Reinterpretation of Star Wars IV

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by farmkid, Oct 15, 2009.

1. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

My brother sent me this link today. It's a very interesting reinterpretation of Star Wars IV (A New Hope) in light of I-III. It suggests a radical revision of some of the characters--not their actions, but who they are in the Star Wars universe. It's a very interesting read I thought I would share.

link

2. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I like bits and pieces of that analysis. Obiwan recognizing R2D2 and calling him, "My little friend" is great.

But overall it ignores what happens in Empire and Jedi in favor of setting up Chewie and R2 as master spies. Which is hilarious to think about, but makes no sense if we add in episodes V and VI.

3. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

I remember reading that sometime in the past, but I had forgotten the details. it IS an interesting read, although I think it is very interesting that there are so many plot inconsistencies in the prequels that you have to do this much retconning to try to make the story make sense.

In the end, I like the stuff about R2 and Obi-Wan, but I dislike the idea that Chewie is some kind of master spy.

4. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

It makes a lot of sense. Aside from the romantic stuff which can be tossed out, it explains a lot.

Lando and Chewie being the pair to go "undercover" for luke's rescue mission in Jedi. The fact that R2 knew of Luke's plan but 3PO didn't. Lando leading the attack mission on the death star (and his mentioning about a battle in his past implying a military history). Chewie's overprotective nature toward Leia in Empire... He only ever showed that type of loyalty two three people, Han, Luke, and Leia.

These little things do add up when you look at them.

5. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I think it's hilarious and someone should write that up as fan fic asap. It makes for a much better story than the Star Wars "saga" as it currently exists, that's for damn sure. Even in the two good movies, Luke, Han and Leia are pretty generic heroes. I'm all for SW as the secret tales of R2 and Chewie.

6. I dont recall whether R2 was wiped in 'Sith' or not, but if not, as the article seems to imply, then it's not even a question. R2 knows more than anyone else onscreen most all those times. He really is a spy.

7. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

This reminds me of that other thread. (also, Tag and Bink) What's R2 really saying? This guy suggests crude jokes, and I'm all for it. :) I wanna see a subtitled SW IV which gives Chewie and R2 lines that fit with this idea. (srt skills, anyone?) Even if they speak of espionage in front of characters who can supposedly understand them, you can just rack it up to them switching to other dialects of wookie/droid. Awesome! :D

8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a plan to re-edit and dub Star Wars to make the Empire into the good guys.

9. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering your board name, I'm not surprised, you long-lived Kaled.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Utterly brilliant. I lost it at this line:

Well, it'd mean the spat between R2-D2 and Yoda ("Mine! Mine!") is basically two brilliant tacticians pretending to be childish brats solely to screw with Luke's head.

I like that.

11. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that's a brilliant idea!

12. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

That was a test, and one which R2 seemed to be in on. Remember, Yoda was testing Luke the entire time to see if he should be trained.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

I think I've read that before, or a variation on it, but it's still great. I particularly like the idea of Chewie maneuvering Han and Leia together to avoid anything icky arising with Luke.

Of course, that's why Chewie turned down Leia's medal. He wanted Han to look more heroic in her eyes.

Definitely great material for a fanfic.

14. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. I could get into an Ender's Shadow-like retelling of the original trilogy seen through the eyes of the only surviving heroes from the Clone Wars. Very well thought out analysis.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is, and I do not say it lightly, sheer and utter genius. :D

16. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Nice article.

They should do a direct-to-DVD film focusing on CHewie and R2's plan, based on and revisiting the events of that film:
    Star Wars Episode IV and a half: Hakuna Matata :p :lol:

17. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

While I'd agree that R2 is probably the smartest and sliest character in the series, I'm not so sure about Chewie. It's entirely possible that Chewie is just a morose drifter after the empire subjugates his home. One who lucks into his chance for revenge.

18. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes more sense than the garbage Lucas dished up. Very well done, indeed!

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember from a "making of star wars" show, that the hospital orderly who was inside Chewbacca's hairy suit was speaking dialog. Love to get a hold of a cut with that intact, compare that to the superspy theory.

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

It would be great if they dealt with that in the Live action show or in the cone wars cartoon