Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. marplanauta

marplanauta Commander Red Shirt

Re: Destiny and spoilers

Thanks all for the answers. Even though it was somehow a joke, i´ll be reading AotF before buying Destiny, just in case. All in all, maybe i´ll just wait and read everything before :D

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

And because I've never used that joke before, I thought I'd take that oppurtunity to use it!

3. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

[​IMG]

4. Brefugee

Rolf :rommie:

Um, one suspects you might have a bit too much time on your hands!

5. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Or, that I'm an exceptional multi-tasker. :D

6. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Bearing in mind that simultaneous with this, he's sending me notes for the next article he's writing for the mag, I'm going with the multi-tasker theory!!

Paul

7. haubrija

haubrija Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ Nice.

8. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cover of book 3 doesn't look like Riker at all...

9. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

On second thought, this might be a bad idea for me. I already have a propensity for talking to myself while writing. Now it'll sound like drunken slurs.

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Remember this, everyone, when you read the final paragraph of my acknowledgments in book one, Gods of Night. :)

11. David Mack

Re: Destiny: What we know - major spoilers may feature

First, my fan-applied nickname is "The Angel of Death," not "Mr. Death." (Mr. Death was my father.)

Second, your speculations are way off. I will say to you what I have said to many fans before you regarding this topic: You have no idea what I've done... :evil:

12. Brefugee

From this day forward I will refer to you as that.

13. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ok, yeah I remember now people talking about reading all off the a time to ... series before they could read Articles.

So hear is my question will i be able to understand what is going on in Destiny only having read Articles & all of the titan series??

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Some of Destiny refers back to events in the TNG novel series. But you never have to read prior books in order to understand a book; it's just basic writing practice to give the reader any information needed to follow the story.

15. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I saved the announcements about Destiny Mr. Mack posted here and maybe it is a good idea to copy and paste them into this thread:

Destiny News

Ezri Dax will hold the rank and position of captain aboard the U.S.S. Aventine. She will have attained this position in such a seemingly brief time since her switch to the command track as the consequence of a battlefield promotion.

As Keith DeCandido posted elsewhere, the ships of the Vesta class are named for the seven hills of ancient Rome. Vesta was the Roman goddess of the hearth and home. There is no direct link between the class name and the names of the ships; the theme, if any, is merely one of names related to ancient Rome. I did not name the other ships of the class, however; Keith does, in A Singular Destiny.

At the request of editor Marco Palmieri, I borrowed only selected characters from the post-TV Deep Space Nine books.

Samaritan "Sam" Bowers will come aboard the Aventine as Captain Dax's first officer. Dr. Simon Tarses will serve as her CMO. Mikaela Leishman, now a lieutenant, will transfer from the Defiant to be the Aventine's chief engineer.

We will hear mention of Shar, but won't see him. No other DS9 characters will be part of the Destiny trilogy, and the specific resolution of several ongoing DS9 storylines will in no way be revealed or spoiled by the trilogy.

We will see at the very least cameos from every other 24th-century incarnation of TrekLit in the trilogy. Ships and characters from New Frontier, Corps of Engineers, I.K.S. Gorkon/Klingon Empire, and Voyager will play their parts in the tale.

For those of you who are fans of Keith DeCandido's novel Articles of the Federation, rest assured: President Bacco and her administration will play a significant role in the trilogy (not so much in book one, but definitely in books two and three).

Yes, the Borg are in it. But this is not just another "battle with the Borg" book. If it were, I would not have spent nearly 18 months of my life working on it.

Let me put it this way, and then I'll say no more on the subject until after all three books are out: We have, up until now, never seen an actual Borg invasion.

Picard's first encounter with the Borg at System J-25? An incident. The Battle of Wolf 359? Incident. The Collective's two failed sorties against Earth (in "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2," and the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact)? Incidents.

You've never seen a bona fide Borg invasion….

This is as much detail as I'm willing to share publicly at this stage, so I'm not likely to answer any followup questions, except with maddeningly vague statements. Just FYI.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  16. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe you should change your persona on here from David Mack to.: Angel of Death or Grim Reaper. :lol:

17. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

Somebody hold me, I'm scared!:rommie:

18. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

{JAG}

It's not awkward for you, is it? :rommie:

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Actually, I didn't. Although there is a mention of a U.S.S. Esquiline. :D

20. David Mack

^ Then I was misinformed. Still, the "Seven Hills" pattern appears to have been adopted, based on the limited evidence available.