Batman...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Complete with a bleaching agent . . . .

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

The tragedy isn't the scars on Harvey Dent's face. The tragedy is that Harvey Dent went from looking like Billy Dee Williams to looking like Tommy Lee Jones. Poor bastard. :(

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Well if you want a somewhat rational explanation Harvey Dent could have been suffering from Vitiligo. As he started to slowly lose his skin pigmentation he covered small light spots with dark makeup to match his natural complexion. But as it progressed the majority of his face was without his natural color so he started to cover the dark spots. So he did not need his whole face covered with makeup. This is how people with the condition sometimes deal with it.

Imagine the added effect of having acid thrown onto half of your face if you already had Vitiligo. He had lost most of his natural complexion and now he had permanent scars too. Talk about the loss of identity and psychological damage!

I know none of this is in the movies, buts its an interesting way of tying two actors playing the same role in the same continuity together.

4. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

After the theatrics of Batman, the Joker, the Penguin, and Catwoman parading through the city, it inspired the city go arty in a big way. They started by installing neon everywhere.

He didn't. The art lights just make him look that way.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Henry Harvey Dent was in Batman.

Harvey Bartholomew Dent was in Batman Forever.

6. Admiral James Kirk

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I just finished rewatching the '89 movie and I think it still holds up. I didn't like it al that much when it first came out, but I've come to think that Tim Burton was trying for a more operatic approach, with the big sets and dystopian setting of Gotham and I think it works better if you think it it in those terms.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except it carried forward the same Alfred and Commissioner Gordon. As far as I know, the only series reboot that's brought back an actor from the former incarnation in the same role is the James Bond reboot (with Dame Judi Dench). Unless you believe the security guard Lou Ferrigno played in The Incredible Hulk is the same one he played in Hulk.

9. Dick Whitman

Agreed. The Burton and Schumacher films are in the same continuity the same way Dr. No, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Live and Let Die, The Living Daylights, and Goldeneye are.

10. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Read once that Billy Dee Williams took the roll of Dent in Batman because down the track he'd get to do the transition to Two-Face?

11. Aragorn

Maybe he would've gotten to play Two-Face if Batman Forever had been Burton's movie. Chris O'Donnell said when he joined the movie, Michael Keaton was supposed to play Batman and Robin Williams was supposed to play Riddler. I remember reading somewhere that Rene Russo was going to be the female lead until Val Kilmer took over.

12. Admiral James Kirk

I remember Billy Dee doing talk shows in 89 saying: "I took the part because something is going to happen to my character down the line... but I can't talk about it right now." He knew all about Two Face from the start. I knew what he was hinting at because I knew all about Two Face and was excited to see Lando Calrissian in the part. :D

As for Michael Keaton and Batman Forever... from what I remember Michael Keaton decided not to do Forever pretty late in the game. I think they made Robin Williams an offer to play the Riddler but he turned them down. No idea why.

Personally I thought Kilmer was a cool choice. Just look at his build in that movie. He was friggin' built! He did a lot of the fight scenes himself! There was no close up of Kilmer and then a quick cut away to a long shot so the stunt man could do the fight. Kilmer was kicking, punching, running, jumping in a 300 pound rubber suit!

I don't care if you like BF or not but Kilmer was fucking impressive! Didn't care much for his Bruce Wayne though.

13. Aragorn

I remember reading this but have no idea if there's any validity to it, but it said Christopher Walken's role in Batman Returns was originally supposed to be Dent in the story and the electricity thing at the end is what would've turned him into Two-Face.

14. Admiral James Kirk

I've never heard that.

15. Aragorn

Well I'm pretty sure I didn't read it in a magazine, so it's possible someone just made that up. :shrug:

16. Dick Whitman

I have also read that an early script revealed that Max Shreck was the Penguin's older brother.

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC, they had to buy Williams' contract out to cast Jones in BF

18. Admiral James Kirk

Same thing happened with Marlon Wayans. Wayans was cast as Robin in Batman Returns but his part was cut. He was still contracted for another Batman movie so Warners had to pay him off so they could cast Chris O'Donnell as Robin.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had the opposite occur, I didn't think much if the movie but watched it last year as "Tim Burton's Batman" and really enjoyed it. Taken as such it's a really fun confection. It might help that I grew up with Batman since the 70s but didn't really know him from the comics.

You could probably say the same about Schumacher's films being uniquely his as well but it's not a vision I found so compelling.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I recall reading he was contracted for sequels. So when they decided to bring in Jones for Two-Face, they had to buy out his contract.