Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I don't really see a "Big Three" at all in these new movies. To me it seems more like there's a "Big Two" with Kirk and Spock, and then there's everyone else, with Scotty, Chekov, Sulu, and (especially) Uhura getting more screen time than they might have had on TOS.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, how often have we really seen Kirk, Spock, and McCoy together at once and dominating a scene on the movie screen?

---TMP: An early scene where McCoy, Kirk, and Spock have an uncomfortable meeting in the lounge. Maybe the final scene counts, but Decker is there too, and the scene's mostly about him.
    -- TWOK: The debate about Genesis, otherwise, nothing major I can remember. It was Kirk and McCoy together, or Kirk and Spock.
    -- TSFS: No, other than McCoy had Spock's katra.
    -- TVH: Not really. McCoy voiced his opinion to Kirk and Spock about trying to find whales, but that was about it. Kirk and Spock paired off on Earth, and McCoy went with Scotty and Sulu. It was Kirk and McCoy in the hospital. There was some banter between McCoy and Spock on the Klingon ship.
    -- TFF: Yes. Marshmallons.
    -- TUC: Not really. It was Kirk and McCoy paired off, then Kirk and Spock towards the end of the movie.

So, as long as we have moments between Kirk and McCoy, and moments between McCoy and Spock, I'd say the movie will be pretty consistent with what went before on the big screen.

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Ugh, Uhura a gazillion times. No offence to Saldana, who did an excellent job with her character, but Avatar is a horrible movie...another completely obvious wannabe scifi flick off the production line, in which James Cameron can once again beat us over the head with misguided moral platitudes.

/rant

...sorry about that. :p

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Bones isn't very relevant in the movie . Aside from being Kirk's best friend and plot device, he is just another Mr. Funny Accent like Chekov and Scotty.

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

While I still hold to the opinion that the treatment of women in Trek09 with laughable, I do give kudos to this new movie in letting Uhura take on a more prominent role that I hope will be more than just benefiting the male characters. Like in the comic books that IDW have been releasing where she defies even Kirk's orders to save Spock and everyone on the Galileo Seven.

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't exactly laughable - I had my head in my hands. However, the comics are inching towards a more balanced approach. If that represents a greater awareness that they need more women, that they should stop replacing pre-existing female characters with yet more men, and that they need to update the women to give them more balanced roles, then this may filter through into the on-screen franchise. I will prepare a rant just in case they fail spectacularly again. If I'm honest, I'm expecting token female syndrome again, where the women are only given roles relating to sex/relationships with Uhura and Marcus obscuring that fact by being visible at the top of the chain.

7. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This isn't TOS Trek.

It's nuTrek or rebootTrek.

8. gastrof

Don't forget "The Lorelei Signal" episode of TAS.

With all the men incapacitated by the signal coming up from the planet, Uhura tells Scotty she's relieving him of command; half out of it, he replies "Very thoughtful of ya', luv."

She then orders that female-only security teams keep watch over the transporters and not allow anyone to leave the ship.

For a moment Christine Chapel's taken aback. "WHAT are you doing?" she asks.

Uhura doesn't miss a beat. "Taking command of this ship."

I won't get into her Kirk-like leading of the rescue party to the planet surface, and how she and her security officers handle the female aliens.

It made for GOOD Star Trek, even if the actual episode has to be supplemented with the novelized version to smooth out the wrinkles.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, there's also a very practical reason why she would go with Kirk and Spock to Kronos that doesn't upset the "big three" idea. She went, instead of even Sulu or Chekov, because she speaks the Klingon language. That certainly would be helpful.

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG+ didn't help matters much. If you ascend to commander or higher (Janeway, Necheyev, Shelby) then you must be an icecold bitch to get there.....much less so with Janeway than the other two admittedly.

11. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I give the Uhura/Spock transporter scene a pass for the same reason I gave BSG a pass for 'fraterinizing at the end of the world'. Because it IS the end of the world (or could be in the Trek example)...people don't think very logically in those cases.

Hopefully in the next movie, we won't see the XO and the Comm officer making out in front of the Captain while he taps his foot and whistles waiting for them to get their tongues out of each others mouth.

12. gastrof

Or their index and middle fingers off each other's hands.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the test Deanna Troi took to get promoted did require her to order holo-Geordi to kill himself to pass.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Janeway became a war criminal instead.

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lol - I give the ladies a pass because Shelby was ambitious to distinguish her from Riker, who was stagnating - there are many male characters with similar traits but we notice Shelby because there are few high profile officers to choose from.

And I LOVE Nechayev. She came across as stony-faced and ice-cold but in fact she was putting on her game face to deliver orders from her superiors she didn't actually agree with. I bet she was great fun at parties and she was fascinating to watch.

And a lot of it is perception - I've seen many people label Janeway as bossy. Well duh. Basically, if they have more women, these characters will be part of a larger, general mix.

I don't give the transporter scene in NuTrek a pass because it lacked all subtlety. A brief (and I mean brief) TOS style finger touch which catches Kirk's attention would have preserved their professionality, have as much significance to the couple (Vulcans are telepathic), and could have been underscored when Spock tries to give her a final message later. They delayed quite a few precious seconds snogging and emoting when an entire planet was at stake. It was dreadful.

16. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

You make a good point about spock/uhura snoging at the transporter scene. Some people didn’t like it. however they felt that they will give it a pass because there was a chance she will never see him again.(him going on a death mission and on).

Others said they should have done the finger touch thing which is equivalent of a Vulcan kiss. JJ and the writers did have that in mind however they felt that many of the movie viewers who knew nothing about Trek wouldn’t understand what it meant so JJ and his crew decided to have spock/uhura kiss like any normal couple.

More proof again that the 09 film was made to appeal to the masses

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The entire point of the Spock/Uhura transporter scene was to show that Spock was out of the closet. No longer hiding the fact that he has emotions, no longer hiding his affection for Uhura from the world.

You're so caught up on military protocol (how often has Trek cared about such things?) that you've missed the point of Spock's story arc, his coming out alegory. Which is sad. Everyone sees, they're all a little suprised, but they all accept it without question.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And now in the next movie they will be snogging all over the damn ship!!!

Oh well, I'm sure they will squeeze McCoy in there somewhere. Perhaps when he gives them the Vulcan/Human babies talk. I imagine it will be a lot crustier than when Phlox did it.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

He'll never do it better than Mordin Solus gave Shepard the various human/whatever talks in Mass Effect 2. :lol:

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And "ST:TMP" promotional artwork replaced McCoy with Ilia! And yet McCoy had plenty to do in TMP - and the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate, while threatened with longterm hiatus, was restored by movie's end.