Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ro_Laren, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I was only joking.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hope so. Your own fault for clicking on a thread about the episode if you haven't watched it. :p

3. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

When COT aired, they hadn't mentioned Klingons and Trills not being able to reproduce yet, so I remember wondering they very same thing as the OP. After "Tears..." it became retroactively implied that since Worf and Jadzia can't have kids the old-fashioned way, their Gaian offspring must have been through some other genetic combination, even though we know they were married.

I definitely agree that there is no way in the world Worf becomes open-minded enough to just let Jadzia go off and do the deed with some other guy even if Bashir tells them its necessary to keep the gene pool varied. I'm guessing that Bashir would have come up with a way to do some artificial inseminations (which doesn't take much technology at all) without forcing people into physical couplings. And even then I imagine Worf putting up a fuss.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

I still say circumstances can change attitudes. Once they realized where and, more importantly, when they were, things would have to change.

Even Miles, a happily married family man, wound up addin' his genetics to the pool!

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

This. We're talking about the same guy who only a few months earlier, helped sabotage Risa's weather control system in a fit of jealousy because he saw Jadzia sculpting with another man.

6. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think that at the time COT aired, this was a plot hole. It had not yet been established that Trill and Klingons can't have kids (easily) so all we know is that the two get married and yada yada they have descendants. The implication is therefore that their descendants come from their marriage so anyone on Gaia with Trill DNA would have equal parts Klingon and vice versa since that was the original combination. IF there were another Trill or Klingon in the crew then through subsequent matings with those descendants there could be some strengthening of one genome over another. Like, if Worf and Dax had two kids, one married a Trill and the other marries a Klingon then the two species would diverge. And though there is a possibility of there being another Trill, we know Worf was the only Klingon.

7. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    COT falls down when scrutinized, but I like the episode, anyway.

Regarding the survival of the Dax symbiont, there may have been a male Trill on the Defiant when it crashed. He and Jadzia could have started a full-blooded Trill line specifically for the safe future transfer of Dax.

Of course at some point there would have been some in-breeding but that's something I'd rather not think about so soon after lunch.

It's a safe bet that Worf was the only Klingon aboard, so all of the ridged humanoids we saw were at most Half-Klingon. Also, keeping in mind that Klingons live longer than humans, they may have gone through fewer generations than the others so their line would have been closer to the original.

Fascinating.

8. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Hasnt anyone considered the very obvious solution to a married couple producing offspring with others without having to betray their vows by having sex with another i.e. the star trek equivelant of a turkey baster.

If Bashir can shift the baby from Keiko's womb to Kira's on a transport shuttle with limited equipment he's clever enough to be able to figure a way to use the defiant medical bay tech to artificially inseminate people. This would have been a good solution for any crew members who didnt find anyone they particularly wanted to hook up with but still wanted offspring, or any same sex couples that might have occurred. For a couple whose species were unable to interbreed without the assistance of much more advanced tech than was available on the planet it makes sense to find willing crew mates to help with artificial insemination.

Also since the early days of the colony were busy surviving and it wasnt that large a crew i could easily see child raising duty being shared by all adults not just the childs biological parents. The biological parents would still have more claim/influence but the child would have a very large number of aunts and uncles constantly looking out for them. Children raised just as much by the community as by their parents which would also make it easier in cases where a child was the result of artificial insemination for a married couple unable to breed for all the parents to be equally as involved in the childs upbringing.

9. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You remember his wife though. I do not think he needed much convincing.

10. Melakon

What was wrong with her?

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A high percentage of fans don't like her and will take any opportunity to rip into her for no reason at all.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

That should read "A few vocal fans don't like her ....etc"

13. Melakon

Maybe those few vocal fans don't know what marriage can be like. ;)