Casting Superman?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jul 2, 2010.

?

Who Do You Want To Play Superman?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2010.
  1. Matthew Bomer

10.4%
  2. Henry Cavill

8.3%
  3. Chace Crawford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Christian Howard

1.0%
  5. John Barrowman

4.2%
  6. Jon Hamm

13.5%
  7. Brandon Routh

46.9%
  8. Tom Welling

14.6%
  9. Other.

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

You assume I thought he was a good Superman physically. I don't. The only decent thing about the original movie was everything that occurred before he showed up on the screen (ie, his childhood).

2. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

:guffaw: One day I would like to see someone with an actual comic book physique play a superhero in a movie. Unfortunately, most people who fit that description can't act...except Arnold Schwarzenegger of course. ;)

I would also like to see someone doing some of the amazing acrobatics Superman and Batman have done in the comics and cartoons...definitely not enough of that in live action movies. I thought someone doing a review of a Parkour-heavy movie made a good point in suggesting, "this is what Batman should be doing in his movies" (jumping from rooftop to rooftop and such).

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ What about all the crazy stunts George Clooney did in Batman & Robin? :p

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

And how much do you actually need to play Superman? Yes you want him to be toned and fit and pretty beefy but he's Super-powered, he's not able to throw cars in the air because he's a steroids freak.

5. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Physiques in comics have become totally freakish. The average drawing of a male superhero by Jim Lee has a thigh as big around as my waist. It's all just moved into the realm of stupid.

6. Jon Hamm should be Superman.

He has the chiseled face that people seem to want to see, he is a very good actor, and also pulls off the trenchcoat/hat Clark Kent look very well (haven't seen him with glasses though). He really seems to have the look of the alex ross superman.

Alas, WB probably wants someone younger to make a franchise with. Of course that kind of thinking got us the really uninspiring Kate Bosworth and Routh.

7. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep hearing about this John Hamm. Isn't he the guy who played this totally extraneous character in Boston Legal for a while? They brought him in, he had nothing to do, and he eventually left?

Guy had no personality at all, if it is him.

8. Aragorn

^ You're thinking of Craig Bierko.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Schwarzenegger could act? ;)

Well, he has demonstrated a flair for comedy. But it was his larger-than-life screen presence that made him a genre icon, not his mastery of nuanced emotional expression.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Bring back Routh.

11. Aragorn

Screw it. Ryan Reynolds for Superman. It'll make the Justice League movie even cheaper.

12. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I wasn't totally serious about that (hence the wink), but I don't think he's completely useless as an actor. He doesn't seem able to handle any heavy drama, but given certain constraints, he can be perfect in some roles.

"Terminator 2" for example, where he plays a usually serious character, but is kept mostly monosyllabic, and of course, every action movie he's done (including that one) where he's required to do that cutesy, one-liner action hero comedy.

You're right, his range seems extremely limited when it comes to emotional expression, that's why it was such a fiasco having him play Mr. Freeze in "Batman & Robin" and expecting him to be able to convey the poignancy of that character's backstory from "Batman: the Animated Series".

Regarding Jon Hamm as Superman, I agree that he has the look, and by all accounts seems capable acting-wise (I've never seen "Mad Men"), but let's be realistic and consider what the producers need/want - they're looking to start a franchise here. I think ultimately he'd be considered too old. They need someone in the 20s or at the most 30s to star in Superman movies every few years for an extended period. Part of why Bale's casting was ideal for Batman was because he was only about 30 when he was cast.

13. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Arnold turned in a fairly decent emotional performance in End of Days.
    I mean, for him.

14. omgahitsbritt08

omgahitsbritt08 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Okay, I voted. As long as the film is good, the actor who plays Superman will be too. Cough- Hopefully- cough- =]

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Well, not quite "ruled out..."

It sounds like he just doesn't think they would want him for the role (due to age issues). Personally, I think they need an older Superman, but I agree that it might be difficult to convince Hollywood executives to avoid casting some guy in his mid-twenties.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Hamm seems open to the idea...if it comes his way.

Joe Manganiello would be great...I wish I would have heard about him before I created this thread.