Peter David suffers a stroke

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by the G-man, Dec 30, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Peter David suffers a stroke while on vacation: “We were on vacation in Florida when I lost control of the right side of my body,” David wrote. “I cannot see properly and I cannot move my right arm or leg. We are currently getting the extent of the damage sorted out and will report as further details become clarified.”

One of the best comic book writers of the past thirty years. Best wishes for a full recovery.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy crap! I hope he's okay!

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What are some of his titles?

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Among the highlights, a long and memorable run on THE INCREDIBLE HULK, as well as fondly-remembered stints on SUPERGIRL, X-FACTOR, and many other series.

Peter is also one of the most popular (probably the most popular) Star Trek authors out there.

Here's hoping he recovers soon.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope he recovers.

Incredible Hulk, Young Justice and Aquaman.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I've exchanged a few emails with him and I've met him at conventions. He's extremely nice and loves to talk about anything nerd related. I'm very upset to see this and hope he's able to make a full recovery.

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, best wishes. :(

I mainly know him through his Trek novel work, especially the New Frontier books, which are among my all-time favorites.

8. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Sad news. Wishing a speedy recovery

9. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Same here. I've talked to him a few times too, and he's always been a favorite.

10. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i hope hes a southpaw thatll make his recovery and therapy much easierI know I'd have been screwed if id lost the rightside and not my left but it takes a lot of work and want toand it depends on the extent of the damage

11. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

A post from Harlan Ellison with a bit more detail:

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never knew that he and Ellison were friends. of course I never knew that Ellison had any friends.

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Man, that sucks. My mom had a minor stroke back in the 80s, had to quit her job as a teacher because she couldn't write with her right hand anymore. But at least, she's still alive and well today, so I hope it will be like that with Mr. David.

If not, let's honor his spirit and take terrible vengeance on Disneyworld.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sad news, I hope he recovers. I don't know him from Comics or ST Novels, since I don't read them, but, he wrote The Babylon 5 Centauri Trilogy of Novels, which are an excellent addition to the B5 Universe

15. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

He's a very nice man and can be extraordinarily generous.

Jan

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Don't forget his runs on two different DC incarnations of Star Trek. Including probably the best Trek comic to date, Once a Hero... :techman:

17. Irvy

Irvy Commander Red Shirt

I have loved Peter David's Trek novels for years, and engaged with him on a Star Trek forum years ago, and he's always been one of my favourite Trek writers.

I worked with a few people recovering from a stroke early in my career as a care worker, and each of them told me the same thing; the Doctors can only do so much, because ultimately, it's your own determination that will beat the stroke, and not medicines.

My thoughts are with Mr David and his family and friends around him, and wish them every strength in the days ahead, and a speedy and triumphant recovery.

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I fear this may come off as wrong, to some people coming into the thread saying, "Who's Peter David," so just know that I'm not intending to be mean or condescending when I say, whether or not you were aware of it, if you are a fan of sci-fi, especially from the late 80's onward, you've come across Peter David in some shape or form.

As has been stated, as a comic writer, Peter David did legendary runs on:

• The Incredible Hulk
    • Aquaman
    • Supergirl
    • Spider-Man
    • Spider-Man: 2099
    • Young Justice
    • Star Trek
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    • X-Factor

He's also written the Spike and Spike vs. Dracula comics based on the character from the Whedonverse, and he wrote the dialogue on The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born comic, as well as scripted the subsequent Dark Tower comic based off of Stephen King's novels.

As well as a ton of other books, which are easily found on his Wikipedia Bibliography Page

He's also written a number of Star Trek novels, two of which (Imzadi and The Captain's Daughter), were recently featured on i09's list of Essential Star Trek Novels that even non-Trekkies Should Read. He even had his own Trek Novel series, New Frontier, where, as in his Trek comic days, he took little known and/or one-off characters and integrated them into his cast (such as Commander Shelby from "The Best of Both Worlds," Dr. Selar from "The Schizoid Man," Robin Lefler from "Darmok" and "The Game," etc.)

He's also written a number of movie novelizations for such movies as The Rocketeer, Batman Forever, The Fantastic Four, Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Iron Man, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and Battleship.

Fans of Babylon 5 (such as myself) known him from "Soul Mates," and "There All Honor Lies", as well as his trilogy of novels set on Centauri Prime that, among other things show what happened on Centauri Prime during "War Without End." In addition, he wrote the novelizations of the TNT movies In the Beginning and Thirdspace. He also wrote "Ruling from the Tomb" for Crusade.

He collaborated with B5 cast member, Bill Mumy, on the Nickelodeon sci-fi show, Space Cases. Alone, he wrote the "In Charm's Way" episode of Ben 10: Alien Force, as well as several episodes of the Young Justice cartoon (which took its name from his comic book series, though not the tone).

In video games he wrote Spider-Man: The Edge of Time and Shadow Complex, as well as the novelization for Epic Mickey, as well as a prequel digicomic for that game.

He wrote Headcases for Stan Lee's You Tube channel, but I don't think it has premiered yet.

And I'm barely scratching the surface here. Honestly, and again, I don't want to come off wrong here, but if you're not familiar with Peter David's work, I think it's time you should look into it, if, as I said before, you haven't come across it unknowingly.

As for the man himself, I wish him a speedy recovery, and good health in 2013 and beyond. He's given me so much in terms of entertainment, it's sad we really can't give much in return right now except our thoughts, wishes, and prayers.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

His friends are people he's only sued once.

Seriously though, those kind of guys are usually the type that will stand by their friends at the end.

20. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore