Ridley Scott hires Green Lantern writer for Blade Runner 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Jun 1, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern was terrible, and I think making a sequel to Blade Runner is a huge mistake, but let's be honest here -- I'll probably go see it.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I got the impression that GL's poor quality was largely the result of studio interference, so I wouldn't be inclined to blame the writer so much for that. So, in the interest of fairness, what else has this guy written?

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He created the short-lived TV show Kings, and has a number of other TV credits, but nothing particularly interesting (or offputting).

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

First: is a Blade Runner sequel really neccessary?
    Second: THE GREEN LANTERN WRITER?!?!

Vote with your wallet, dude. If you want shit to stop, then stop paying for shit. Seriously.

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

It had four writers, and the part where the movie failed was, the producers didn't know it should have visual design. Not that the script was good, but usable it was, now whether he can make something tolerable for this seemingly trickier project, who knows. Prometheus worked just fine, even if the script wasn't good.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Awesome. Juuuuust awesome. First Lindelof on Prometheus, now this. Hopefully next film he'll work with Orci/Kurtzman. :crazy:

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Ridely Scott develops a lot of projects that he doesn't make in the end. That's true of many A-list directors, but especially true of Scott. This could well end up being another one on the pile.

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Kings was pretty fantastic.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assume he's writing it per Ridley's ideas. It would seem odd that Ridley would want to just do a sequel to Blade Runner after all this time, I'd think he had something in mind.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if it's what I think it is (a quasi modern/parallel world retelling of the biblical story of David?), I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

Everything I've heard/read about GL screams multiple re-writes and a studio not knowing how to handle what they've got, or even really understand the source material. Indeed, the upcoming 'World War Z' has a similar odor to it. Under those circumstances, a writer is just a hired gun and by no means solely responsible for the end product.

Indeed, a number of times in recent years, I've been pleasantly surprised at the high quality of certain films made by people who's writing and/or directing credits up to that point have ranged from mediocre to utterly dire. So I put less and less stock in such things when considering my expectations for a new film.

Still, given the frustrating disappointment that was Prometheus (it honestly would have been better if the dropped all links with with Alien...and got a JCB to fill in those gaping plot holes) I'm very wary of Ridley doing a sequel to Blade Runner. At least with Alien there was potential for more story telling and a compelling mystery extant in the first film (who were the space jockeys?) that was never addressed in any of the cinematic sequels or spin-offs.
    While as the excellent 1997 video game proved, there are certainly more storytelling opportunities in the world of Blade Runner, a direct sequel just doesn't feel right.

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's exactly it. It wasn't my cup of tea, but it certainly seemed like it was quality material...

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't hate Green Lantern. It had a script by committee which hurt the overall movie but it was kinda fun and had some decent ideas.

Prometheus too; some nice ideas but poorly executed.

15. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Oh, it'll end up on a pile, alright. A steaming one, if it ever gets made. :rofl:

16. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

They have a good writer and a director with a good track record.