Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 22, 2013.

?

borg for Trek 3

1. yes.

20.7%
  2. no.

70.7%
  3. save them for ST 4 (if there is one)

8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure it is gonna be the Doomsday machine.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

No. No no no no no no no. Good god no!

3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

yes, maybe they could use that to defeat the borg!

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    What a novel idea. :)

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Fixed that for you.

6. Bry_Sinclair

He would also disapprove :)

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Shouldn't that be "Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na... Batman!"

:)

8. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No more Borg. Let's go with something original in the next movie. I'm still hoping for some kind of alien antagonist that's not humanoid or even bipedal. Something like Tholians or Species 8472 but not exactly those races.

9. teacake

The Borg Queen assimilates KHAN!!

10. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything can be done to death, as many have put it. A lot of the inherent strengths of The Borg as an adversary were washed away over the years. The Borg however did have an impact in their heyday and I believe they've laid fallow for long enough - at least long enough to forget about the Borg Queen conversing with her drones, Unimatrix Zero and transphasic torpedoes.

However, strip them back to their original concept and - with a significant enough budget to fully realise what an horrific force of nature they can be - I'm in. At their best, The Borg are a fantastic adversary - regardless of which Captain is in the chair.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The original concept has no chance with these authors. If you complain about the introduction of the Borg Queen, you surely will not want to see what Orci & Co come up with.

12. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The original concept of the borg was inherently limited - with them, you can only do a battlestar galactica story (defeat after defeat with no happy ending - depressing/boring) or you can show them being defeated AKA having significant chinks in their armour.

And if you want to use the borg as more than a monolithic/simplistic antagonist fit for only a few horror-themed episodes, you will have to explore what makes the borg tick and how they tick - meaning, you will have to lose their hitchcockian unknowability.

13. teacake

I want to see Uhura assimilated, MADE INTO THE QUEEN and Spock with a broken, shattered heart. And maybe he has to go after her. And, like, choose. I want FANFIC baby on screen with lensfare kthxbye.

14. Bry_Sinclair

It would be one way of getting rid of NuUhura I suppose :)

15. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Regrettably, I agree.

16. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

With the current marketability of everything zombies, the Borg actually wouldn't surprise me a bit.

They could easily make a story that connects the nuTrek crew to the Borg. Find a stable wormhole to the DQ that allows interaction and travel...and then destroy it in the end. Done. They could make a lot of money too with the Borg already being a known commodity in pop culture. And again, the zombie angle could make them a killing.

But I'd much rather see a Doomsday Machine story with some Klingons mixed in. It would combine an excellent (and big!) sci-fi Trek concept with the well-established JJ-villain they've already laid the foundation for developing.

17. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Or, for The Vicar of Dibbley fans: No. No no no no no no no. Yes. :D

18. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

They do have a Doomsday machine that goes after the Borg in the novel Vendetta by Peter David. Just replace the TNG crew with the TOS crew

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Don't even need the DQ Borg. Just have some more left overs from the First Contact invasion (see: Enterprise), or human created Borg that result from a medical experiment gone wrong--if you want to push the Zombie angle.

20. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. The Borg are TNGs biggest Ace in the hole, they are its best chance for at least one rebooted big screen outing. Hell, done correctly they may squeeze a trilogy out of them alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.