Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello to all the new people I've missed over the last month or so.

2. desertstarlover

desertstarlover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm another one of those who joined foreverago, (2006, I think). I am back to stay - a lot seems to be going on!

I'm an old timer who was there on September 8th, 1966, in front of the TV. I have been there ever since. I love ALL things Star Trek. In fact, I raised my son on Star Trek and it's principals. He watched Star Trek from the time he was a baby until he was about 14, (he is 20 now). He rebelled and hated being a Star Trek geek for about four years - teens, right? Now, he is a Star Trek fan once again, lol!

I hope this is appropriate to do: I would like to invite anyone who is interested to join my Facebook group, "Senior Trekkies and Star Trek Friends Worldwide". You can be any age to join us! Just type in "Senior Trekkies" in the search box on Facebook to find us.:techman:

3. SJK91

SJK91 Ensign Red Shirt

Greetings, all.

I've actually already started my own thread before coming to this one...I was so excited to get started, can you blame me??

Alright, I'll start off with the facts:

- Up until one week ago, the ONLY Star Trek thing I had EVER seen was Star Trek (09) and Star Trek Into Darkness. I actually just began my exploration into the films of Star Trek and just watched TMP. I created a "Last Star Trek Movie You Watched" thread and posted my thoughts there. I was surprised there wasn't one of those already! I looked for a similar thread, but was unable to find one. If there already is one, feel free to shut mine down, mods, and redirect me. :cool:

- The only episode from any of the television series I have ever seen has been the TOS episode, "Space Seed." This was to prep myself for my viewing of The Wrath of Khan, which will be coming later this week. But as far as every other episode from TOS and every other Star Trek show - never seen any of it.

- I honestly like ST(09) and STID. Hopefully after viewing the other Star Trek films, I can really gage my appreciation for the JJ films. I know many people claim that these films are not 'true Star Trek,' and that very well may be so. But I firmly believe that they are great action/adventure films. (Don't hurt me too badly...)

As you can see, I haven't even scratched the surface of Star Trek. My journey is beginning today, and I feel I've taken a further step into what should be a exciting adventure by joining you guys.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. Kolinahr

Kolinahr Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi. I'm a newbie. I figure this is the place to ask for a little orientation and advice. Um...is there anything I should do? Go post somewhere? I already made the pledge to not spam anyone and everything.

5. kirsten187

Hello guys, welcome to the forum - the red shirts lounge is a good place to start.

6. Kolinahr

Kolinahr Lieutenant Red Shirt

It seems that this is a pretty welcoming forum. I'm glad. I tend to make mistakes when I first join, though I learn pretty fast.

7. kirsten187

It is. I'm glad that it still is. I joined over 2 and a half years ago and people were great then too.

8. OBXTrekkie

OBXTrekkie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Howdy folks, thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Melinda, my friends call me Mel. I'm a Mom of 4 (2 grown and 2 littles), writer, professional artist, beach bum and total Trekkie.

I was introduced to Star Trek TOS when I was a little kid in the mid-70s and watched it in reruns with my older brothers. My first spisode was "Spock's Brain" and I was hooked.

Over the years I've enjoyed all the shows to varying degrees, but TOS was always my fave. I love the Abrams reboot, and the new cast is doing a great job, IMO. I loved Into Darkness, inspite of a few "What...seriously?" moments, I though it was very well done and I enjoyed it from start to finish.

My love for Trek carries over into all of my hobbies in some way or the other. I currently have a Trek fic in progress at fanfiction. net, titled One Sacred Moment. My user name there is OBXTrekkie also.

I make my living creating a selling life like art dolls, and among them have a been a few baby Vulcans (one of which I still have in my personal collection) and an Andorian baby.

I'm so glad I found this forum and I'm looking forward to getting to know some more Trek lovers!

Live Long & Prosper!
    Mel

9. kirsten187

Hi Mel, welcome to TrekBBS :)

10. terpette

terpette Commander Red Shirt

Back to the BBS after a long absence. I've been a Trek fan as long as I can remember, though TNG is "my Trek". I'm a member of STARFLEET, and I run my own chapter, the USS Richthofen, based in centeral MD. And I do much other Trek stuff for STARFLEET.

I'm currently doing a DS9 watch/rewatch, and I love the Trek books (though I am woefully behind). I do not like the AbramsTrek stuff.

I attend about 4-5 cons a year. I'm also really into yarn, I'm reading the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" books for the first time, I have two cats. I'm married. And I firmly believe there's coffee in that nebula. :)

11. kirsten187

Hello and welcome back

12. Data girl

Data girl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am a recent trek fan thanks to DS9. It helped get through chemo. One of the greatest shows of all time. I even have Dukat on my phone.
    My first love is Star Wars and never thought I would like Trek. However, I have come to really like it. It is truly great.

13. kirsten187

Hi Data girl. Welcome to Trekbbs.

14. Andres

Andres Ensign Newbie

Hey my name's Andres, and i'm a huge trek fan. My "trek" is Voyager and a little bit of Deep Space Nine mainly because of the Dominion War. I stumbled upon Star Trek when my father was watching it one day and ever since i've gotten into Star Trek, i've gotten so much into it that i have read the background history to every single race in the star trek universe, i know right? So i joined TrekBBs because it's the first good star trek forum i've been able to find were i can discuss trek with other people.

15. kirsten187

Hi Andres - welcome to trekbbs :)

16. Data's Cat

Data's Cat Lieutenant Red Shirt

Happy I found this forum! Often when I'm watching Star Trek, I'm wishing I knew someone to discuss it with, and I don't know anyone.

Then I got the idea to google "star trek forum". This was the first result, and here I am!

I have ALL the Star Trek movies and all the TV series (took a while to collect them all, my budget is tight! LOL, but I kept at it until I had them all). I have pre-ordered ST:ID from Amazon and I'm supposed to receive it Sep 10.

I seldom watch TV but I watch stuff from my DVD collection, and I watch at least one episode of ST almost every day.

My username for this forum is Data's Cat, but just call me Spot for short. :D

17. kirsten187

Hi Spot - your name makes me laugh and think of Data's poem "Ode To Spot".

18. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

All I can say is that I have been a trek fan for over 10 years, I have seen all the movies and episodes that many times that I know all the lines by memory i have only now started to conventions(we don't get many here in Australia).

19. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am CaptainBearclaw. I am 13 years old and a huge Star Trek fan.

I love the original series. Not even for its campiness, it's just really good television. I love the movies, my favorite of course being TWOK. I still haven't watched the spin-offs, but I like what I've seen of TNG.

I collect a lot of Star Trek memorabilia. I'm quite convinced I actually own an original TOS tricorder. I collect comics, toys, Lincoln Enterprises scripts, and pretty much everything else. It's a hobby, and a good way to waste allowance.

20. kirsten187

Mr Pointy Ears - I've been watching Star Trek since 1996 but never been to a convention.

CaptainBearclaw - welcome to TrekBBS.