The STAR TREK Movies, As Ranked By STAR TREK Con-Goers

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I can't, I just can't. Last weekend I put on the DVD with my girlfriend (who's seen all the others bar TMP) and we got to the Uhura dance and for the first time in watching Trek since 1979 turned it off, and put another sci-fi DVD from 1989 in the PS3 that simply blew it into the weeds - The Abyss Special Edition.

I love all the Trek movies in some capacity, but bar the campfire scene The Final Frontier is an absolute turd.

2. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I can't, I just can't. Last weekend I put on the DVD with my girlfriend (who's seen all the others bar TMP) and we got to the Uhura dance and for the first time in watching Trek since 1979 turned it off, and put another sci-fi DVD from 1989 in the PS3 that simply blew it into the weeds - The Abyss Special Edition.

I love all the Trek movies in some capacity, but bar the campfire scene The Final Frontier is an absolute turd.

3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-trek-into-darkness-named--worst-star-trek-film--073112668.html

the most awkward moment is when I see this list on yahoo main stream news, the whole world now believes this is what trek fans think when it is not really the case....My sister just said this list was plain stupid and she is a bigger trek fan than I am.

I know JJ has intense haters but This is too much.

poor man...am sure seeing how much people are voicing their hatred for this film he wont even consider been a producer for trek 3 talk less of been the director.

I would let rotten tomatoes do the talking.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

My question is: Who the heck goes to CreationCons anymore. . .those are sooooooo 1990s. . . and they really weren't that great, even then. . .

~FS

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a poll of one hundred fans at a convention and they included Galaxy Quest. Of course, being somewhat embarrasing it's been spammed across the internet by sites like Trekweb.com.

I've started a poll in General Trek, so we can see if TrekBBS members reflect their results. So far, they don't.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

My question is why does it even matter?

I didn't like the last two Trek films. I could spent whole threads trying to generalize people who do like the films to psychologically reassure myself that my opinion is the proper one, or I can just have my opinion and let other people have theirs.

I didn't like the films. There are a lot of Trek fans, however, who do.

There. See how easy that is?

Life's too short to be bothered by people who don't like you're favorite movie.
    So no critiquing of the movies should be allowed? Really?

Anybody attacking Abrams personally, as someone who doesn't care about what he does, or as a hack... yeah, I see that as over the top and stupid. But critiquing the movies themselves? That's what we're supposed to do. It's entirely appropriate to do so. No one's entitled to release a film and have the audience only say nice things about it.

7. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

My list for what it's worth... 4-6 tend to jump around a bit depending on my mood:

1: TWOK
    2: ST09
    3: STID
    4: TVH
    5: TSFS
    6: TMP (Director's Cut)
    7: FC
    8: TUC
    9: NEM
    10: TFF
    11: TMP (Theatrical)
    12: GEN
    13: INS

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I think the issue here is that perhaps you think my original post was aimed at you when it was not. Another poster said my thoughts summed up his thoughts and that was a reply to you.

I'm sure there are fans who simply didn't enjoy themselves. I'm sure you are one of them. I never said you were in that group of people.

But this is a discussion about "The STAR TREK Movies, As Ranked By STAR TREK Con-Goers" and my response was to the original post and my personal experience with many many people who have disliked the current film. Just adding my perspective to the conversation (which is what I thought this place was for).

I'm not bothered by them disliking a movie. I'm not bothered by an opinion being thrown in my face. I do get bothered if people want to have a debate but enter into it full of misinformation and/or half-truths.

10. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The only problem I have with this ranking is that it feels very reactionary. STID would not be ranked this low if it was already a few years old by this point.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's going to age well. When you think about it, there is nothing special whatsoever about it, besides the fact that the most pivotal events in this film are lifted from previous films. It's the most unoriginal of all the Trek films.

I don't think this film is going to be remembered well just because they have that cool super cool shot of the Enterprise rising out of the water.

12. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

We can't really tell if the movie will age well or not at this point, to make that judgment now would be more of an expression of one's opinion than anything of objective substance.

But about whether it is special or not, I view every Star Trek as special, even the ones I believe are sub par. But the idea that this Trek isn't special prove Comic's point, the fan base is reacting against this new Trek and prefers the old.

And the assertion that Into Darkness "ripped off" any previous Star Trek movie is cynicism of the worst sort and not something I would expect from a group that claims to enjoy Star Trek.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Again, I don't think we can make any sweeping generalization about what "the fan base" thinks. Less than a hundred disgruntled fans hardly speak for every Trekkie on Earth. There were probably more fans in line for the movie on your local multiplex on opening night.

Heck, I'll put my Trekkie credentials up against anyone who voted in that poll. :)

14. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's taking it a bit too far. I'd much rather watch Into Darkness instead of Insurrection and/or Nemesis.

The Voyage Home
    First Contact
    Star Trek '09
    The Undiscovered Country
    The Wrath of Khan
    The Search for Spock
    Into Darkness
    The Final Frontier
    The Motion Picture
    Generations
    Insurrection
    Nemesis

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I can never rate movies 1 through 12. I like to use letter grades because there are some Star Trek movies I think are equally enjoyable to me. For instance I enjoy Star Trek I, II, III, IV & VI equally.

16. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

STID isn't even ranking that low now. That is a very suspecting poll considering how well polls here at TrekBBS, TrekMovie, etc., place it.

Doesn't help that sites like The Guardian are posting this as some sort of gospel (which is completely ironic considering the response threads on those articles ALSO paint a very different picture.)

Although good thing when someone in the general public see's the word "Trekkie" they stop paying attention immediately anyway, and that's speaking as one!

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I suppose it depends on how you define a ripoff.

I found Bennett's reuse/reworkings of TWOK sequences in TSFS to be a ripoff, and what really made it bad is that the reworkings are inferior to what was done the first time out. The cynicism at work there is coming from the creators, not the audience, in their belief that they can just keep coughing up differently tinted or polished replicas and expect folks to eat it up as mindlessly as general audiences devoured crap like MOONRAKER, to cite an example going back to the time of TREK's feature debut.

By way of comparison, even though folks say TMP is just a rip on CHANGELING (and I initially agreed), I'd say that it pushes beyond that, so I'd cite it as a failing but not a wholly crass criminal one.

ID's lifts felt so wrongheaded to me (and to my wife, who is not even a devotee, just a casual viewer, and yet was incensed enough to turn to me in mid-viewing and say THIS IS not STAR TREK!) that it just seems like something you might get in a fanfilm or from LucasLand.

18. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Ironic isn't?

this people are the same people that JJ, Orci and the rest of the writers and producers went out of their way to please. that was why they did all the classic trek shout outs and excess homages in STiD.

Now the same people that they were so desperately trying to please have bashed the film endlessly.

Cue for the producers of Trek 3.

Please do your own thing next time and don't try and please a selective group of people.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  19. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Yeah, but the problem is if he ignores folks, he also gets bashed for not placating to the fans.

Hmmmm.... It's like... It's like it's some kind of a 'No-Win Scenario'...

Damn it, JJ! Stay away from TWOK already!

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

They could have taken a page from Meyer and done it in the vein that 'I owe allegiance only to the stuff in TREK that works for me, and it is my job to make people want and like my vision' ...

thing is, you have to HAVE a vision in order to pull that off -- and some talent. Otherwise, many will harp on the homages as well as the inconsistencies.