Are there any good Star Trek games for PS2?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by EddyDrama, Dec 6, 2012.

1. EddyDrama

EddyDrama Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi, I bought a Playstation 2 a few weeks ago and after searching a bit in the internet I found out that there has been quite many Star Trek games for PS2, so are any of those games any good? I'll probably try to find them anyway even if they are not good, but it would help in prioriticing on what to get.

2. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force is an excellent game. While I would prefer to play it on PC, the PS2 version is also enjoyable.

~Belisarius

3. EddyDrama

Thanks, I'll give that one a go. I do own the pc version but have not played it in years, I do remember enjoying it back when it came out. I already own some non-Star Trek games on both the pc and ps2, so getting that one too wont be above me. :)

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I played a lot of Star Trek Encounters on PS2 and had fun, but from what I hear it's better on PC.

I also loved Star Trek Invasion on PS1 back in the day, but didn't care for Star Trek: Shattered Universe on PS2.

5. EddyDrama

Thanks, I did not know that there was a Star Trek game for PS1.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Voyager: Elite Force and Invasion (PS1) are definitely the best games on the PS2. They are both genuinely good, fun games. Encounters has some fun moments, but can also be frustrating beyond belief. Conquest is also fun, but I'm not a big fan of turn-based strategy games like that. Shattered Universe is probably the worst game on the PS2, if not one of the worst Star Trek games ever.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek: Encounters had one of the most frustrating control schemes I've ever seen in a game.

8. AHirogen

AHirogen Ensign Red Shirt

Totally agree. I bought the game. Planed on playing it all night long and ended up frustrated after about 10 minutes. I would't buy this game

9. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, probably one of the worst controls I've ever experienced in a game.

It kind of blows my mind that there hasn't been a GREAT Star Trek video game. And I've got a feeling that the one coming out this year won't be very good either.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have a feeling it may be very good if you're interested in a Gears of War-style game. I can't wait to pick it up. :techman:

11. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually never played Gears of War but, I'm a big fan of the Mass Effect series. From what I've seen the gameplay seems very similar.

I suppose I wasn't being clear about the new Star Trek game. I'm sure it's going to be a fun game, but I'm not expecting too much from it.

I'd love it if someone could make a Trek RPG with similar gameplay to Skyrim or the ME series.

But back to PS2 Trek....I thought Elite Force was fun, but it's definitely much better on PC. There were some fun console games on NES, SNES, and Sega. Best Trek game by far is Armada on PC.

12. EddyDrama

Thank you guys. :)

I have only found Elite Force and Conquest, but I am still searching for the rest of the games. Conquest was fun for about the first 10 times of playing, but it got really repetitive really fast. As for the Elite Force, I have to agree with what appears to be the common consensus here that it is quite good but better on PC because of the controls.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bethesda once planned to do a Trek RPG using the Elder Scrolls IV engine, but then they picked up the rights to Fallout and decided to do Fallout 3 instead. So, that was definitely a possibility at one time.