Could Fury have worked with a rewrite?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Oct 27, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If we're going to gender stereotype people's freetime behavior I think men and women both make some pretty atrocious choices. ;)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Scottish women don't drink?

3. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

During the fifth season, I sent a couple of spec scripts to the producers and had written out some sketchy outlines for episode ideas in the unlikely event that they would ask me to pitch some stories. One of them was basically the plot of "Fury", except there was no time travel involved.

Old, senile Kes was wreaking havoc on the crew because the Ocampa were going extinct and she blamed Janeway for "abandoning" them. After all the hand-wringing over destroying the Array and saving the Ocampa, it would have been a tragic turn of events to find out that it was all for nothing and they were a doomed race. I mean, between the short life spans and the biologically self-defeating mating cycle, it made sense to me. :)

4. Guy Gardener

Oh I agree, but here's the problem with Fury... It cited/provided proof that the Ocampa were fine, despite being locked in a box with waning batteries on a dead world with no water.

I imagined them resorting to Canabalism to survive.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That story would have made a lot more sense than the one we got. And wouldn't have required Janeway and Kes to know the entire future for the entire course of the show and just agree not to say anything about it.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    Honestly, the story mentioned in the post above was as bad as "Fury". It wouldn't have made any difference. Maybe it "helped" to put some ideas in Braga's and Fuller's heads when they decided to show the finger to the Kes fans.

personally, I've never understood why some people want character destruction. I mean, I thought liking a show was about liking the characters as well.

My "Coming Home" story would have been a great two-parter for season 6, much better than the insulting, character-destroying crap called "Fury".

7. Guy Gardener

You want happy!?

Every year since the Gift, Kes shows up late on December 24th, in full Santa regalia, to stuff the children on Voyager's stockings with presents.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No it has to be elf regalia. Neelix can be Santa.

9. Guy Gardener

And Harry can be Mr. Hanky.

10. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Absolutely. Make Neelix go insane after 1 person too many insults his cooking and have him plot something. Poison the crew, pilot the ship into a star. Etc.

Have Kes arrive in a fury to kill the fleabag:rommie: Kes preserved and the most annoying member of the crew gone.

(Kes was way too nice to be just crapped on like that.)

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think she should have just exploded in a corridor, blown out a substantial part of the ship. The survivors manage to limp to the nearest habitable world and that's the rest of the series because the ship is not fixable. Our crew become.. World builders. Federation starters. Starfleet ambassadors. But first the Captain must sacrifice some hair for the campfire.

12. Guy Gardener

Latent Image should have been about how Kes died.

Harry: It was so sad when Kes died.

Doctor: Idiot! Kes didn't die, she turned into a magic cloud and flew away. It was triumphant!

Harry: Yes, cloud, that's right, she turned into a cloud. Sorry, I forgot, a cloud. That's exactly what happened and no one would suspect or could prove otherwise. A cloud.

(I had this conversation in real life about the end of the movie Powder. A girlfriend of mine thought Powder committed suicide at the end which was sad, and I had to explain that he didn't die, he became one with the universe which was happy. Yes it's unfortunately true that I can't source high quality girlfriends.)

13. Lynx

:lol:

Well, why not? Maybe I'll write a special Christmas story about it.

14. Bad Atom

I never got to pitch that idea so the idea for "Fury" came from the staff. I do recall watching the episode and going "hmm, this seems familiar..."

15. Guy Gardener

It's a variation of Endgame and Timeless.

Bitter geriatric travels back in time to do-over past regrets.

16. Lynx

Then there are only Braga, Fuller and Michael Taylor to blame.

I hope that you don't find me too unfriendly, it isn't my intention to be that way. But I must admit that I'm a bit sensitive to "Fury" and the character destruction in that episode.

17. Guy Gardener

If the episode was called Furry, it would be about Neelix losing his virginity.

(He's waiting for marriage like good boy.)

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neelix admitted he had women before Kes in one of his jealous rampages. "I used to look at women like that!"

19. Guy Gardener

In the 50s Eye-Rape used to be called "looking".

(Of course now I'm just thinking about that time on the Guild when Feleica Day skull fucked Will Wheaton.)

20. Bad Atom

Not at all. I've always liked Kes, and I was surprised how badly she was handled in the episode. Even Jennifer Lien didn't seem into the story, she had no motivation, nothing to play. Better to pretend it didn't happen. :)