7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

55.2%
  2. Good

32.8%
  3. Average

8.6%
  4. Save us!

2.3%
  5. Exterminate!!

1.1%
  1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Skaro also appeared in the officially in-continuity computer game 'City Of The Daleks'.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Like I say, Skaro is in fact described as not actually completely gone in Remembrance itself, *after* the Hand of Omega does its stuff! It's then the first thing we see in the 1996 TVM, and in the Time War it's a fleet that's supposedly "all the Daleks in existence" that gets burned, not a planet...

3. beneldon

beneldon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't like Amy and Rory divorcing. It was terrible and made me cringe at what else may be stupidly wrong with the episode.

The eyestalks coming out of the people was really cool and when they came out of the dead crew they were fantastic! I felt like a kid again!

I had kept myself spoiler free for the entire seventh season as I only recently got BBCA back in my home and thus had no idea about who would be joining the cast as the new companion or that there was a big twist or anything so it was of great satisfaction to read in this thread that Jenna would be back as a companion because watching the show I was quite pleased with Souffle Girl as she is incredibly scrumptious. I definitely stopped feeling like a kid again

So, without the foreknowledge that she would be back, When Oswin said "remember me" (my first thought was at least Spock had the decency to not break the forth wall) I thought, Oh! Thank God! More scrumptiousness! I also figured that since she had sort of suddenly came up with the idea to erase the Doctor from the Dalek's memory-base or whatever -her being a genius and all - that she realized she was a Dalek and perhaps accessed the "Tem Por Al Shift" and escaped the bombardment to eggs stir minute another day! Yaaaaaay!

Oh, and Amy and Rory made up. yay.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The events in the movie follow linearly for us after Rememberance and that's always been the case for the Doctor and the Daleks. But then I thought it was odd that the Daleks would agree with the Master request without trying to kill the Doctor when he came to collect the Master's remains.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Is Amy unaware of adoption or surrogates? There's also the option of asking the Doctor for a technological solution.

6. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Are we even sure Amy can't have children? And if so when that happened? Is it a result of River's birth or of some other event in her travels (Giving her a Time Womb?)

If it hasn't been talked through, can we be sure their childlessness isn't down to Rory? After all, he was plastic (maybe some bits still are!) And going without for 2000 years might do something to a guy's sperm count.

Without talking it through and having proper tests nothing is certain, except that they'll leave the series in ep 5 because Amy is pregnant.

7. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Amy specifically said that she couldn't have children due to "whatever they did to [her] at Demon's Run." That plus the fact that they both knew she couldn't have kids and that she was willing to give Rory up (implying that he could produce kids) makes me think the problem is all on her end.

And I agree with the earlier comments - Amy probably didn't think about surrogacy or adoption because she is not the thinker. She runs away from her problems.

8. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Yes, but as you point out, Amy is not a thinker. She had a child at Demon's run, so assumes she was not infertile before. She has failed to conceive since, so assumes that 'whatever happened' there rendered her infertile. She doesn't actually know what it was - and there's no evidence she's had fertility tests. Heavens knows what they might show if it is alien-induced infertility anyway.

They both know she hasn't conceived, but it seems to be news to Rory that she is divorcing him because of that. Which suggests they have talked very little about it, other than Rory indicating that children are important to him - which fits with his character from the very begining.

And it fits with Amy's personality to assume it's all about her, and not a problem for Rory, anyway.

9. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Rory's soft "I know" to Amy's declaration of not being able to have kids suggests to me they did get tested to see what the problem was. He is a nurse, after all. As you say, there's no definitive evidence, but it's just what I interpreted.

10. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Karen can act about as well as January Jones. Trained or not, most of what she does is pose.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they'd argued over it for a while so it's really nothing new between them. But there are options and Amy didn't seem to mention them or Rory either for that matter.

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well obviously having not seen any of it, not even having had them tell us any of it, all you can go on is how you interpret the scene. But that "I know" could mean he's agreeing that he always wanted kids and knows that she thinks she can't have kids. Doesn't mean they've had tests or that it's anything more than they haven't conceived yet so believe they can't have kids.

There's a lot they could do, and Rory is oblivious to the fact she left him for that reason, so it seems obvious they haven't discussed that part of it. Besides they have a super advanced alien who may have been able to help if they mentioned it, even if hospitals couldn't help. It's just another Amy being selfish moment disguised as her being caring.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

This I'd agree with.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the overnight figures for "Asylum..." on the Beeb are in and it's 6.4m with a 29.3% audience share.

But DW usually gets a healthy ratings boost from people who recorded to watch later. So we'll have to wait another week or so for the final figure to come out, but it should be around the 7.7-8.2m mark

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Truth be told, we can't even be positive she's incapable of having kids. She said she can't have them, not that she's incapable. This could mean that she's afraid she might produce another Time Head or that Aliens might come after their next baby as well. [/Devil's Advocate]

Obviously, we are meant to believe she is incapable of having kids, but, they could turn it around on us, if they choose.

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I think it's safe to say the church wanted to make sure she couldn't produce anymore children like River, so made her sterile in fashion.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Does the Daleks not have access to the intergalactic internet? Wouldn't they wonder who this Doctor chap was that many cultures have records of fighting the Daleks but they can't remember?

18. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That goes on the slippery slope that also contains questions like, "Given how much they know about him wouldn't The Silence keep an eye out to make sure the Doctor is really dead and hasn't just tricked them."

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we have to wait until the next Dalek appearance before making any judgments there. It makes sense that they might not be able to ascertain who he is in those five seconds but who knows what they'll figrue out by next time?

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

With the Doctor erased from Dalek history, who is in their records as ending the Time War...?