First glimpse of new TARDIS control room!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Chris3123, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does this mean we might get a new sonic screwdriver too? The console room and screwdrivers seem to change hand-in-hand.

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With all the changes in the look of DW starting this month, I"d be surprised if we DIDN'T see a new sonic between now and the end of this series...

Mark

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
  4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that too. Like a TMP or Voyager style warpcore. Not a bad thing, for me at least, as I like that style. Still, I would have loved to have gotten the 96 Movie Console room in the series.

Theory time: I wonder after having his hearts broken over Amy and Rory, if the new techno-Gallifrey look to the console room is the "Default desktop setting". The Doctor thinks he's over being a kid, he's "growing up" and he's putting away "silly toys and gadgets" and has become more of a "mature timelord".

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
  6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see a Trek influence as yet in what we've seen.

If you want a Trek-ish console room, Mike Tucker designed one for season 27. The console was suspended from the ceiling, and it all looks like something that wouldn't have been out of place on Picard's Enterprise.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed about the '96 Console Room. That remains my favorite televised set, although this guy over at TARDIS Builders has made an amazing mash-up of styles that would have worked brilliantly.

That's an interesting theory about the Doctor's personality. He's got such infectious charm when he's playing a kid, though, I hope he doesn't go too far the other direction.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Looking at the pic of the new foyer of the control room, looks like there are dark panels to either side of the door; methinks this is something they will use on the inside of the police box prop as well so they don't have to cheat the camera angles nearly as much anymore to NOT see the obvious inside of the actual box whenever they open the door. :)

It seems a little strange though as the alcove is pretty tight around the door, which would mean there's less room for people to crowd around it (i.e. when the Ponds and the Doctor were all in the doorway as Brian Williams was taking a lunch break). Still, it's a neat change. OTOH, it may even mean that there could be an internal door..?

Besides that, the sides of the entrance alcove look pretty sci-fi-esque but with that Gallifreyan script in evidence; looks like that will be quite a bit of the decor (besides atop the time rotor as we've seen thus far). Also, the alcove may actually be a step ABOVE the main level of the console room floor, as the railing angles suggest they lead downwards at a gentle slope. This may mean that when you enter from the outside, you would take a step or a ramp down, instead of up as in the previous two sets. Sorta like the old wood console room set or the Rani's TARDIS, or the TVM set for that matter...

Mark

9. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow! Really loving the more retro look.

11. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm... interesting...

Best part of Airplane 2 (the only good part.)

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ That....is....awesome. A very H.G. Wells feel and I like the separate controls in back.

13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Eww. Do not like. It looks...cheap. The console and the featureless floor especially look like they were built on a budget. Not thrilled by the cold color pallette, either. :(

14. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, I like it. They have finally gotten the proportions of the console "right" for me. The last two iterations haven't quite worked for me. This one seems to hark back to the proportions of the classic series and TVM - which is about the last time I think they had it spot on. I am happy.

15. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

The console reminds me of the one they had in the late 70s/early 80s. The room definately feels very classic-ish with a heavy use of white and grey colours. At least it doesn't look like it's made out of bits of junk anymore.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Actually it kind of reminds me of the old Blackpool Exhibition set... But I'm largely liking it!

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Did the console room set get smaller? Looks to be about the size of 9/10's again dome set.

Goodbye busyness(Twirly whirly things/ hot and cold knobs)

Hello functionality.

I know this is a tired comparison but it looks like something Power Ranger's would make(Power Chamber)

Still looks like a lower level is accessible.

The production crew can't really remodel the old 11th doctor Tardis since it was built INTO the Torchwood hub set.

No more glass floor! Thank goodness. The old set was practically a safety hazard.

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I totally love it.

19. Mark_Nguyen

Except for the plain floor, I'm liking what I see. The split-level motif is carrying over from the previous set, though it looks really stripped down - it was mentioned that the Doctor's hermit lifestyle we find himin at the beginning of the story could explain his motivation to reset the desktop, distancing himself from 300 years of happier times.

I get the feeling that we are only seeing part of the new set, and that it's not just a round console room we'll be introduced to next week. Based on the usual preceps of set design, the main doors may not be directly behind where the camera is placed in this picture, as this is typically where the cameras would most often be placed. If the doors are off to the side, there may be a lot more to this set than we've seen so far. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised once we get a good look... And i also still think that the set will change and get more homey once the Doc stops sulking.

Mark

PS : This a promo shot and not a screencap, right? The smaller monitor in the picture is blank green, in the mode we see before a burn-in graphic is overlaid.

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love the retro console, hate the solid floor. Love the hexagons, hate the cold color scheme. Love the functionality, hate the circles of blue LEDs. The time rotor's a big improvement over the last two, but it still looks like something reclaimed from Star Trek: Enterprise.

Hopefully, the set extends below the console to an area packed with TARDIS guts. I'm also hoping they haven't done away with the seating; I liked the way the actors would use the seats. You knew Eleven was tired or cranky when he plopped down onto one of his couches.

I'm also hoping the set's a bit more busy in other directions, with interesting things for the eye to linger on. And maybe good lighting will ease the coldness of the set.