Welcome to Ouya

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kelthaz, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And another player enters the video game console industry. Ouya is a cheap ($99) video game console running on Android's Ice Cream Sandwich OS that gives independent (and a few professional developers like Namco and Square) a dedicated console for games. Ouya just finished a Kickstarter campaign that raised $8.5 million dollars, so there's definitely interest in it. The console is due to be released in April 2013.
    I'm not entirely convinced, but this could be a fantastic way for independent games to finally hit the mainstream. I'm cautiously optimistic. Check them out here.

2. timmy84

timmy84 Commodore Commodore

I'm wondering about if this will be any good. I get the premise, and I guess all the games are supposed to be freemium games, but are they gonna get original games or is it just gonna be a bunch of cell phone and tablet games adapted to a controller.

:borg:

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It just sounds like they are going to use an existing free platform so they don't have to develop one from scratch, which seems like a good idea to me.

Given that most phone/tablet games rely on touchscreens, I'm not sure how well you could adapt them to a controller. I would expect mostly new games, perhaps ports of (for instance) indie PC games.

It's really going to depend on what APIs they choose to be compatible with.

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if Namco Bandai's support will pay off in Ouya getting some ports of PSP games sold in Japan, because I honestly don't know why they'd be so willing to support a new console so early in the game. I see why their interested in it, because it would be cheap to develop for compared to HD consoles, but what they're bringing to the table is still vague, even if they're willing to listen to fan input on titles to bring to the Ouya.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ouya is now available for pre-order on Amazon for $99.

Well, it's actually happening. I have to admit that I had my doubts. I'm not sure if I'll get one, but I am very curious to see how this competes with the upcoming generation. Obviously it's not going to outsell the PS4, but will it carve out a niche for itself with quality games like Super Meat Boy and Minecraft or will it get buried by endless shovelware?

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there a documentary made about this thing some time ago, or am I thinking of something else?

In any case, it's a new console I might actually consider buying.

7. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish Apple would get over themselves and make a controller for iOS games and make them playable with Apple TV. I'm an iPhone guy and it would be cool to get to play a game on the go, come home and continue to play on the TV. Ouyaa mkes this possible for Android users.

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Er, not quite. (Unfortunately.) From their FAQ:

Can I play my OUYA games on my other Android devices?
    Not at this time.

Can I play Android games purchased from Google Play on OUYA?
    No.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no memory of ever playing video games in the living room.