Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just had a physical - nothing wrong with me! W00t!

Everybody should have one. Heck, it should be a requirement by law. I don't care how healthy you think you are. I don't care if you've never shown symptoms of anything at all since the day you were born. If any of you haven't had a physical in awhile, GET ONE. Do it right now.

I just had one, and I passed. So I'm healthy. I thank God for that. And so should y'all (or whichever higher power you choose to believe in). If your insurance covers this, and it should, then get it. If there's anything even remotely out of the ordinary, then you can get it taken care of quick.

And once you do, be thankful for your health.

(My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years ago, but this happened during a routine physical anyway. So they got it all out before it had the chance to harm him. If you all have physicals, you can have this kind of peace of mind as well.)

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I need to find a doctor before I can get a physical. I finally got insurance a couple months ago, but before that I was uninsured for 2 years.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ How do you get your insurance? Through work, or some other way? In any case they should have a list of providers for you.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just went through Blue Cross Blue Shield and bought an insurance plan. I know I can find a doctor. It's just a matter of doing it.

However, Illinois laws have changed recently, so I will going back on my mom's insurance next month. Since so many college graduates can't afford insurance, Illinois decided that they can now remain on their parent's insurance until they are 26, whether or not they are still in school. As I just turned 24 a couple months ago, going back on my mom's makes more sense than paying for my own.

5. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately my fielding needs some work, but my hitting is improved over last year. Went 1-2 today, so I'm up to .429, which is still pretty low for slow-pitch softball. :lol:

6. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    Went 1-3 today (.400 overall). Unfortunately, our offense doesn't have enough pop--even though our defense is good. I don't like managing an 0-4 team. :(

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Softball sounds like fun! I wanna play! Hell, I'd like to do anything with other people. All of my friends seem to have vanished off the face of the planet these last few weeks. The plus side of that is that I've been able to workout more focus on my diet, rather than go out and drink.

8. TJinLOCA

TJinLOCA Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Softball is fun! I wish I had a team near me.

I'm just waiting for the weather here to get cool enough for me to run ... or for me to start waking up early enough to get out running before it's hot. (I'm not sure which of those may occur before October or so.)

9. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we finally managed a win! Our defense has been tight the last few games, but there just wasn't enough run support. Today our people were making good contact, and I contributed by going 2-2 (.500 AVG) and finally coming around to cross home plate. I bought some used cleats earlier in the week, and those definitely helped my base running. With regular sneakers, I was doing too much of the slip-and-slide, even on dry grass.

Now I just need to stop feeling like Terry Francona. ;)

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

New gym!!

[​IMG]

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love how devoid of people it is. I hate working out when there are lots of people around.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well it was Friday at 9:30ish PM in a tourist town.

RAMA

13. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Allright, I'm checkin' in! Although unlike RAMA, I will not be appearing in the next Conan film.

I've been under Doctor's orders to get with it since last winter. Blood pressure has crept into pre-hypertension, and this is it. Get it down naturally, or pop pills the rest of my life. I'm 34, and have a very scary genetic tree in this regard.
    I began with eating better, eliminating disgusting evil diet soda and all sodas in general (except as a treat here and there - not in the fridge).
    I have not yet got into an exercise regimen, and the blood pressure reflects that. But last weekend, I worked a festival for the first time, putting in up to 20-hour days, and going up and down a formidable (for me) hill many times a day. In a few days, I got more of my wind back than I would have expected.
    I have lost 20# - I am 6' even and 240# down from 260#. Still a fat bastard for sure.
    But now that I've got my wind, and some motivation and energy, it's time to do this thing!

I believe strongly that a key component is mental health/spirituality. Just a short meditation twice a day, and my energy is much, much better. It's amazing really.
    I will either join a standard gym, or go back to the Dojo I used to study in. The Dojo is of course much more expensive, and the class times are ridgid as opposed to gym hours. I can only afford to do one or the other.

I'll post when I've decided which way to go - either way, signing up tomorrow. Procrastination is BS. I know I can workout on my own, in theory, but it's just not happening. Having that separate location worked for me previously.

(And yes, cutting out, ahem, smoking, is a component also. Compulsive, excessive smoking, has just been stupid, and its just not cool anymore to be that far out all the time. For anyone else with smoking and/or tobacco problems, I also highly recommend looking into the Magic Flight vaporizer. There's no reason to breathe in all the horrible crap that results from combustion.)

14. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG][​IMG]

I lost this this month. 10 pounds. It's a bit too much but I was zealous in the first couple of weeks. (The picture isn't me). Each pic is 5 pounds, 17,500 calories, and I lost two of them!

Switched to nonfat lattes at Starbucks, that's probably my biggest vice. And they taste just as good, it's not like the nonfat crap of old. But also cut the 10pm binges after work, making sure I have time to eat dinner. I haven't been much at the gym this month but I do walk at least 25 minutes daily.

Last year I did daily gym workouts but didn't target those lattes or quit BK, and the weight hovered. It was really frustrating! I came to find out the BK meal was the entire daily allotment of cals, and I was pouring lattes onto it. Just mindless habit.

Wish me luck I hope I can keep it up! I've still got some months to go!

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

What the frick am I looking at in that picture? Is it a tumor? An omelette? I am so confused.

Anyway...I finally have a workout buddy! He doesn't know anything about exercise, but he's come to the gym with me twice and is excited to continue. I made him do legs on his first night! :lol:

16. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is a model of human fat:

http://www.mypetfat.com/thetools.asp

Fortunately you don't lose weight all in a clump like that, but from all over the body!

17. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Human fat--fresh or fixed--doesn't look quite like that. It's more gooey. And yes, I do know.

More softball today. I went 3-3 (.600 AVG overall) but didn't advance past second base. I think I'll need to rearrange the order for our next game to stack our offense a bit better.

18. TJinLOCA

TJinLOCA Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back from my July 4 vacation ... gained 1.5 pounds after 5 days of dining out and drinking WAY too much (less than I'd expected, though). Time to get back to running and eating sensibly. Sigh.

19. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugly, ugly softball game today. Myriad problems, to which I contributed: 1-3 without getting past first base. Overall, I'm 10-18 (.556), which is over a hundred points better than last year, so I'm not totally demoralized.

20. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

I gained about 25 lbs in the last year or so. From 160 to 185 or so. Mainly due to stress around the holidays. I decided to lose it, so I started eating better and being a bit more active a couple of weeks ago. It's paying off so far, down to 180. I'm also setting up an exercise regimen that should stay in effect a month and a half before I have to modify it for classes.