The movie looks meh. I haven't read the book although I was given a copy of the book in a gift exchange and plan to read it eventually. If there are good reviews, I'll check it out.

I'm actually far more offended by the author begging people to see it despite his ignorant beliefs. "Boo hoo, people don't like me because I hate a minority and want to see them have no rights. Now that I'm on the wrong side of history, people aren't going to support me as much. Please be nicer to me than I am to those I want to see oppressed."

It's pathetic. If you're going to be a bigot, don't be a whiny one when people start calling you on.

8. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I, for one, will not be seeing the film - despite being a fan of both Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Merlin). It doesn't matter to me that Ender's Game may have been a decent book - I'm not going to use my money to support Orson Scott Card and his explicit (and thoroughly belittling) attempts to limit the rights of others, via the film's success.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

He sounds quite desperate. I've always felt that respect is something someone earns, and while I'm sure he's had respect in the past, he's said some stupid shit and gotten his bridges burnt. And yes, trying to convince people of tolerating intolerance seems like a rather odd way of winning favours. He's got some strange ideas of what constitutes fairness in the world.

10. Awesome Possum

Demanding tolerance for bigotry is a new trick that bigots are using. It doesn't work, but they are seeming to realize that they're on the wrong side of history and will soon be judged like the KKK and other idiots.

Although they don't really seem to understand what tolerance is. They're allowed to say whatever they want, they're just not free of the consequences of what they say. I'll defend their right to say any bigoted thing they want because I support free speech. But I'm free to call them an idiot for believing it and refuse to give them my money.

11. DalekJim

I don't think tolerance is a "new trick".

12. Locutus of Bored

Yeah, because that's all he said. The "Demanding tolerance for bigotry" part wasn't important there at all. I guess you've dropped the "correcting inaccuracy mode" in favor of "misrepresent what people are saying" mode completely now. Painting this as government censorship was a good start, but you have to keep the ball rolling.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the magic sky genie tells you to hate or you'll be tortured underground forever by his deformed son... You hate who he tells you to hate or it's a hot poker in each eye and then...

I feel that Satan is expected and supposed to rape the damned, but really, truly isn't it a little bit of a double standard that Lucifer is not only allowed to be gay but mandated to be a screaming queer? Unless of course that the Devil doesn't want to be an expert sodomist? That the prince of darkness being forced to undergo a series of endless gay activities is his own punishment for that nasty little coup he tried to pull on his dad?

So this is what's going through Orson's head... If I can make the gays feel miserable, maybe even get a couple of them back into the vagina business, then God will love me and I will have a wicked afterlife of eternal reward. It's a pay off for being an asshole. That doesn't seem too bad if god is on the level. You can't tell me that Willy Fucking Wonka has more dimensions than god? Beides, this is the exact same shit he pulled with Job.

Disguising the gate to hell as the easy way out.

14. Awesome Possum

Read what I actually posted, then get back to me.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I guess I'm confused.

Someone is allowed to openly bash gay folks, but I'm the bad guy because I decide not to purchase their product because I disagree... :shrug:

16. DalekJim

I did, and I disagreed with it. A bunch of liberals making a huge song and dance about not seeing a movie adaptation of a book they've never bothered to read anyway, isn't a genuine protest. It's just making a virtue of being offended.

Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

18. BillJ

Where did I say either Card should not be allowed to say what he wants? Freedom of Speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences of that speech.

19. BillJ

I don't see anyone here saying Card shouldn't be free to say or write whatever he feels like.

20. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Y'know, for a reportedly successful author, I find Card's lack of understanding of the word "tolerance" to be ... hilarious. :lol: