MAN OF STEEL: Another look

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by david g, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

That whole idea doesn't see, right. If Goyer wanted to write Super,man, he should have written Superman.

You know, write a character we can be proud to show of to younger generations.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Like this baby?
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXAva_gO8Qk[/yt]

This little guy is precious and gives the kind of reaction you hope a character inspires.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Although I wouldn't show him the rest of the movie with all of the death, destruction & violence. Or the part where Superman y'know, snaps Zod's neck. :p

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. And anyone who responds with "now show the baby Superman snapping Zod's neck" should know it puts them in the company of a legion of mouth-breathing YouTube commenters.

Edit: And you've already gone and said it, JA! :nyah:

5. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahem.

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

:) Awesome video. I know just how that little guys feels.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Exactly! The whole argument doesn't fly with me. Reeve's Superman didn't have to "learn" how to be a hero, he just was.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

He spent a great deal of time learning to be a hero under Jor-El's tutelage before he saw any action as Superman, and then he eased into things, taking on small-time crooks and rescuing cats from trees.

9. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup!

ETA: On SMALLVILLE it took Clark 10 years!

10. Taylirious

Seriously he isn't gonna roll out of bed one day and be like; I'm SUPERMAN!

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I don't need a tutorial to tell me how to help people.

12. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Superman saved planet Earth from a genocidal maniac; who had the inclination and ability to kill every living thing on the planet.

It's factually inaccurate to say Superman didn't help or save anyone in MOS.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Clark helps people in Man of Steel (the bus, the oil rig, etc), but taking on genocidal super-powered fascists isn't something that comes easily right off the bat.

14. Taylirious

:bolian:

15. Taylirious

Yep. He saves Lois, his Mom, that family too.

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'm less bothered about Superman not thwarting the destruction, considering he was out of his league. There was just no time spent on the aftermath, and I said earlier the destruction wrought even after the World Engine was destroyed felt perfunctory. I suppose Zod just giving up would have been anticlimactic, but an extended hand-to-hand fight with him felt totally unnecessary.

17. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep. In the Donner film, Clark looks to be about 18 when he travels to Antartica. He looks at least 30 when he emerges from the Fortress as Superman.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with Aldo. But sure, like anyone else there needs to be a learning period for anyone. The smartest person in the world still needed to go to school.

But in Man of Steel, he learned almost nothing from Jor El save for a Disney World summary of the history of Krypton, and some time making sure the suit fits fine.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Which is both nonsensical and undramatic.

Yes, you do have to learn how to help people - and to do something useful in a lot of situations (as distinct from making oneself feel good about trying to help), one needs a lot more than a "tutorial."

The desire to do good may come naturally, but actually making a difference rather than ineffectually floundering or making a crisis situation worse most often requires knowledge and experience. My town's fire department doesn't hand out coats and helmets to whoever shows up on Monday morning with a strong innate desire to help out.

You know, the first time I see Supes do nonsense in a movie like, oh, reassembling a collapsing skyscraper at super-speed the way he would in a half century-old comic I'm going to laugh out loud.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True our perception of time can change, if we are enjoying something time can seem to fly past if we're not it can seem to crawl.

With regards to MoS, I would have been happier if the battle sequences had ended after defeating the world engine. Without the Superman/Zod battle but that's just me.