50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone mentioned supporting programming... anyone care to fill in the details for those who missed the amazing self-destructing press release?

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The Two Doctors was actually 135 minutes! The Three Doctors (but basically had 2 Doctors) was 100 minutes.

Mr Awe

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That was my initial instinct too, but, I believe when Starkers says "...75 minutes for 2 Doctors", he's referring to Smith and Tennant in The 50th (No Troughton/C. Baker in The Two Doctors)

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Thankfully, i09 copied out the key section:
    There may have been a bit more, but I'm not sure.

Edit: there was a bit more:

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I meant Smith/Tennant by 2 Doctors :)

An Adventure in space and time, a Brian Cox lecture on the science behind the show, a Culture Show special featuring some fan or other, a radio 2 90 minute documentary, the first 4 episodes on BBC 4 in newly remasted format, some unspecified programmes on BBC3....er...a cuddly toy, a fondue set...

I got nothing after that!

Ah see someone beat me to it. Actually I didn't do badly just from memory!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That may well be the case (Starkers' intent) but the comparisons to the other stories that mainly feature 2 doctors is still legit.

Shoot, even the TV movie (notably referred to as a movie and features 2 Doctors) is 89 minutes.

I'm set to enjoy the special and, as I've said, if it's a good story, I'm sure the running time will not be an issue!

Mr Awe

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

An official Doctor Who fondue set! Yee-haw!

Even better if there's a "Cooking in the TARDIS" special with celebrity chefs making novelty dishes like Dalek tartare, leg of Slitheen, etc. :)

8. Sindatur

Has anyone heard what BBCA's intention is with An Adventure in Space and Time? Will they air it? And if so, will it air back to back with The Day of The Doctor? Or will they air on seperate nights?

I hope BBCA gets it and they air back to back. I'm looking forward to the biopic as much as I am to The Anniversary Special

9. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And the Dalek already has a whisk!

I've always wanted a sonic fondue fork. :lol:

10. Brendan Moody

BBC America will be airing An Adventure in Time and Space sometime in November, but it's unlikely to be the same night as "The Day of the Doctor."

11. Sindatur

Thanks

12. Allyn Gibson

They will definitely be airing An Adventure in Space and Time; as coproducers the network financed the film.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well saying the average running time for a DW is episode of the current era is about 45mins (yes some have been longer) but 75mins or so is a reasonable length.

But who knows perhaps the Beeb will release an extend cut of it on BR at a later date. As for other programming is anyone really suprised that the BBC will be doing somesort of theme night/weekend for the show?

14. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup. Stranger and stranger still. Ah well, take what you can get and all that.

Still wish it had a few more former Doctors in it. And a few more minutes. And wasn't rewriting Doctor Who history for the sake of 1 episode that will never be mentioned again. And wasn't likely going to end with giant reset button. And...

15. Brendan Moody

Given the time they spent filming, an "extended cut" wouldn't add more than a couple minutes. The special was made on a 60-minute budget and schedule, so 75 is already a stretch.

16. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10 minutes of it is Matt Smith poking the Sonic into the camera for the six people watching in 3D.

17. Brendan Moody

Finally a reason to have had Colin Baker in the special: his waistline would be its own 3D effect.

18. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NEWS! NEWS! Actual information... no wonder the BBC took the info down right afterwards!

Seriously though, its a lovely pun, the title. I quite like it, as it were.

Anyway, to the discussion at hand, as is now... Well, given that the prequel episodes run at 4-5 minutes, and the fact that there's been a prequel episode filmed for the 50th anniversary, er, I mean The Day Of the Doctor, or at least it was alleged that there was one filmed, you could technically add that into its overall ength, thus it being 80 minutes long.

Which is fine, as I was hoping at least for an hour-long story.

19. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

Was there a picture of Rose at that link before the BBC removed the page? (Billie Piper in costume, I mean, not her stunt double.)

20. Allyn Gibson

No. A picture of Matt Smith from earlier in the year. Maybe a picture of Daleks as well.