Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy on NRA Enemy List

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JarodRussell, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

http://nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=15

That's just disturbing. It's one of those things they did back in good old Germany to terrorize political opponents.

They could as well be saying "Don't buy from these...", "Don't watch films made by these...", and there you go.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The fact that an organization obsessed with guns has an enemy list worries me.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Judging from the lists, the NRA hates elderly people.

Well, they're probably rejoicing now that Ed Koch is dead.

4. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

The real Big Bads: American Academy of Pediatrics, American Medical Association, American Trauma Society, National Association of School Psychologists, National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, National Education Association, and National Safe Kids Campaign all make the list repeatedly.

It’s fortunate for the NRA that most of their “enemies” aren’t likely to respond in kind. Imagine organizations like the National Council of Churches, United Methodist Church and AARP targeting the NRA as enemies. Considering the length of the list, I would guess the majority of NRA members are also members of an NRA enemy.

5. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't surprise me, though.

6. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would have been a more efficient use of space to simply list the personalities and organizations that support the policies of the NRA....

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can understand them keeping a list of organizations that actively work against their goals... but putting together a list of specific celebrities who are also deemed "anti-gun" is unnerving. It's like they're encouraging their gun fanatics to keep aware so they can harass these people whenever possible. That's just wrong.

8. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish to be added to that list.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not only Picard and Spock, but Rambo, Bond and MacGyver!!!!!

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Do people who don't hate black people care about what the NRA has to say?

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Me, too. I've always said that a lifelong goal of mine is to be bashed on FOX News or talk radio.

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

They have a hate-on for Sandy Duncan? Seriously? I mean sure, some of them I can understand. Bob Barker will cut a bitch. And Ellen has Teh Ghay. But Sandy Duncan?

Also Nora Ephron died several months before that list was posted. So, just how accurate are the other names on the list?

I did find it humorous, seeing their legalese down at the bottom, that the "ILA" is the lobbying arm of the NRA. I mean, the NRA is nothing but a lobbying group, so ... why separate it out? Maybe those are the really extreme nutjobs ... The ones who have it out for Richard Dean Anderson and Beau Bridges.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Well, given how the NRA blamed Sandy Hook on Mortal Kombat, I would imagine their list is as up-to-date as their talking points.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well, I see AARP on there, but I never joined them (they sent an invitation at 50). And I had a shotgun for a few years, but never joined NRA. Not sure if I'm friend or foe.

15. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering what the true agenda of these people really is.

As a political tactic, the "enemies list" is unconventional, to say the least. Ordinarily, those seeking to advance a political cause or candidate advertise endorsements for themselves, not their opponents. This huge list of celebrities and organizations that endorse sensible gun control should be an effective ad for such policies.

Similarly, Wayne LaPierre's high-profile testimony that they want to arm themselves in order to fight against law enforcement and the American government almost seems calculated to scare the hell out of mainstream Americans rather than win them over, especially coming right on the heels of Alex Jones' rant on Piers Morgan.

Such tactics suggest that legislative success is not their true goal. Maybe their goal is to make gun lovers feel outnumbered and cornered so they'll throw more money at the NRA. Or maybe they're just insane.

16. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Stallone? Really?

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

How nice to find so many of my favourite people on that list...

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Interesting tactic to draw attnetion to those organisations and people that don't support your viewpoint.

Besides what ever happened to "Whilst I disagree with your viewpoint, I respect your right to hold that viewpoint"

The US 1st Ammendment deals with free speech, and yes that does include saying perhaps we should look at guns (or whatever the issue of the day is). The US constitution is fully open to being ammended, sure it might be difficult to do so but it can be ammended. Now of course no one is really talking about repealing the US 2nd Ammendment just regulating certain types of firearms.

The danager in holding viewpoints on the ends of a debate is that you can alienate a large grop of people. i.e in the gun debate the ends would be repleaing the 2nd Ammendment and having a free for all on guns. A lot of people might be somewhat neutral on the issue but should either side push their viewpoint to far they might come off as an extremists. There by pushing many of the nuetrals towards supporting the opposite of their own viewpoint.

19. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

WOW!!!

Scary stuff.

20. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't count myself as either a friend or an enemy of the NRA, although I do not own a gun and will never, ever own one. But I think publishing lists like this accomplishes absolutely nothing and will only drive more people away who might otherwise be at least halfway supportive.

I do think the Second Amendment needs to be looked at. Things have changed quite a bit in the world since it was originally written, after all. The Founders themselves were open to changing the Constitution, that's why they provided for it to be amended in the first place. I do not think we should get rid of all firearms, but there's no logical reason at all for assault weapons to be out there in the numbers that they are. The Second Amendment is badly in need of an overhaul to bring it more in line with the reality of life in the 21st Century and it has been for some time. Given the current political climate at the national and state levels, though, I don't see that happening anytime soon.