ST-TMP 3 CD soundtrack...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Warped9, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I know this has probably been covered to death, but after getting the 15 CD complete TOS soundtrack from La-La Land I ordered the 3 CD complete ST-TMP soundtrack and am just now working my way through.

It's nice to hear pieces I don't recall from the film (which might have been edited out) as well as alternate pieces. There are also the differences between how a suite sounded on the initial soundtrack (first on vinyl then later CD) and how it was meant to sound in theatre.

Regardless of what one thinks of this film overall the soundtrack is fantastic. Of course like anyone else I have my favourite pieces, but it is truly evocative all the way through. This really is music of a band of valiant explorers aboard a mighty vessel voyaging into the alien unknown. :techman:

My favourite piece overall is the Enterprise Leaving Drydock. It's shorter and more heroic and exciting sounding than the suite accompanying the reveal of the refit Enterprise we hear earlier.

This isn't just one of the very best of Star Trek music. It's one of the best film soundtracks ever done, very well suited to its subject matter.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have the three CD set, also. I agree, it's phenomenal.
    One of the few instances I can recall where the score and the film itself are so intertwined, so thematic together as to be inseparable.

I can't think of TMP without that music, and without that score I don't know what the film would be.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Listening to the alternate earlier versions of some suites it's easy to see why Robert Wise was dissatisfied. There was no unifying them in that music. It sounded somewhat naval and sweeping, but there was no core, no identity to it and no real emotion.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Aside from the alternates, I don't think there are any cues here that weren't used in the movie.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You may well be right. Unless the music really grabs your attention it's rather easy to overlook it while you're focused on what's happening onscreen.

6. Christopher

^Well, I usually focus quite heavily on the music when watching TMP.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Actually, there is a partial cue that does not appear in the movie. The middle section of the cue TV Theme/Warp Point Nine was dialed out in the film from about 53 seconds to 1:17 (from the moment the ship jumps to warp to the point it reaches warp 7), then comes back with a bang.

8. Christopher

Oh yeah. I remember that now.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I like that part when the Enterprise finally goes to warp. The shot where the ship is seen coming out of the distance is very reminiscent of so many fly-bys we saw of the TOS E.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree completely with that. I have that 3 disk set too, and hearing it after listening to the 15 disk series set gave me a new appreication for Goldsmith's score.

That said though, I still think that title song does not suggest "space", so much as it reminds me more of an 1890's (or whatever decade that was popular) Barbershop Quartet.

I have no idea why that is, that's just what that title music reminds me of.

11. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is certainly one of my favorite CD releases, and La-La Land will continually get my praises for this release.

Combined with the TOS box, LLLR have proven beyond all doubt that they know how to treat Star Trek's musical legacy.

As for the score itself: One of Jerry Goldsmiths best works, perhaps the best he's ever done, IMHO.

12. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a big film music fan too, like OneBuckFilms, and as you can see I bought almost all the expanded STAR TREK CDs of the past few years. They're all complete, but the TMP set is so comprehensive it defies belief. They really threw in the kitchen sink!

THE WRATH OF KHAN is the one I play the most. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ :drool: Nice collection! I'm incredibly jealous! I have all of the old single CD soundtracks from back in the day. I did get an expanded TMP soundtrack, but it's not the new one. Cool stuff!

14. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, Dub. I just wish I had more free time to listen to it. :)

15. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just got most of the Deluxe Edition Soundtracks including the TOS Master Collection. I'm a happy camper. :)

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got them all plus Generations, which Zap skipped. Now if only the Deep Space Nine release doesn't sell out for a few weeks....

17. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got Generations too. Aside from the Main theme and sound effects. I couldn't really get into it. :borg: