Transporters in the nuVerse [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flake, May 13, 2013.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If transwarp beaming were depicted as essentially risk-free and completely practical for large-scale use, then that might be a worthwhile objection. Has it been shown to be so?

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well its 2 attempts and 2 successes so far in 2 movies. Comics/Novels don't count. Seems to be ok so far!

3. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Scotty ending up in a tank full of water and almost dying isn't exactly a ringing success (even if the payoff was played for laughs).

Also I am pretty sure the the writers have stated that if they touch it it is canon. So the books and games and whatever else they have a hand in counts. In fact I am pretty sure they reference events of both the comic books and the recent game in the film.

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

They beamed Scotty into a tank which nearly killed him.

The second time they did it they beamed Spock and Kirk onto the Narada's bridge.

The Dominion and S31 appeared to have this technology in DS9, but it was conveniently dropped for plot reasons.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They classified Scotty's transwarp formula, and watching this movie makes it clear why Starfleet wouldn't deploy it as a means of space travel or exploration any time soon. As Admiral Kirk said of the Genesis Device in TWOK, it's a bag that could rearrange the whole Galaxy, and best that as few people as possible even know it exists.

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. I certainly wish I didn't know about it.

7. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

People have an issue with a new way to transport? Only ST nerds, I am just saying......

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You also have a right not to see the movies if you think that they suck, and to stick with the previous versions of Star Trek on home video.:vulcan:

9. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh you are right. Casual viewers don't even pause to think about the knock on consequences! I've played role-playing games for decades so I can't divorce myself from the 'rules' of the game and how they can be applied by anybody where circumstances permit. A high level spell like interstellar transport changes the whole dynamic of the universe in ways you can't even be bothered to imagine!

Leave me to my imagination and I'll leave you to your inferior Trek. :klingon:

10. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just hate trans-warp beaming in NuTrek. Just before SO9 came out 4 years ago i made a point that they should have limit transporter tech and only made available via transporter pads. This would have ended site to site beaming and use of shuttles being more used in NuTrek. Sadly Abrams and co went other direction and invented trans-warp beaming.

11. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I think Transwarp beaming is on ice with the augments. But they didn't need to use it at all. They could have said prime Spock erased the equation after they beamed aboard Enterprise in ST09. And Scotty forgot it. Or how about never mention it again.

If any of JJ's team monitors this board, don't try and fix things like this in future films again. It causes too much trouble. Just act like they never happened. For example, I haven't heard about Genesis since ST:TVH.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus Scotty's.

To be fair the comic one can be written off by the fact that Scotty used relays to boost it and had the transporter at Starfleet Academy to receive the beam aka all the things necessary plus some extras for safe transwarp beaming as in the movies the lack of a receiving pad was I believe the main reason it was so dangerous.

In fact it looked like the only reason Khan thought using it was a good idea was that he had an empty place on Kronos with lots of open space to materialize at safely otherwise it would have a suicidal risk to try it.

13. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

It would have been just as easy for them to have Harrison to beam to the moon or something and hop on a ship. I really wish they had done that instead.

Especially since it seems to only take the Enterprise a couple of minutes to get from Earth to QonoS (Voyager could have been home in a weekend!).

14. Jazz

Jazz Ensign Newbie

This. I was thinking about it in terms of cloaking technology as well. The Federation (specifically Starfleet) obviously has the means to recreate cloaking technology but does not use it (with exception) because they are not the type of organization to be known for sneaking around and dealing in the dark. Transwarp technology obviously has its advantages but with the events that took place with the torpedos in the film, I think it's clear it would do more harm than good at this point.

15. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think the Enterprise uses a quantum slipstream or transwarp drive in the reboot. Its the only workable explanation for the travel time to Kronos.

The Vulcan travel time in the last movie is ambiguous but I think a few hours. Still really fast. It indicates Kronos is either way closer to Earth than Vulcan or the Enterprise has upgraded its slipstream drive this time :)

I think its about 0.75 light year per second for Earth to Kronos based on 90 light year distance. So 75000 light years for Voyager at Star Trek Into Darkness speeds would take a day or so. The whole galaxy is within a days warp.

If the Enterprise warps into the cosmos away from Earth at Star Trek Into Darkness speeds for 3 years of its 5 year mission it will travel: 71 million light years.

16. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Long range transporters I beleive were established in DS9 anyway as Section 31 were able to beam agents in and out.

My thought is its just supressed due to security implications. That and unless you know were your beaming too exactly and time it right it can go horribly wrong.

17. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

If they at least established a 20% death rate, then it would rule out its use except in emergencies.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It may not have caused a full on accident so far but it seems to have the worst habit of dropping people into deadly situations on arrival, Khan beamed risk free, but to one of the deadliest parts of the Klingon homeworld under a collapsing moon.

19. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

I would also go with the idea that even in the normal time line it exists (like how Sloan could come and go as he pleased on DS9 and how the Pa Wrath cult managed to beam kiera over to terak noir) but its extremly classified tec and hard to get hold of and difficult to use.

20. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

It did exist on DS9 in the prime timeline, and was used by the Dominion (in particular Dukat) to get to certain places (he even used it at the end of the episode mentioned by you in question).

Frankly, I think that the cat's out of the bag on this one, and the UFP can't just undo the use of transwarp beaming-they'll have to let Starfleet use it in order to accomplish certain things in the future. Who knows what it may have to be used for? Besides, if Gary Seven and his friends can beam from planet to planet, so can the UFP and Starfleet.

BTW & FYI, the words are 'Kira' and the actual name of the station in question where Kira was beamed to is Empok Nor, not Terek Nor (which is the Cardassian name for DS9 itself).