The good things thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Terrific news, StarMan--congrats!! :techman:

Wow, great going -- what're you going to do with all the time on your hands? ;) Let's just hope the government stays true to form and keeps those checks rolling in. :bolian:

Ah, the good things. How about food?
    * A red pear, perfectly ripe and chilled from the refrigerator... best sweetness a tree fruit can give.
    * Avocados when they're becoming soft... slice open and eat as-is. The creamy taste--divine.
    * An egg cooked just enough so that the yolk is no longer runny but still kinda gooey. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, with a touch of paprika, then eat. So delicious.
    * Fresh baked bread with crispy crust, sliced up hot and then butter spread over that quickly melts. Ahhhhhh....

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Congratulations! It's 18 years for me. (retirement age over here is 67)

3. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Congratulations in 2 days (I think it's 1 day now, yes?)!

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does this count?

Hubby and I were visiting my Mom, 250 miles from our house, when at 11 pm, we got a call from our alarm company that our front door alarm was triggered!! Immediately wide awake and pacing, I was on the phone with the alarm company, our local police, the alarm company again, another part of the alarm company, etc. Hubby was calling his family to get them over to our house and see if anything was wrong, as various family members live within 2 miles of our house.

We were both livid, worried about our house, etc. His brothers waited a bit, then entered--after I gave the alarm company their descriptions so the cops wouldn't shoot them. I didn't need to worry about that--the cops never did show up since this was "only" a house. But the brothers were able to confirm that the alarm glitched--THAT'S THE "GOOD NEWS"--and our house was untouched. Our big iMac and its backup were still in place, and all the cels I call my husband's "Animation Museum" were still on the walls. Everything else could be replaced, but the cels are one-of-a-kind and all our photos are on the iMac and backup.

Then Hubby was pissed at the alarm company, took my phone and started yelling at them. At which point I took the phone back and (relatively) calmly told the employee that this was why I handle such things.

So, it was good news, right? At least imo. Our house was safe and his brothers were reliable and (imo) brave to go into the house, unsure if it was empty or not.

5. rhubarbodendron

that counts absolutely!! Anything good counts! :)
    Congratulations at not having been burglared and at having such nice relatives.

My good thing for the day: the weather is decent (cold but sunny), the birds sing, I went on a 2 hour walk this morning and sniffed the first apple blossoms (bestest scent in all the world!!), rescued a little snake from a dog (only to get pissed on by the snake and licked by the dog LOL) and I bought 3 little crotcheded balls at the fairtrade shop yesterday which I'll use to learn juggling =)
    And I'm sipping the 3rd cup of peppermint tea, made from my own peppermint that I grow in a bucket on my terrace =)
    Now, if I got rid of my headache and if lovely Peter Wingfield would ask me to marry him it'd be the perfect day! :D

6. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

new computer (does happy dance, shoots all witnesses of happy dance >.>) so, here's a desktop screenshot

[​IMG]

7. rhubarbodendron

reminds me a bit of the paintings by Sulamith Wülfing!
    [​IMG]

8. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Yay! I'm retired now and it's great! Relief from all that stress and I get to spend more time with my granddaughter!

9. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Here is a good thing. Every tiny discovery is worthwhile!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNdot9X6BAA[/yt]

10. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Well, I found out it seems I don't have pancreatic cancer (as I thought I might), that's a good thing. :)

11. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Not bad at all :techman:

I've been chatting online with a very lovely girl who I have a lot in common with. We both have a love of Diners and terrible B-pictures. The moment she told me of her admiration for Charles Bronson my heart skipped a beat and I knew I was in love. I now have our first date set for next weekend. We will be heading downtown to see Casablanca at the Alamo Drafthouse. With this kind of film selection on that day, I think this date is fated to succeed. :)

12. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

A very good thing!

13. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A good thing:

I went to the dermatologist for the first time (since I'm turning 50, it's like a 50 thousand mile checkup, you know?), a preliminary appointment before scheduling the look-see. My father had three kinds of skin cancer and I'm fairer eyed and hair. The doctor asked if I had anything unusual she should look at right then. I said my husband said a mole on my back had increased in size. She looked at it, said it was an "ugly duckling," that it was significantly different from all my freckles and other moles, and offered to scrape and biopsy it becuase it was so odd.

Fortunately, no cancer. I'm going to assume the look-see will have the same result.

14. Tora Ziyal

^ No cancer is definitely a good thing!

I just had a skin cancer screening last week. All clear. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. I'm surprised you're having a separate preliminary app't before the screening.

15. rhubarbodendron

Propita, I know exactly how you feel - my aunt died from skin cancer, 3 years ago and when I happened to discover a rather dark mole on my back last week I immediately had my GP check it. Fortunately, mine was harmless too. Apparently, when we get older, new moles get darker and bigger than our childhood ones.
    Luckily, my insurance pays for a complete skin checkup once a year.
    Congrats at having such a vigilant hubby! He deserves a candlelight dinner and a long night ;)

Kirkman, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your date! Casablanca is a cool choice. Last time I saw a movie with a guy it was the Muppets Christmas Carol... Ahem - yes, it's been a while...

{{{{{Australis}}}}} Congratulations, old man!! One worry off your list. Now grab a few buddies, go out and celebrate!

Velocity, enjoy your newly won freedom! I'm so envious!

TSQ, that's a totally cool video! I've always liked experimenting with new food and think it's very important to offer children a wide choice so that they don't start to for examply refuse all kinds of veggies but learn that there are some really tasty ones as well.

16. Tora Ziyal

Rhubarb just reminded me... The dermatologist did express a bit of concern about a mole on my rear, not because it looks problematic, but because I can't monitor it myself (and I, too, have a family hx of melanoma). When I told my ex-husband, he snickered and asked if I'd told the guy it's been there for at least 40 years. Oh! :lol: