Star Trek: The Seekers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dayton has posted about the listing on his blog:

I think you're probably spot on with that.

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

David Mack has now posted about this as well on his blog.

Excerpt:

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Can anyone remember if the authors said anything about whether Reyes (and Desai) were 'done' or if there was any chance of seeing them again ?

How about Pennington and (I'm sorry but) I just can't remember what happened to Quinn.

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Don't expect to see any of them in Seekers.

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

He has a new identity and a clean chance at a new life out beyond the Federation. T'Prynn saw to it (rather than killing him as she was directed to do). I doubt we'll ever be seeing him again. He's free now.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That seems pretty definitive - I didn't really expect to.

Then again, what about in something that's not Seekers ? It just strikes me that there's a few non Starfleet characters around in the 23rd Century that might just have a story or two left in them...

7. David Mack

One never knows, but at this time I have no plans to revisit any of the Vanguard principal characters, other than the crews of the Sagittarius and the Endeavour.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

^ Fair enough. It's your corner of the sandbox after all. Please let me know if you change your mind...

I'm looking forward to Seekers anyway !

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Peter Gabriel fans never had that problem. ;)

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I lost interest when he started naming albums...

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quinn being free and clear? I'm fine with that.

Pennington getting his own adventures apart from anything else in the TOS era...might be interesting. Ditto for Nogura. Neither character need show up in the Seekers books at all.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

One thing that really interested me in The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses was the Operation Vanguard and Shedai references so have decided to give it a whirl. Turns out the first 3 Vanguard books are harder to get than the others so have bagged those first.

Will likely preorder this duo, if I get on well with the Vanguard trio. I suspect it's likely as I tend enjoy these little mini-author-verses a lot.

13. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Actually, it's trivial to get ALL of the Vanguard books. Just buy them as eBooks and you can get them no trouble at all.

14. David Mack

^ Unfortunately, because of some major weirdness in S&S's pricing algorithms (which links increases in print version costs to eBook costs for some titles), the prices of the Kindle, Apple iBook, and Nook versions of Reap the Whirlwind are all outrageously high, for no good reason. I recommend finding used copies on ABEBooks whenever possible.

15. Jedi Ben

Just can't get into that format. I spend 8 hours a day screen-reading, don't really want that for the fun stuff.

I still like holding a book! :)

16. David Mack

For those who do like eBooks, it might be possible to acquire the nook version of Reap the Whirlwind more economically via nook.com in the UK, which sells the nook version for £3.99 (roughly $6.67 USD). Also, amazon.co.uk sells the Kindle version of Reap the Whirlwind for the same price. If you sign up on those sites with a U.S. address, it might be possible to buy the eBooks from them without paying VAT, since that applies only to EU residents. (Unless these eBooks are region-restricted; anybody know anything about that?)

UPDATE: I registered an account at amazon.co.uk and it was able to sense that I was in the U.S., and as such, it won't let me buy Kindle ebooks through their site. So this advice helps my European fans, but not the Yanks or the Canucks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You can apparently get software that lets you be in any country you like for internet purposes. I've heard of it being used to register for foreign Netflix accounts and similar. I'd think it would work for ebooks too.

I don't think it's actually illegal (I'm not sure though) and I don't know what it's called, but you can probably find a download out there somewhere - other people have...

18. David Mack

I suspect the key to that would be masking one's original IP address and then having a service like TOR mask one's location. However, there might also be a second layer of verification, such as checking the billing address of one's credit cards, and banning sale to those with addresses outside the permitted region.

19. Jedi Ben

That whole business of region-locking eBooks, much like DVDs, would exasperate me if I were buying. It just offends the bargain hunter in me - what do you mean I'm not allowed to buy that at this price because I live in X?

20. Jedi Ben

By the by, for UK posters interested in this series, Book Depository are offering them at a prebuy price of £4.31 each - hard to say how much longer they will be doing that for though.

Given the RRP ends up as £6.99, it's quite a bargain. If you scan the site for advance releases, you can prebuy the books for as low as £3.84!

(I'm aware people's experience with BD varies, but I've never had any problems myself.)