Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sayonara maru, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about the episode when she decided to mutilate the kid?

Did they harvest how much genetic material from the baby to cure those klingons?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes it was lovely.

If she'd been pregnant in Treklit the angst over how her baby would look would have lasted one and half books and she and Tom would have been tragically separated by hurt feelings and miscommunication. And it looks like they will get the chance to rival Troi in the my-baby-makes-me-a-drama-queen stakes in coming books!

I really didn't like this part of Relaunch. In case you didn't notice.

If Janeway has a baby I will DIE.

3. Guy Gardener

When Dean came back form hell in supernatural with a new body the Angels made for him... "I'm a damn virgin again, and I have got to do something about that as quickly as possible!"

Did Janeway come back from the dead with factory specifications?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. teacake

She came back fully clothed which was the very specific choice of Q who felt she would be more comfortable that way rather than having all her molecules reassemble from the cosmos into fine fine nakedness. Idiot.

5. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Within the Janeway/Chakotay fandom there are two groups, those that hate the idea of offspring (generally called baby fic), and those that want offspring. Usually the former group consists of the older more experienced fans, but this is only in general because many older fans love baby fic. My self included "if it is done right."

What I do know is that given my experience (one child), and after reading what Trek Lit has produced in the past, I have to agree with Teacake here. I also hope that they refrain from having Janeway produce a baby. Trek Lit has many strengths, producing readable baby fic is not one of them.

I do have to note the passing into limbo (meaning it's available on the Wayback Machine), of one of J/C's greats when it came to producing baby fic. Although she and her partner only wrote baby fic as the precursor to what they were really good at, Voyager full of Teenagers. They produced four different scenarios calling them "Alternate Universes." Then as a crowning fic, they got those four alternate universes together.

6. teacake

As I said in one of the Eternal Tide threads in the Treklit forum I love babies. But babies are boring to read about. Treklit babies are both boring and deeply embarrassing to read about. I really do want Janeway to do whatever she wants to, and if she wants to have a child I will be happy for her but I just don't trust "them". Just like no one ever had a pregnancy without there being a crisis involved on soap operas I can't see them just letting this epic character have a few backpains now and then while Chak brings her a heat pack and rubs her feet. No, there would be drama, huge stupid ass drama and Chak would probably have another emo breakdown just for the heck of it. The baby would have super Q powers or be someone's messiah just when we got rid of the last messiah story line or be abducted so that both Chak and Janeway can have breakdowns. And ON AND ON..

I would rather they went back and got the lizards.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I know Picard and Crusher's child experience has been pretty uneventful thus far?

8. teacake

No, the pregnancy was full of angst. Awful page skipping angst from two people far too old for it.

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Too old for babies, or for angst? ;)

10. teacake

Angst!

It's Star Trek, you can have babies into your 50's I believe. Well, the women.

11. Guy Gardener

12. teacake

It's very sad.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

[Awkward Segue]

I stopped reading the paperbacks in the 80s, but it sounds like all these books with every single character becoming a parent must be boring as opening a box of candies and they're all the ones you don't like.

14. teacake

To be fair there are plenty of excellent stories in the books. Relaunch, which is the books set after the series ended has some fantastic stuff. This is just one element which makes me gag but there's plenty of things to enjoy about them.

15. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Hopefully, Teacake, the one offspring "in the wings" on Voyager in Trek lit will preclude any ideas of new Voy. fiction book including a pregnancy for the new Admiral of the Fleet, lol. (Of course, who knows, guess will see next year.)

16. teacake

I really don't want her to have any babies at all. I hope it never gets mentioned!!!

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is an ancient tale about an angry warrior. One day he was captured by a woman warrior. She dominated him for years, but he carried out her every whim. But one day, when the woman warrior's guard was down, he got her drunk and tapped that ass so hard she could hear the spirits sing. Then the angry warrior was no longer so angry. But the female warrior was when she found out she was pregnant.

18. teacake

You will die now R. Star.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:You know you love it, teacake! ;)

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam