The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by backstept, Oct 27, 2011.

1. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah I didn't really care for the oblivion gates . . . I only went in the main quest ones on successive playthroughs
    it got a lot boring after a while . . . islands in a sea of lava . . . fight your way to the top of gory towers etc . . .
    it would have been great if they went to different types of worlds

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I love these games, but after thinking it over, I'm going to wait on Skyrim until I can get a new computer that'd be able to handle the PC version. TES games just aren't the same without the awesome modding community.

3. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is the best race/class for sword fighting? I like melee classes that rely on dishing out physical damage with high hit points. I looked at the races and I think Nord fits that but what do you guys think? What race are you going to play as?

4. backstept

I'm probably going to play a Nord, Orc or Argonian
    the thing about Skyrim is that there are no classes. You can be a giant hulking Orc mage, or a short Bosmer(wood elf) warrior with heavy two handed hammers
    whatever skills you use most level up quicker, and the more you level your skills the closer you get to the next level where you get a perk, and you can pick whatever perks you want. When you level up you get to increase Health, Magicka or Stamina instead of a ton of different skills like luck, agility, strength etc like in oblivion
    your play style determines your class . . . I like to use two handed swords, and also sneak and I can :D

so to answer your question: all of them :D

5. 6079SmithW

:brickwall: I think I'll just play one of the human races because the rest are too damn ugly imho. I don't like playing as a non-human.

6. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Pretty bloody terrifying is what I call it. Bethesda doesn't know a thing about FO. They really should let Obsidian, aka Black Isle MKII, do FO4.

7. Newton

Newton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True, Bethesda's story writing leaves a lot to be desired. They are, however, one of the few games developers that are at least attempting vast, open-world games (even if their games are buggy as hell).

I do hope that Obsidian have a part in creating the game, considering how much better FNV was than F3, but I doubt they will. Well, maybe they'll develop F4.5. :)

Either way, I know I will have fun with Fallout 4, considering I spent over 500 hours playing F3 and FNV. Yes, I have also played the first two.

8. Skywalker

Ideal scenario: Obsidian writes the story/dialogue/what have you, but neither they nor Bethesda do any of the actual programming. :lol:

I like both companies, but damn if their games aren't always bugged to hell. Especially Obsidian's.

9. Winterwind

Having been friends with several of the old BIS developers, some of whom are obviously at Obsidian, I'll defend them: Obsidian lack the capital to be publishers. As such, they can't always test out their games entirely or patch what needs fixing. That's the decision of the publishers.

Wonderful case in point is Bethesda pulling the support plug after the last DLCs (Lonesome Road and the two item DLCs). Hello? What? You're releasing three DLCs and not a final patch. You always release a patch after a DLC, especially three.

Support is the publisher's responsibility and IMO, Bethesda really screwed the pooch and a damned enjoyable game from Obsidian.

10. Skywalker

Thanks for the knowledge. :techman:

I guess that also explains KotOR II. Damned LucasArts rushing that game just because they wanted it out by Christmas...

11. Winterwind

You're welcome. And yeah, sadly, it happens a lot.

I will thank Lucas Arts for one thing... they had to "approve" my website when we published a two-part interview with Chris Avellone from Obsidan (KotOR2's lead designer) back in the day.

12. 6079SmithW

I bought Oblivion so that I'll have something to play the week before Christmas when I (hopefully) get Skyrim. :P The achievement list for Skyrim is out by the way. Apparently you can get married. ;)

ETA I think i'm gonna be a Nord in Skyrim and a Breton in Oblivion.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  13. backstept

who else gets chills when listening to the theme song?

14. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've just started playing Oblivion (Yeah, yeah, I run a few years behind the times when it comes to games -- too dang pricey imo), and I have to ask -- is there a way to fix/lock the camera angle? Egads, it's driving me wonky during combat... *gggrrrr*

Overall, though, it seems like a decent game.

Cheers,
    -CM-

15. backstept

Oblivion is meant to be played in first person . . . the third person mode is jokingly referred to vanity mode so you can view your character's outfit etc . . . not really meant to be played 100% third person
    if you're on PC there may be a mod to make the third person view more to your liking
    www.tesnexus.com

from what I hear Skyrim will have a better third person experience

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Heh, yeah, the third-person mode is a joke in both Morrowind and Oblivion.

17. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hrrrm. Okay, thanks!!

Cheers,
    -CM-

18. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Should I get the PC or PS3 version?

The PC version is substantially cheaper, but I'm going to wait a short while anyway before purchasing it, so what should I get? I have a laptop that's capable of running Skyrim, and I also have a 40+ inch plasma with a PS3 hooked up... Decisions, decisions...

19. backstept

if your laptop has HDMI ouput (or if your TV has a VGA input) then go for the PC version
    if you don't want to mess with getting your PC hooked up to your TV then get the PS3 version :D

20. backstept

I forgot that the BBS doesn't like shortened youtube links
    here's that live action trailer from the OP

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AenlOEXao[/yt]

and an awesome fan remix
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMiWang7LEA[/yt]