Do you like ds9

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tcsfan, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Tcsfan

Tcsfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I never really liked it but you know I might be wrong about it .I only wached one episod. Isaid the same thing about voy but then I got in to it ,and if you like it what is a good episod for me to wach.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

In order for us board members to help you, we'll need a little more information in order to pick hopefully a suitable episode.

What types of episodes do you like, story wise?
    You mention VOY do you have a particualr episode you would rate as your favourite?

3. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You might be wrong? Well, if you're judging 170-odd episodes of TV by one episode, the chances are you might be, yes. ;)

"...the best acted, written, produced and altogether finest [Star Trek series]." - TV Guide. I'm inclined to agree.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

It would also be helpful if you could use punctuation in your posts, Tcsfan. ;) It would make them a lot easier to read and more likely that people will respond positively to them.

5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I had a phaser to my head and had to pick only one episode for you to try, I'd pick "The Way of the Warrior".

6. Tcsfan

Tcsfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wach st on Netflix so i can wach any episod oh and I like episods with the doctors in thim is there any goods one like that

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, DS9 is the best of the Trek shows. I could make a long, lengthy, essay-like post of why (and trust, some people on this forum will), but I don't see the point.
    I love DS9 for my own reasons, and some hate it for their own reasons.

If you want to know if the show is any good, watch it. Form your own opinion, like you did with VOY. Who knows, maybe DS9 will become your favorite tv-show ever. Maybe you'll hate it more then anything. But you'll have atleast come to that conclusion by yourself. Something people don't do that much anymore.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Good show but not the 'end all, be all' of Trek some around here make it out to be...

Some episode to try...

Duet
    Captive Pursuit
    Homefront/Paradise Lost
    The Seige of AR-558

9. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The episode call to arms is one of my favorites though you might need to see more before you watch it. :)

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

From what I recall from similiar DSN threads, about not getting into it when it first aired etc.. Is that now they are more mature/older than when it first aired, so perhaps they can appreciate it on a level they couldn't when they were younger.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It's hard to get into especially if you start from the premiere Emmisary as most season one episodes aren't that great. Season two starts well and ends well but sags in the middle. Season three is where the show really takes off. Watch episodes like Emmisary, Duet, In The Name of the Prophets, the first three episodes of season 2, Crossover, Necessary Evil, the season 2 finale and there's others but i'm blanking on names right now.

12. Seven

Seven Cadet Newbie

I think the first episode was one of the best first episodes of any ST Series.

13. Seven

Seven Cadet Newbie

In fact I only recently got into DS9 but from what I've heard and seen, there's a lot more space battle scenarios which is a plus I suppose. Is that true?

14. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, but there's so much more to it than that.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

First, yes, I like DS9. A lot. Start at the very beginning with "Emissary" and keep going from there. You will need to watch a few episodes to get to learn about everybody - but it is worth it. I think you will become a fan too. Read the books as well. Have fun.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I didn't like the show at first. It was Progress (Ep 14) that really showed it's promise.

DS9 is the shining jewel in the crown of modern Star Trek - head and shoulders better than TNG and not even in the same ball park as Voyager...

Start at the beginning, tough it out through the first couple of seasons (there is still some good stuff) and then just enjoy....I am jealous of you !

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

To answer the thread title: Yes I do.

To answer the actual question: ask that of ten different people and you will get ten different answers, all convinced they are right. Start from the beginning, watch everything, and decide for yourself. You won't be sorry.

One word of warning: Several people who later worked on that insult to both science fiction and television known as Battlestar Galactica, worked on DS9, but not to worry, here, they had Rick Berman and Ira Steven Behr controlling them, so things didn't get that bad.

Thankfully.

18. Sysyphyx

Sysyphyx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Trying to get into it now but finding it a little harder to dig than most other Trek. l think it might mostly be due to Avery Brooks' horribly inane acting, but the show itself has that sort of dirty, grimy feel that is sort of hard to get past, for me anyway. l usually like a darker tone with some things, but l'm just not sure it ever fit with Star Trek very well. Probably my least favorite series.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not putting it on too high of a pedestal there, are you? :rolleyes:

DS9 is much like every other Trek, including TOS. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's really bad. And a large chunk of it is mediocre.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Like most of the latter-day Trek shows, the first season is a little rocky, but the show keeps getting better and better. You got a large, colorful cast of regulars and recurring characters that gets richer and deeper as the show goes on. It also becomes more and more serialized over the years, so that it eventually becomes a big, complicated, fascinating saga.

"Duet," in the first season, is possibly the first classic episode, although the show really hits its stride once the Dominion War arc kicks in a few seasons later.

There are also some great standalone, novelty episodes like "Trials and Tribble-ations," "Beyond the Stars," and "Little Green Men."