Happy Birthday, Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by GSchnitzer, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Only turning 30 really bothered me. I'm 51 now and didn't really think anything about either 40 or 50.

2. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I know that feeling. I have seizures and emphysema. Not pleasant at all.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'll save it for the 50th at this point. "She Loves You" turned 50 a couple of weeks ago, we're getting there....

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have hypothyroidism and Costochondritis an inflammation of the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the breastbone. At times it is very painful and I have to limit my activities. If it gets too painful it becomes difficult to breathe. For most people, it goes away in six months to a year; however, for some people, like myself, it remains a chronic condition. I have had this condition for 3 years.

I sound like an old lady! :lol:

5. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

[​IMG]

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

True, although I didn't learn that until a couple of years after I started watching. I was seven when TOS debuted and I didn't know about it then. At the time I was watching Batman, The Adventures Of Superman reruns (on The Commander Tom Show), Space Ghost, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Time Tunnel and Lost In Space. I found Star Trek and UFO when I was 11 in 1970 and it was like a light came on and a lot of stuff I watched before then seemed...disappointing.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I got you both beat. I have cerebral palsy and my mom was told I wouldn't live to see 10. I turned 43 this year. Between that, and other health problems (plus the onset of middle age), I'll be lucky to see 60.

Wait, I thought this was a discussion about Star Trek. When did it turn into a "getting old" thread?

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy birthday, Star Trek! Eagerly awaiting the next adventure in 2016.:bolian:

9. Gojira

I wish you good health!!

With a show pushing 50 its fan base is also aging.

Interesting thought is will the original series still have fans in 20-30 years when the show is 70-80 years old and the majority of its fan base is gone?

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The original series is a television classic. It will still have fans in 20-30 years, just like I Love Lucy and The Twilight Zone still have fans. The fan base will certainly be smaller, though, there's no way around that.

11. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I just think it's amazing that almost 50 years after the first broadcast we still talk about Star Trek and that we still discover new things about it.

And if there should be any doubt, it proves that good stories and good characters are the ingredients to make a timeless classic but most assuredly not special effects. :)

Bob

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well said. If it had been just f/x then the gloss and polish would have faded long ago. There's definitely something about a show that can still speak to successive generations decades later.

13. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Happy Birthday Star Trek!!!

It's been a fun ride and I will be enjoying "The Man Trap" tonight in celebration (I don't have a clue how many times I have seen this and every other episodes but easily in the 100's of times and I still love them all).

14. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I will be celebrate by watching "The Man Trap" at 8:30 p.m.

15. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Not to derail the thread, but is this clip from The Immunity Syndrome?

I don't think that anyone is going to be discussing How I Met Your Mother or Dharma and Greg fifty years from now.

Shatner will probably still be working, though.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've been celebrating by watching "Mirror, Mirror" a few times this weekend.

Nearly fifty years... some of you will be able to mesmerize your great-grandchildren with stories about how we had to watch Star Trek by candlelight because there was no electricity back then. And they'll believe you.

17. The Old Mixer

I miss the days when Star Trek was inscribed in stone tablets. That newfangled video ruined the show, IMO.

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Roddenberry bringing down those tablets from El Capitan is a day that will be long remembered.

19. The Old Mixer

True believers know that it was Mt. Selaya....

20. Gojira

I have been going through all three seasons in celebration.

While I love all the other series and movies I must confess that I miss the times when the original series was simply known as Star Trek.