50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure about that 8pm slot. Lots of things argue against it (BBC1 has to run the lottery, the Excel centre usually closes earlier...)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought I read somewhere it was airing 7 PM London time?

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

No trailer, no nailed-down timeslot, little real promotion....

If this were a football club, the papers would be yelling CRISIS!:lol:

"CRISIS! Beeb doesn't know Who's "Who" as 50th Approaches"

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But the BBC never start promoting things until a few weeks before they air? They only realy started advertising Atlantis a couple of weeks ago.
    Typical really, the Beeb can't win. Not so long ago people were complaining they were milking the announcement of Capaldi and being too in everyones faces :lol:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The reality is, fans like us will know the date of this special and don't need reminded. The casual viewer will be happy enough to be told about it a few weeks beforehand and indeed that's all the advance notice they need. They won't (and for the most part can't) start setting their Sky Plus and DVR two months in advance.

I expect the BBC to start hyping the hell out of this towards the end of this month or even start of November and that will do the job.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Exactly. The BBC as has already been said don't advertise massively 'till a few weeks before broadcast of a new series or one off episode in this case. We all know when it's airing, so I don't get why there seems to be such unrest over it.

As for when it's being broadcast on the day, my money would be around the 18:30 - 19:00hrs mark, it will also require a bit of juggling of programmes including a very early, or split episode of Strictly, but is that the weekend of Children in Need?

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Fan entitlement, that perpetual bane of Doctor Who fandom. :)

There's unrest because two trailers have been shown, in San Diego and Edinburgh, months ago, and because Steven Moffat has said dark and menacing things about what will happen if camera phone copies leak. A select few got to see something that no one else did. For many people, that's fine. For some, it's not okay at all. It wasn't okay at the time, and it's not okay the longer it goes on. Plus, the longer it goes on, more people who were originally fine with the fact that the trailers were limited and exclusive cease to be okay with it.

Do I think the general public in the UK cares? No. I'm not even sure the general public in the UK knows that there were trailers for "The Day of the Doctor" in San Diego and Edinburgh.

It's the little bubble of Who fandom that knows. And cares. And is agitated about it.

It's been interesting to observe. The psychology of this is fascinating. Speaking as someone who works in marketing, I totally get the BBC's marketing approach -- it's all about hammering in November 23rd to the Not-We audience and getting them excited, and you don't do that four months out for a television show. Contrary to what I posted yesterday afternoon, I don't think the BBC is deliberately trolling Doctor Who fandom. If there's trolling, it's unintentional because the BBC knows that the fans will be there irregardless, but with fan expectations as high as they are, they risk a serious backlash in November from some quarters, a backlash that has the potential to blindside them.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

: (

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

You should have added "GET OUT!" to that post.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Do you know when the show is going to air? Are you worried that you are going to miss it?

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

LOL, on one side, we have the thread proclaiming "There's so much hype, I'm afraid this is gonna suck as bad as ST:Nemesis" (suckitude of ST: Nemesis is debatable) and then we have lots of folks proclaiming "Where's all the hype and the trailers, it's only a month and 3 weeks away" (And some proclaiming that proves it's gonna suck, or else they'd be hyping it and putting up trailers to let us know details)

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Welcome to modern fandom.

http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-timely-realization.html

13. Bob The Skutter

^That's what's so weird. There is both too much and too little hype. They hype everything "There's an embargoed press release" then it comes out and tells us something we knew months ago. They hype that there's a trailer coming then give us a hashtag, they go on and on about stuff and give us merch but they don't actually give us any content. Just fluff and marketing ops. It's all very cynical with very little real celebration of 50 years.

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Like I said before, I still think it's too darn early to really start hyping this! Wait until November!

Mr Awe

15. Bob The Skutter

I don't disagree on this point. I don't mind if we don't get a trailer until the usual timescale. Only on the fact they hype and when we get it it's nothing. Hype for something worth hyping not for a piddly little hashtag.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

In the home market, maybe it's too early to start hyping this.

For markets outside the UK, it's not too early at all. In fact, it's getting to be too late in some ways. American television series usually have their debut dates locked in months in advance and commercials on the airwaves six to eight weeks in advance.

I realize that BBC1 is the dog and everyone else is the tail, but BBC1 isn't wagging the tail when it needs to be wagging.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

But the date IS locked in. And one could make the case that the Doctors Revisited is BBCA's way of leading to the anniversary.

Does any Doctor Who fan NOT know when the anniversary is going to happen?

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I honestly don't understand why anyone expects much (if anything) with over a month left to go.

Joe Average viewer is who the marketing is aimed at, and they don't schedule their viewing over a month in advance (Those of us who know it's coming November 23 will be there regardless what the trailer shows us, and we've had our viewing of it scheduled pretty much for a couple of years now, LOL)

You start the hype months in advance, and it really will be a case of the hype dying out and/or being unable to live up to the hype. Also, you'll end up with Joe average viewer thinking it must've already aired and is a repeat, by the time it finally does air if you get them all worked up months in advance

LOL, Christopher, that comic panel is so true for some folks, it seems

19. Mr Awe

OK, that's a good point!

Mr Awe

20. Mr Awe

No, in the US, they wouldn't normally hype a specific show months before it airs. The date might be locked in months in advance, but they're not usually hyping it at that point.

Mr Awe